Vote For Your Bottom 20 US/AU/GB/CA Westerns

I enjoyed a lot of the films people have listed as terrible. It’s all about personal taste.

Yep, thats one of my favorites. :grin: I kinda always liked hippie vibe in westerns.

One, two, three
For goodness sake
I got the hippy hippy shakes
Yeah, I’ve got to shakes
I got the hippy hippy shakes
Oh, I can’t sit still
With the hippy hippy shakes

I had to google it. I know jackshit about music.

I thought about it when you were talking about the hippie vibes in westerns.

Personally i don’t like those hippie movies from the sixties and early seventies (not even El Topo), but if my memory doesn’t betray me, I thought The Hired Hand was one of the more endurable of the lot, but i can’t say I really enjoyed it.

You once said on fb that Easy Rider is great movie, so now I’m bit perplexed…

Well, it’s just slightly more hippie than let’s say Josey Wales (they are both quite similar looking characters), but you are not very fond of that one either. Anyway, personally I don’t really care about hippies, but I appreciate some of the movies/music related to the subculture (Big Lebowski and such).

Easy Rider yes, but I was referring to westerns (Ride the Whirlwind, The Shooting, El Topo, The Hired hand, a couple of others). Easy Rider is one of the most representative movies from the late Sixties, it’s the hippie movement, or better the counterculture in a nutshell

Come on, really? I created topic here for acid westerns some time ago :grin:

I did not endure till the end of the movie so it is hardly endurabale. :smile: It is just another early 70s boring experimental movie where hardly anyone talks.

Those were the movies I was talking about :wink: and the ones I don’t really care for.

1 Like

Okay, but I still don’t get it how you can say Easy rider is great (which is by far trippier/hippier than any of those westerns) but don’t care about the rest. But on the other hand, I don’t care that much about Easy rider but do care about some of those westerns… Anyway, just saying.

I think that’s the point! … it’s showing that life in the ‘wild west’ wasn’t all gunfights and snappy dialogue … it’s mundane and full of hardships.

I liked it as a movie … haven’t seen it for a while, so maybe time to re-watch and see if I feel differently about it.

1 Like

Then I’d rather watch something like Red River which is all about hard work and it is amazing and fun movie or from 70s Ulzana’s Raid which shows this as well and it is also much better movie and never boring. From these acid westerns I like Ride in the Whirlwind the most and it is probably the best of them, there is not much dialogue and and it works. The Shooting had few amazing scenes but it gets also rather boring.

No one’s telling you what to watch or how to feel about particular films - it is all about personal taste, as another member mentioned. You’ve expressed your opinion and a few of us have replied - THE END

Well, to me the hippie movement and all things related to it, definitely belongs to the '60s, and I find it hard to relate it to the genre of the western movie. I know, movies are as much about the time in which they are made, as the time in which they are set, but the result in this case are odd western movies that often don’t feel like western movies at all.

1 Like

???

Sixties of course, typo, old age, or whatever

Wait, isn’t it the whole point of this thread what not to watch or maybe what to watch just to make your own opinion if the movies are that bad? Actually this entire site suggests what to watch and what not to watch for more casual viewers. That is why there is a top 20 list. Naturally I also recommend you to watch the movies I’d mentioned above. :stuck_out_tongue:

I never tell anybody what to watch (or not to watch), but when I like a movie I hope people read my words as some sort of recommendation. Seems only logical. When I dislike a movie, well, then people might read my words as a sort of warning, but not necessarily so: we can’t all like the same movies and what looks stupid or boring to me, might be intruiging to others, and I’m well aware of that. Personally I always try to explain why I do not like a movie, if only to make up my mind about things. Often things are clear, but it happens that I’m watching a movie and discover that I don’t like it but don’t really know why. Rather than saying ‘that it’s all a matter of taste’ and that you can’t argue about taste, I like to reflect on my experiences and preferences (why do I hate this? why do I prefer that?). But that is of course also a personal thing.