Will there ever be a new Spaghetti western?

http://www.ilgiornale.it/a.pic1?ID=55595&PRINT=S

A translation best I can do,

The Journal.It
20/1/06 page21

The Spaghetti Western returns but with State Monies
By Michele Anselmi

More than 3 Million Euros assigned the film with Franco Nero: grandfathered from the old laws for financing “cinema d’autore� first ciak in March.

Michele Anselmi

Rome

Teorizzavano: Enough of artsy fartsy “three rooms & a kitchenâ€? cinema, time to return to the genre of “popular cinemaâ€?. And what is this, if not the Western, with or without spaghetti. It was therefore that the, 17 June 2003 prodigal ministerial commission person in charge to choose decided films “of national cultural interest” that “The Implacable Onesâ€? re-entered in the category, entirely to the detriment, of two small women, a musical comedy, the Love story, and a history of Anita Garibaldi.

Three years have passed, the law fortunately is changed with the introduction of the reference-system, the amounts of money are diminished in order to avoid speculation, the experts of that commission have left the place to other experts (hopefully themselves stricter) and the popular “genres” do not seem to fare well. But “The Implacable Onesâ€? of Enzo G. Castellari, starring Franco Nero will be made however. At least therefore it was announced by the 64 year old actor, in an interview to the Capri Journal.

At this hour it makes the actor very happy, from his point of view, to see the progress in the long brooded plan: he was in Django for Sergio Corbucci and Keoma for the same Castellari, an authority in fact of italico western, he even threatened to chain himself to the Center of the Ministry to the Cultural Assets, to the Times of the city, if the film had not had the ok.

In the end, in the project suffered passage between old and new rules, The Implacable Ones has endured some adjustments to the budget (less 20%) and a change of productive titles (from the Mariella brace Them Sacchi & Amedeo Joy to the Medicei Arsenals), but it cannot complain: to 3 million and 100mila euro it piles the public financing, although subordinated to the European finding of partner for an other 50%. And in fact, between English, French and Spanish (more Euroimage with approximately 700mila euro), a considerable figure of nearly 8 million euro would have to be caught up.

To being, in order to respect the terms of law, the resumptions would be due to begin within 16 December 2005. It turns out instead that they have been working in studio only with the sequences without actors, in “blue screen”, and to use them with montages; and in fact, correctly, Nero has explained that “the first one ciak is to be previewed within two months”, that is in March, in Almeria, to complete the casting. This happens in the cinema, and it is not too scandalous.
In the meantime, The Implacable Ones, also be called The Bad Landers, has assumed the “Leonesqueâ€? subtitled “the Angel, the Bruto and the Test”: They would be three adventurers without scruples, working for an American Senator in an attempt to gain popularity in an upcoming election, by capturing an bloody-thirsty Indian warrior Tawanka, similar to Geronimo: but in truth the warrior has decided to go to die in peace in the land of his ancestors. Nero speaks of the film as a homage to Sergio Leone and John Huston, but it also references the glorious memory of the The Professionals of Richard Brooks, where a “quatroâ€? (four) of bounty-killers find themselves chasing a wild Mexican outlaw who is mistakenly believed to have kidnapped a woman.

Here, is the latest scoop, the three “jackals” will be played by Franco Nero, Keith Carradine and Christopher Lambert, while the Indian Tawanka could be Rodney A.Grant, who played Wind In His Hair in “Dances With Wolves.â€? Over the course of the months, illustrious names that also’ were floated about, went from Liam Neeson to Ethan Hawke, Jon Voight to Nick Nolte, have come less. This is to be expected when casting a counter-current film.

But, it is asked by us: does it make sense that the State, with this generous financing, ascribe to the category of the “author cinemaâ€?, The Implacable Ones? From “I go, I kill it and I Returnâ€? of 1967 to “Jonathan of the Bearsâ€? of the ’ 95, Castellari has known to construct one sturdy career, being a craftsman of a sure cinema of action, able to finance itself by the resources of the market. Today, instead, for a western – albeit a politically correct one, from the part of the Indians - the public participation is asked. You would have to reflect, of other part, the fact that between 2003 and the 2004 Americans have tried to revive the genre with “Open Rangeâ€?, “Hidalgoâ€?, “Cold Mountainâ€? and “The Missing.â€? With the likes of Kevin Costner, Viggo Mortensen, Jude Law and Nicole Kidman, cineasti the likes of Ron Howard and Anthony Minghella are engaged in the operation revival to you, with outcomes of the box office most disastrous. Indeed, implacable. © EUROPEAN EDITION SOCIETY SPA - Via G. Negri 4 - 20123 Milan

I’m currently in pre-production on a movie to be shot in Sept. I obviously want to keep it in the same vein as the great spaghetti westerns (which is how I’ve ended up here). As long time fans of the genre, what do you think composes a great western ? I’d love some feedback to keep it true to the originals as possible.
Thanks.
CK

The great music.Music is very important for an Spag-Western…:wink:

I’m a composer first and foremost so I’m hoping I’ve got that covered LOL
CK

So you need cast and crew?! :wink:

Always. Working on that now. You in/near Phoenix ?
CK

No, as you can see in the German Board do I live in Germany.

never again! only the old ones worth to see and nothing else…

Someone will make a decent homage sooner or later. Tarantino looks like the odds on favourite, but frankly I don’t think he’s capable of getting it quite right. Not yet at least. Expecting a true spaghetti might be a bit too much, because the Italian infrastructure simply isn’t there anymore.

We are working on a short (around 12 minutes)
shot last 2 weekends, don’t mean to spoil the fun, but it’s a hutspot western (Dutch)

(On the picture: Harm Siepel / Marc R. Kooij / Danny da Costa)
still from Sjoerd Hobelman’s camerawork.

(foto: Rutger Hollander)

best of luck with your film hungry bear. i would love the SW to make a new appearance, but i very much doubt it.

It looks great and very proffesional Hungry_Bear. Good luck with this one!

Gracias, we are gettin’ more professional every shoot…

Yeah… eventually there will be a ‘new’ one. -Filmed in Southern Europe. With a mix of ‘rising’ European stars/crews and veterans. -Probably with an English-speaking headliner-or-two, like John Malkovich.

And it hopefully won’t include any ‘gimmicks’, unless they’re sparklingly original. No special guns or crossbows or martial-arts… A straightforward plot, void of cliches and computer-generated effects.

Oh, come on, you know you want to see A Fistful of Gollums ;D

;)… was thinking of titles like: The Second-Greatest Train Robbery, Save Your Bullets For El Demonio, or Out Nevada Way, etc., or something. -Maybe a SW-adaptation of Robert E. Howard’s Spanish Gold On Devil Horse.

-Plots involving robberies and violent confrontations, with inventive cinematography and characterizations. That’ll be what the audience remembers.

I think the only remote possibility of partial resurrection of the genre is closely connected to a new Tex Willer film, this time a real western without fantasy elements.

Speaking of Tex, recently I dreamt Quentin Tarantino directing the wonderful story EL MUERTO (number 190-91)!!! :smiley:

yes in another life!! ;D ;D

[quote=“El Topo, post:2554, topic:370”]This is really coming out of nowhere, but did anyone saw a French Western from 2010 called Les colts de l’or noir from director Pierre Romanello (really a most appropriate name).

Until today I never heard of this one before[/quote]

You can watch it on youtube

A man of little faith… :smiley: