Will there ever be a new Spaghetti western?

Ridley Scott’s making a Western… it’s not a spag Western but its something.

Alejandro Jodorowsky is making a sequal to El Topo (Abelcain) wich is supposed to come out in 2005

… which wasn’t a spaghetti western, though

… but came close

It’s the massive lack in both westerns and spag westerns. It’s a rarity if a good one actually comes out. Westerns are the MOST underused genre EVER

I think Tarantino plans to do one.

It was in an interview about that 2nd kung fu film he was going to do.

It was something like “i decided to do it now becase i’ve just done one, i can’t come back to it later because i’ll be making my war movie, my western…”

Ill try and dig out the article and post it here.

Its a first shot from Brad’s “Jesse James” western… will see whats hapend

I think because they were so over used in earlier cinema. But with todays new directors they could make the Western something new again, or turn it into a teen action film, like American Outlaws.

If there ever is another SW, I don’t think it will be made in the Almeria area of Spain. I just got back from there and the wonderful landscapes have been destroyed by modern agriculture, electricity pylons and buildings. That’s progress I suppose. Parts of Morrocco and Tunisia have similar unspoilt landscapes suitable for filming SW’s, but then they wouldn’t be SW’s anymore. Afri-westerns or cous-cous westerns???

Sicily has large undeveloped land, i’d say that they would move filming there.

I watched the “Lucky Luke and the Daltons” trailer today, the french production with german actor Til Schweiger as Lucky Luke, and it is full of references, for example the arch with the bell from OUATITW and more. but its supposedly a stupid film.
but its like a real-life Lucky Luke comic, and at least visually, it fits a lot

let’s not forget that the first rule of a Spaghetti Western is that its Italian

…or has italian companies associated with it, or is shot at least in parts in italy

It would be a good idea, being Morricone is around, it would be the right time to jump on making a new one, also putting Franco Nero, Tomas Milan, Eli Wallach and even Clint Eastwood (If he would Commit) in the movie it would be a guaranteed blockbloster, and more than likely start a Spaghetti Western revival knowing that the movie industry is a copycat business

As all of the above actors are getting a bit long in the tooth now, giving them cameo’s as old timers in a new SW would be a good way of linking the new and old.

I think Spaghetti Western wouldn’t have the special quality. The feeling of this old time wouldn’t be given. It’s hard to complain, but I think a director in present could not shoot it in such a dirty old lookin way…

I agree. SW’s were very much a product of their time. If one was made today, I think we would all find it a bit too polished and slick.

Exactly !! most of the SW’s were poor man’s westerns, if one were to be made today …mmmmmm…i have my doubts ::slight_smile:

The spaghetti westerns were indeed a product of their time. Do not forget in that period the times were changing. In Europe people started to get television. Hollywood produced less westerns and the Italians were jumping in that “hole”, left by Hollywood. Still there were people that went to the theatre to see a movie and relax.

Also the Spaghetti westerns showed more violence than the avarage Hollywood western. It was a change of times and I think especially the revolutionary westerns (ie “bullet for the general”, Il Mercenario") were made because of the difference between poor and rich was partly still there. The difference nowadays in Western Europe is not that great anymore.

And it wouldn’t be profitable for companies and producers and so on. Nobody would go to cinema, except of the fans.