I Just Bought … (the SW Shopping Diary)

This one arrived yesterday.

6 Likes

Got this one on ebay for £4 … not too bad a deal :wink: As good as the Eureka release is, I hate the idea of the unnecessary cuts of horse tripping.

The quality is very nice, and has a slight yellowish hue, though not as strong as the Eureka yellow. This version has Italian and English audio … and as an extra, very short clip (about 7 minutes) of Leone and his family talking about this production (VHS Quality)

6 Likes

Oh aldo, don’t you feel so much safer knowing they’re going out of their way to shield us from such content? I for one am forever grateful.

1 Like

I’m sure I was already sullied years ago when it was shown on TV without these cuts … :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

British Board of Film Classification (BBFC ) need to get off their high horse (pun intended) and stop fucking around with works of art … just because of this current fashion for protecting 1% of the population … or however this crap is assessed!

3 Likes

the law is from 37

1937 … but I’m certain that these horse trip cuts are a fairly recent phenomena - I’m going to dig out my old DVD copy of ‘Fistful of Dynamite’ … and see if the horsy action at the bridge has been tampered with.

When I say, ‘Current Fashion’, I was referring to the excessive attention over making all of society appear to seem politically correct and inclusive etc … as if people growing up in the 1960s and 70s were all hate mongering racists and generally a bunch of insensitive misogynistic and homophobic thickos. Yes, there were plenty around, unafraid to voice their opinions … but to pretend that they’re not still around today because of some, ‘One Size Fits All’ legislation is at best naive.

3 Likes

Although the Cinematograph Films (Animals) Act dates from 1937, its widespread application is a relatively recent trend. For instance, ‘Andrei Rublev’ (featuring probably the most brutal horse fall in cinema) was routinely passed uncut for home video by the BBFC in 1991, 2004 and 2016. It’s only with a proposed blu-ray release in 2018 that it ran in to any censorship problems with the BBFC. But they often applied double standards regarding such cuts anyway.

Regarding ‘A Fistful of Dynamite’ and the BBFC - a 132min version in 1988 and a longer 147min one in 2003 were both passed uncut. However, for the Eureka blu-ray in 2019, the BBFC commented - ‘Cuts required to remove two shots of a dangerous horse fall in accordance with BBFC policy on animal cruelty’.

2 Likes

Thank you, Montero for the clarification regarding ‘Giu la testa’ … so this confirms what I was saying, that this type of censorship is hypocritical nonsense.

On UK TV we are now warned before any film begins that there could be content that may cause offense … it’s such a flimsy way of placating anyone who wants to make official complaints and potentially get the television companies in trouble.

The horse tripping/animal cruelty issue is just one very small part of the censorship problems societies are imposing on themselves. Has horse racing been banned on TV yet ? … I actually don’t know … but it’s very common place for horses to die during sporting events like the Grand National … so what’s the thought of the hypersensitive broadcasters on this question?

Some more info on the subject:

4 Likes

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: The Forgotten Pistolero / Il pistolero dell’Ave Maria (Ferdinando Baldi, 1969)

4 Likes

Just pulled the trigger on the Sabata trilogy … loved these as a kid, even though ‘Return’ is poor, less said the better :wink:

9 Likes

Just pre-ordered the gorgeous new ‘Blood Money’ BD boxset, due out on July 24th.

7 Likes

I bought the blue Terence Hill Lucky Luke box 3 yesterday and now I have them all :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Added these 4 to my collection. 3 of them are without english subs or dubs…

6 Likes

The two on the left. Can you check if these and all the technical details are correct in the database?

1 Like

The info for the Santana dvd is correct.
Here’s a picture of the menu for the other one ( the Steffen/Berger movie).

1 Like

I just bought (well technically a week ago) Une corde, Un colt on blu ray. Unfortunately, the blu doesn’t have French audio, which it has on Netflix, but on Netflix it says runtime 88 minutes, whereas on Arrow’s edition it says 90 minutes. Is one of them cut? Which one should I watch first? Any help is appreciated.

5 Likes

I think the 2 minutes difference might stem from alternative use of opening/closing credits etc. The German BluRay has the French audio.

2 Likes

Thank you very much. I wish I had gotten the Plaion Blu ray instead now. Looking forward to watching the film

1 Like

Always consult the SWDb before shopping :slight_smile: