What do you think about Gianni Garko and George Hilton and their movies?

(Bluntwolf) #1

I would like to know your opinion about Gianni Garko and George Hilton ! How do you like those guys ? Do you enjoy their movies ? What do you think are their best/worst works ?

Anything you want to add is welcome !!!

[attachment older than 600 days, deleted by admin]

(Lode) #2

I didn’t like this Halleluja stuff by George Hilton. ok, it were some of that funny spag period that I don’t like very much…

(Bluntwolf) #3

Yeah, that ‘supposed to be funny stuff’ is not my world either ! Although I think the first ‘Halleluja’ is quite alright. Most movies following that one were really crappy though !

What do you think about the more serious westerns by those two ? For example ‘Moment to kill’ (Il momento di uccidere) by Hilton or ‘Sartana - pray for your death’ (Se incontri Sartana…prega per la tua morte) by Garko (also featuring Klaus Kinski, but only for a few moments again and William Berger) ? What about ‘10.000 dollari per un massacro’ featuring Garko (Gary Hudson) and Claudio Camaso (aka Claudio Volonte’) ?

(Bill san Antonio) #4

Two giants of the genre. Garko is best known for his Sartana movies but my favorite Garko films are the more serious Vengeance is Mine and 10000 dollars Blood Money, both with Claudio Camaso. Garko is one of my favorite actors of the genre. He’s always so cool and all of his movies are at least above the average (though I didn’t like Blood at sundown that much.)

I liked They call me Halluleja very much. Hilton is very good in comedic roles although some of his later comedy spaghettis were awful (Crazy bunch!). But he was brilliant in serious films too: Bullet for Sandoval, Ruthless Four, Massacre Time, Last of the Badmen… so many great films. Out side of spaghetti westerns he made also brilliant giallos with Sergio Martino and others.

(JONAH HEX) #5

GARKO IS EXCELLENTE,hilton is a bit of a pretty boy and iv’e never really been impressed with his movies,but he is o.k…hope im not ran out on a rail but why does everyone like …sandoval soo much? ???

(Bluntwolf) #6

What is ‘Sandoval’ supposed to mean ???

(TwiceaJudas) #7

Sandoval is the name of Ernst Borgnine’s character in the movie A Bullet for Sandoval or

Also known as:
A Bullet for Sandoval (USA)
Desperate Men (UK)
Quei disperati che puzzano di sudore e di morte (Italy)
Those Desperate Men Who Smell of Dirt and Death (USA)
Vengeance Is Mine

(TwiceaJudas) #8

I liked Hilton in A Bullet for Sandoval just awesome acting on his part! As for Garko too many cool roles. I liked him in Price of Death, I am Sartana your Angel of Death, etc…

(JONAH HEX) #9

[quote=“Bluntwolf, post:6, topic:233”]What is ‘Sandoval’ supposed to mean ???[/quote] I MEANT I THINK “A BULLET FOR SANDOVAL” IS OVERATED.

(Bill san Antonio) #10

I think Bullet for Sandoval is excellent film. Great story, good cast and the music is awesome. One of the best films with Hilton.

(Cian) #11

Although I like Sandoval, I prefer Hilton in his more lighthearted roles.

(volonte) #12

Garko is one of my favourite Spaghetti actors. But Hilton I like more in his Giallos. I think he works better in those films. His appearance fits better in that world of rich and beautiful than in spahetti westerns.

(TwiceaJudas) #13

What movie do you guys feel is Garko and Hilton’s worst???

(JONAH HEX) #14

The worst hilton ive seen is TAMAZO aka dead for a dollar,ive not seen a bad garko thus far.

(Bluntwolf) #15

The “worst” Garko is probably ‘Venditore di morte’ but only 'cause the movie is really cheap made. The actors are a thousand times better and so is the story. The filming material sucks ! Garko and Kinski are great while the story is more like a detective one rather than western story ! It’s entertaining anyway ! So there is no bad SW by Gianni Garko ! His worst movies are those soft-sex flics he did after his SW career !!!

Hilton’s worst SW are the ones of the early '70s !!! There are some Hilton SW I really like a lot : Il momento di uccidere (my favourite Hilton also featuring Walter Barnes, Loni von Friedl and Horst Frank), Tempo di massacro (with Franco Nero) and maybe 'Ognuno per se" where he plays a gay character (with Klaus Kinski) !!! There are still more I like but not the comedies !!!

(flynnparadox) #16

Garko is awesome. He’s become one of my favorite spag stars in the past few months. Hilton is good but not great (he’s good in Bullet for Sandoval and Any Gun Can Play but I didn’t like him as Sartana in “Trade Your Gun for a Coffin” or whatever that one’s called.)
I really have to see this “Ruthless Four” movie. I had never heard of it until I started frequenting this forum and it’s starting to sound pretty interesting…

Flynn

(ENNIOO) #17

[quote=“flynnparadox, post:16, topic:233”]Garko is awesome. He’s become one of my favorite spag stars in the past few months. Hilton is good but not great (he’s good in Bullet for Sandoval and Any Gun Can Play but I didn’t like him as Sartana in “Trade Your Gun for a Coffin” or whatever that one’s called.)
I really have to see this “Ruthless Four” movie. I had never heard of it until I started frequenting this forum and it’s starting to sound pretty interesting…

Flynn[/quote]

Yes, I need to get round to getting the “Ruthless Four” as sounds pretty decent.

(flynnparadox) #18

Yeah, it just sounds pretty wild…

Flynn

(Bill san Antonio) #19

I don’t know if it’s the lack of dvd release or what but I wonder why Ruthless Four is so rarely mentioned and praised. It’s a damn good film. And what a cast: George Hilton, Kinski, Gilbert Roland and Van Heflin.

(flynnparadox) #20

Well, you’d think that even without a proper DVD release it would be more widely known. I mean, I had heard of Companeros, Django, The Great Silence, the Sartana films, etc long before they got DVD releases. But Ruthless Four, like I mentioned earlier, I had never heard of before I started visiting this forum…