Why Go on Killing? / ¿Por qué seguir matando? / Perché uccidi ancora (José Antonio de la Loma, Edoardo Mulargia, 1965)

[quote=“Bad Lieutenant, post:20, topic:696”]Yes, 6/10
Nothing fancy, just a routine and ok time passer. The Italian title sucks. I much prefer the German one, though the Italian one fits the film better.[/quote]

Haven’t seen it, so can’t say anything about the content, but why does the Italian title suck?
It’s not the best there is, that’s for sure, but I like it better than ‘Jetzt sprechen die Pistolen’; some German titles are great, some aren’t, this falls (for me) in the last category.

It’s just lame to me. I mean, I get this message by watching it. Besides that, in my opinion, it’s even less imaginative than the German title.

It’s a typical German expressionless title which could be used for every other film with guns in it.

I never liked these type of German titles.

Just give this one a review. Better aspect ratio but 4 mins shorter running time. Alot of horse chases in this all set to catchy music. Steffen is on the revenge path again sporting a small hat. Like the guy in the wheelchair the best though as he is a real bitter character. Still do not mind this one and good if you are looking for a simple story one.

Routine SW without much surprise.
The first film by Edoardo Mulargia and Anthony Steffen.
Given the early year of production, it is still a mix of SW and American influences. Even if the SW elements predominate.
It is a typical revenge story. The son avenges the death of his father. The father then wants to avenge the death of his son. The brother wants to avenge the death of his brother. During this time, there are a lot of dead bodies. Nevertheless, the story is the problem. There are few twists. In addition, ridden very much. This has a negative touch with me always. It works as the running time should be extended. At the Story Vincenzo Musolino was involved. And it shows.

I’m a fan of the films of Edoardo Mulargia. Ok, with the exception of El Puro, none of his films is a masterpiece. But it is solid entertainment and Mulargia has a good feel for the genre. Vincenzo Musolino has not this sense. Therefore, the story never comes up to full speed. Maybe the career of Mulargia would have been different if he had previously worked without Mr. Musolino.

Uccidi Perchè ancora? is a film that one can look at. It will be entertained. But there are better films from this director.

I agree with Stanton: 5 / 10
But i agree not with the opinion of the music. The music I find rather weak.

Nothing could be more true. But after all before the release of Per qualche dollaro in più/For a Few Dollars More in December 1965 there was only a model to follow.

Undoubtedly: it’s no coincidence that in Non aspettare Django, spara/Don’t Wait, Django… Shoot! and Chiedi perdono a Dio… non a me/May God Forgive You… But I Won’t we find very similar ingredients.

But not necessarily for the better… Who knows?

I watched this today for third time.Not bad at all the problem there is that we haven’t memorable acting from no one except Anthony Steffen in his good standards and Jose Calvo in a static situation (I prefer him in A Fistfull of Dollars of course).

Sepia colours gives a lucklaster tone to the atmosphere a bonus for a revenge movie.The gunfights are very good with the right lenght of time but I have been waiting for a far better end.Remember ‘‘For a Few Dollars More’’ for example.Just an Ok film.

This might be considered a important film as a first of it’s kind but I was more entertained while reading Phil’s review (and his ranting about hats :smiley: ) than actally watching this film. The first scene is really powerful and we got Steffen’s roll and shoot act during the first minutes but it slowly turns to uninspired and dragging. Steffen does his usual role and Calvo is good as a bitter cripple and there’s few nice supporting roles too but the comedy act of Franco Pesce and Franco Latini was just irritating. Music seems to divide people, I didn’t like it much.

2/5

Finally watched it, gave it three stars

[/URL]

[size=12pt][url=http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Why_Go_on_Killing%3F_Review_(Scherpschutter)]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Why_Go_on_Killing%3F_Review_(Scherpschutter)[url]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/96/t716.jpg/[/url][/size]

The movie was (nearly?) entirely shot on Spanish soil and therefore credited to José Antonio de La Loma (....) but according to some people involved in the production, Mulargia was at the helm of it. Unlike most early Spanish-Italian co-productions, the movie is typically Italian in style and content (.....), so it's my guess that the man in the directional chair was Italian. Most sources now mention both names, but it has been suggested that De Loma's name was only used for commercial reasons.

This short article dated January 1965 seems to confirm that the real director was Mulargia and not José Antonio de La Loma:

[/url]
[url]http://postimage.org/

It's also the first collaboration of the duo Edoardo Mulargia and Vincenzo Musolino, as well as the first spaghetti western appearance by actor Aldo Berti

Actually Berti’s first SW appearance was in Stranger in Sacramento by Sergio Bergonzelli, released in June 1965.

Just re viewed this one via the Japanese dvd. Even though the film is showing its age print wise in some sections this is the best I have seen the film look. The english audio I found has been filtered a little to much in parts. This has removed the hiss for sure, but sometimes the sound is a little tinny sounding. Back to the film, its a simple but effective affair with the star sporting a small hat so the star means business. The music is basic, but its riding theme will stick in my head for a few days like it always does re this film.

It seems that a German DVD is not so far away. But not officially announced yet.

And these riding scenes are somehow great.

I agree, fair evaluation. The outcome of Rojo’s attempt during the final confrontation is a nice touch.

Oh, I don’t mind them, the thick-headed, drowsy assistant is a rather bizarre character but there’s also a great - and serious - line for Sam (Franco Pesce):

[size=12pt]“Un giorno o l’altro ti porterò io in trionfo… Sul mio carro!”[/size]

[/url]
[url]http://postimage.org/

Yep. It feels like a Edoardo Mulargia. Here’s the Italian locandina:

New OFDb entry dated today Sept.30, has the new Wild Coyote release listed with an English audio option. No subs.
Ditto Alive and Amazon. Hopefully that is the case.

1 Like

Watched the Wild Coyote DVD tonight. The picture is slightly cut lengthwise, somewhat grainy, and the colors not so good, but at least it has colors. It runs for 85 minutes, so it is still not uncut? Three audio options, English included, no subs. Pilar’s death scene is protracted compared with the versions I have seen before. Strong stuff. Also the opening credits are different. The best version I’ve seen so far. I like this one a lot, one of those which grow on you.

There were two different versions released theatrically in Italy.

The first one was rated VM14 in early December 1965, with the opening scene shortened and all slaps removed in the scene in which Ida Galli is beaten with the exception of three.

A second, re-edited version was submitted to censorship exactly five years later and rated T (all ages admitted).

In both cases the runtime was 88m30s, consequently 85 minutes is correct only if the frame rate is 25 FPS.

The Wild Coyote DVD is the 1975 version then. So the more brutal one had no age restriction. Did the 1965 version have the prolonged death struggle of Pilar? She is shot, Berti is leaving with Ida Galli, she is alone, lying on the floor, trying to drag herself towrads the door, close-ups of her face while Steven is riding towards Ranch L.

Bruckner’s runtime, taken from the Anica data, is given with 99 min, probably a typo.

I have stunningly 4 versions, all with different runtimes. The one taken from a German VHS is obviously cut, the other 3 run between 87 and 89 min.

I have two shorter versions, one with English audio and one with Spanish. Both run for 77 min. The scene where Ida Galli is beaten is cut in both, one slap only, then Pilar intervenes. Seems I have only seen a soft core version of this film before.