Vote for Our Official Top 20

Thanks.

I think for watching Day of Anger, Grand Duel and Tepepa I have to order the US release. Holy shit, the next year seems to be nearly out of anythin to eat or to drink. Only watchin spag DVDs after buying.

Alright guys, going by Jonah Hex’s ground plans and an amalgamation of several formulas, here’s the TOP FIVE so far (with points):

[b]5. A Fistful of Dollars (164)
4. The Great Silence (187)
3. For a Few Dollars More (241)
2. Once Upon a Time in the West (242)

1. The Good, the Bad & the Ugly (276)[/b]

No big surprises, but a freakishly close duel between #3 and #2.

First of all, I realize I am but a lowly gunrunner (with a whopping 3 or 4 total posts) and thus have no authority or tenure whatsoever. I just had a couple of hours to kill and thought I might try to help out. THESE RATINGS ARE IN NO WAY OFFICIAL. NOR DO THEY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF SPAGHETTI-WESTERN.NET OR THE ADMINISTRATORS. Here’s the formula I used (and I took some bold liberties here, so again I feel I must re-iterate, I am aware that my results may have no validity):

I cut everyone’s list to 12 (as per Jonah’s instructions) and awarded each rank a corresponding point (#1 got 12 points, #12 got 1, etc. If some one only had 10 on their list then I used a 10 point system). A lot of folks just threw out suggestions (sans the list) and to them I awarded each film 1 point.

I realize there is plenty of room for error, but I was comfortable enough with what I had to post it.

As this process is somewhat exhausting, I think I’ll leave it at 5, unless directed by someone in authority to do otherwise.

Oh, and I should point out, I’m not nearly as anal as I sound.

Great work samuryan ,i’m glad i didnt have to figure it out ;D…by the way just curious what samuryan means?

Samuryan, that is a nice system. maybe we can - in the end- work it out for a top 20

Yeah, cool. Nice work. But i think the top five is almost clear. Interesting would be ehat all people think about 6 to 15 or 20. :wink:

OK, here’s the Top 20 using the previously posted formula:

[b]20. Keoma (21 points)
19. Django, Kill… If You Live, Shoot! (26 points)
18. Day of Anger (28 points)
17. Run, Man, Run (29 points)
16. A Fistful of Dynamite/Duck, You Sucker! (30 points)
15. Sabata (31 points)
14. Mannaja (32 points)
13. My Name is Nobody (43 points)
12. A Bullet for the General (48 points)
11. Companeros (53 points)
10. The Mercenary (56 points)
09. Face to Face (57 points)
08. Death Rides a Horse (81 points)
07. Django (114 points)
06. The Big Gundown (115 points)
05. A Fistful of Dollars (164 points)
04. The Great Silence (187 points)
03. For a Few Dollars More (241 points)
02. Once Upon a Time in the West (242 points)

1. The Good, the Bad & the Ugly (276 points)[/b]

Collectively, you guys put together one hell of a list. One might even be inclined to call it “authoritative.”

Hey, great work. There are a lot of choices where 2 movies are only 1 or 2 points away from each other. I’ve never thought, that GBU would be better than OUATITW.

Yeah, I was surprised at how close some of them were (and had to re-count them a few times to make sure). It was also nice to see that in the top 10 there are four (!) choices that aren’t even released on DVD in North America (alright, technically there’s a couple of bargain bin, full-frame prints of Death Rides a Horse out there, but can we really count those?).

While I think we all may disagree on some of the placement (What’s Django Kill doing at #19?!), I personally think the list, unofficial as it may be, is not only a great representation of the genre, but also of the participant’s impressive knowledge and impeccable taste.

By the way Jonah Hex, ‘Samuryan’ is the marriage of a Japanese warrior to an Irish name :wink:

wow you rock, seriously. I think your system will be official. But I think let’s wait for a few more people to post their list, what do you guys say?
How many lists to we have? I think we should have a straight number of people who posted full lists. that’s my suggestion only,
what do you guys say? wait for more? publish it as it is? I could just put it into the wiki (or samuryan can do it if he wants, I’ll make him deputy!) and then when people post their lists, the offficial list will be fixed up counting in new lists

wow, weird idea: maybe we can get some programmer/maths dude to write a program for that with a formula that calculates this :wink:

Yeah, would be great. But what is the probability that a maths freak is a spag freak as well? :smiley:

After an exhaustive internet search, it appears that, sadly, all of the prominent Italian mathematicians passed away around the 17th Century. :frowning:

i think we can settle with a not-so-prominent american or european mathematician or B grade college dude

I have only seen six movies from the above the list…Im currently downloading “Face to Face” and “Django the Bastard”.

I was wondering if “Face to face” original language is italian or english?

It is surely Italian and Spanish.

In January I described exactly the same system for this vote as Samyran in this very same thread. Funny how it’s now so cool and back then it was lame because it required calculating. :slight_smile:

Not trying to pick a fight but I just felt I had to say that.

But anyways. I am some sort of a programmer and I could easily make a system which would calculate the points automatically.

It would be very easy to implement if we put a specific ID for each title. And then during the voting people would look at the movie list, and place those corresponding ID-numbers in order.

ID-numbers would cut off the mistyping problems and the fact that same title has many different names. It would be essential for automating the process.

Oh. I think most of us thought it was lame because no one wanted to be the “victim” to count all the points :wink: But nobody knew that you have such abilities :slight_smile:

Hey Veda,

Sorry if I stepped on any toes.

Just trying to help out.

go for it veda ;D

OK here we go, I didn’t think it would be this hard to put together a top SW list

1. Once Upon A Time In The West
  2. The Good The Bad and The Ugly
  3. For A Few Dollars More
  4. Keoma
  5. A Bullet for the General
  6. A Fistful of Dollars
  7. Companeros
  8. A Fistful of Dynamite
  9. Return of Ringo
  10. The Big Gundown
  11. The Great Silence
  12. Death Rides a Horse
  13. Day of Anger
  14. Vengeance
  15. Django
  16. The Greatest Robbery in the West
  17. My Name is Nobody
  18. Sartana (…if you meet Sartana)
  19. The Mercenary
  20. Face To Face

Lots more that I like but that will give you all an idea of my tastes! By the way e-mail me if anybody would like my complete list of DVD/R / DiVX SW films!

Happy viewing