What do you think about Gianni Garko and George Hilton and their movies?

I don’t quite understand this statement, as Garko sadly never worked with Corbucci. I’m assuming that you were trying to say that Garko was better suited for Corbucci’s directorial style than Leone’s.

Anyway, I love both Garko and Hilton, but I like Garko a little bit better. And no, I do not think that “Trade your pistols for a coffin” was a true Sartana movie.

Right.
I can’t imagine Garko taking the part of, for instance, Eastwood, Van Cleef of Bronson in respectively FISTFUL, FFDM or ONCE … He’s just not the kind of actor for Leone’s deliberate style. On the other hand he could easily take over Franco Nero’s part in Corbucci’s Zapata movies. In fact he took over the Django part in 10.000 dollari per un massacro, in which he (even in the original version) is presented as Django, even though the film marks a shift in the character (from a near horror-type of avenger to an almost cheerful bounty hunter who sleeps with a victim on the beach and talks to him when he wakes up!).

I agree that I can’t see anyone in those iconic roles other than the actors who have already branded them. That said, I think it would have been an interesting dynamic nonetheless.

Of course, GF.
Nobody, me included, can prove that Garko would’ve been inappropriate in one of these parts, untill he was given the chance to prove me, or anybody else, wrong - and he simply was not given that chance.

So GF, what is your favourite Garko movie, and what is your favourite Garko moment?

Favorite Garko Movie? Wow, only one? It would be a tie between ‘If you Meet Sartana…’ and ‘$10,000 for a Massacre,’ with my mood determining which I prefer. Sartana is so iconic and trend-setting (and unapologetically cloned in the Sabata series) - I can’t imagine anyone but Garko in the role. This was further proven when Hilton tried his hand at it.

However, I think his performance in ‘$10,000…’ is much more full-bodied and nuanced. There’s an easy, yet unexpected cruelty to Garko that I find unique.

Favorite Garko moment? Another tough one to call if only allowed to choose one. However, even though it’s one of his lesser roles, the initial appearance of Garko on horseback as Koran in ‘Charge’ is a classic. The combination of the bouncy music, that insane parasol/umbrella in one hand and that enormous rifle over his back reminds me of something out of a samurai film (namely the Baby cart series) and really grabs me.

What about you?

Couldn’t leave a visual or two out of this. :wink:

Garko in ‘Charge’…

The second one is also a great scene with Koran (Garko) walking through the canyons holding his umbrella (aka machine gun) for shade, wearing his Muslim head covering and reading the Q’uran.

[attachment older than 600 days, deleted by admin]

The best film, to me, is 'Se incontri Sartana … prega per la tua morte!'
I’ve seen the film in cinema, very late at night, in the early 70’s (imagine how old I am!).

For the second place we have a tie between ‘Diecimila Dollari per un massacro’ and ‘Per 100.000 dollari t’ammazzo’, both films are wonderful spaghetti westerns and offer excellent performances by Garko and Gian Maria’s brother, Claudio Camaso (Jill/Brünhilde will tell you that he has beautiful eyes too).

My favourite scene is that incredible opening scene from ‘Diecimila Dollari per un Massacro’: Garko is sleeping at the seashore; when he wakes up, he starts talking to the man lying beside him, saying that this man - understandably - doesn’t care much about the sea, only about heaven; the camera pans to the right a little … and we realize that the man beside him is a dead man …
(That’s what’s been said in the Italian version, I’ve never heard the English dialogue)
This is a wonderful, near-surrealistic scene, setting the tone for the entire film: we understand immediately that it will be tongue-in-cheeck and gritty at the same time … pure SW magic to me.

Yes, a wonderful scene.

Garko’s best film followed by If You Meet Sartana …

Hilton’s best are A Bullet for Sandoval (but not his best role) and My Name Is Hallelujah.

I haven’t seen Sandoval yet.
I’ve seen the trailer on You Tube; looked very nice, so I just ordered it at CINE CITY (it was very cheap), along with the longer version of A Minute to pray, a second to die (DVDr, couldn’t find it anywhere else).

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:50, topic:233”]I haven’t seen Sandoval yet.
I’ve seen the trailer on You Tube; looked very nice, so I just ordered it…[/quote]

I realize we’re drifting off-topic here, but ‘Sandoval’ is quite good. Nice production values, starkly brutal, and infused with a brooding sense of doom and tragedy that starts immediately and becomes more palpable as things progress. I also like how grey the lines between good and evil become as things progress.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:50, topic:233”]I haven’t seen Sandoval yet.
I’ve seen the trailer on You Tube; looked very nice, so I just ordered it at CINE CITY (it was very cheap), along with the longer version of A Minute to pray, a second to die (DVDr, couldn’t find it anywhere else).[/quote]

How long are both?

I thought A Bullet for Sandoval was a boring film.

Thumbs up from me. Hilton’s great in this (and wearing a fabulous shirt).

LOL! Isn’t that quite the fashion statement! Almost qualifies as a nice blouse!

Don’t know, but the longer version is a little longer.

Just ordered it, but thanks anyway, Ennioo.

No problem scherpschutter.

Obviously you are deliberately underplaying the importance of the shirt/blouse in the sw genre!
In a ‘shirt-out’ between GH and GG (notwithstanding GG’s sartorial elegance as Sartana, where the shirts are only a part player to the ‘gestalt’/complete look), GH wins hands down every time.
Note the divine repeat pattern, the roomy drape and elegant hang of Hilton’s snazzy number from ‘A Bullet for Sandoval’ - and love those designer bullet holes and knife wounds for macho effect.
And, what does dear Gianni think he’s doing in that moth-eaten old rag? Somebody should tell him!
Not a subject to be flippant about Brother Garko Forever. Remember - The Good Lord cuts the final cloth …

[attachment older than 600 days, deleted by admin]

I sit corrected, Reverend!

Although,when talking about GH’s ‘Sandoval’ duds, mention should also be made of the strategically unbuttoned shirt and color-coordinated bandana as well.

Tell me when you got them. Maybe we can make a trade.

My Sandoval DVD is 90 min, but I can get a copy from a greek version with 98 min (102 if it’s Pal in Greece).

I also asked for A Minute to Pray … . Mine are 94 min (german) and 98 min (US), both contain different scenes.