Vote for Our Official Top 20

A man after my own heart

“once upon a time in the west”

how did it move out of 1st place in the first place, surely this must be most people’s favourite spaghetti (it’s my favourite film of any genre) closely followed by “The good the bad and the ugly”

1.The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
2.Once Upon a Time in the West
3.A Fistful of Dynamite
4.For a Few Dollars More
5.A Fistful of Dollars
6.Four of the Apocalypse
7.Mannaja
8.The Fighting Fists of Shanghai Joe
9.Django
10.The Great Silence
11.The Mercenary
12.My Name is Nobody
13.Companeros
14.Hellbenders
15.Run Man Run
16.Bandidos
17.The Big Gundown
18.Massacre Time
19.Death Rides a Horse
20.Keoma

thanks for your list, I hope more people post their lists so we can update the official page soon

Ok, just for fun I’ve made a slightly different list by giving points to all 20 Films and not only the first 12. In one case of the before mentioned Sartana problem, it must be the Parolini Sartana because in the same List there is also at #20 Blood at Sundown, another english title for Mille dollari sul nero.

There are 2 films I’m not sure about:
1.God Forgives … His Life Is Mine
This must be Dio li crea … io li ammazzo! (German: Bleigericht) Right?
2.Rough Justice
Can’t find it anywhere. Anyone who knows the director or the original title?

Many members have by now only named 10 or 12 Films. It would be great if anyone could alter it up to 20. And the guys who gave their lists no order, please, try it, even if it’s difficult.

There are also some non Spaghettis which should be replaced:
El Topo
Viva Maria
The Quick and the Dead
and in my opinion also Red Sun, which is a european western, no Spaghetti.

Viva Maria and Red Sun are considered spaghettis on this board, but didn’t get enough points.

All eurowesterns that are italian or partly italian are considered spaghettis here, that’s the criteria.

Rough Justice: Belva, La - The Spaghetti Western Database

God Forgives: His life is mine: http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Dio_li_crea…_Io_li_ammazzo%21

Red Sun: It is partly shot in Italy and the production company “Ocenia Film” is Italian, what make the a Spaghetti Western. And the plot takes place in Arizona. So everything ok :wink:

Oh, that’s OK for me.

I only think that Red Sun is not a real spaghetti, it hasn’t the style and there is not much spaghetti personal in it. Like Chato’s Land for example, which is another western with spanish locations.
There are also some german Karl May movies with italian co-production credits, but they are not considered as Italo Westerns?

Yes they are, at least we (the team working on the wiki) consider them as spags. Cause they are in the wiki :wink: And Ulrich Bruckner considers them as spags as well. They are in his spag book. At least some, not all which are mentioned in the wiki.

The big question is (and I think we oftern talked about it): Are western spaghetti ones, if they only partly shot in Italio and italian co-produced? No. They have to take place in Amerika. This is the reason why most Zorro flicks aren’t considered westerns.

This topic deals more with the topic: http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,281.0.html

This could be a little confusing to some guests on this forum, and I have objected to this as well, that the term spaghettis is given to all european westerns that are partly italian-produced.

The Winnetou-films for instance are not spaghettis, yet they are in the wiki because they are italian co-productions ::slight_smile:

My point is that the wiki should include all eurowesterns, the line should be drawn there.

Bruckners book features eurowesterns as well as spaghettis, but he doesn’t call all of them spaghettis.

Hehe, but it could be too much work perhaps, should the wiki feature all those obscure turkish westerns too? Or maybe not, they are perhaps eastern westerns :wink:

btw, we gave points not only to the first 12 but all 20 ones, consult the earlier posts here on how we calculate the list, i didnt view through that system coz i suck at math but it makes a lot of sense i think

No. We only should mention the italian (co-)produced flicks. That’s why it is called “Spaghetti Western Database” :wink:

Maybe I’m dumb, but I don’t get it. I’ve read the earlier posts and I have looked how the list has changed after the last 3 additions, and, yes I think only the first 12 get points!
Btw there seems to be an error: I have Blindman at #10 but Blindman’s points haven’t changed.
Maybe Samyryan should explain it again to get this straight.

I’ ve chosen a slightly different system and given 1 Pt for #20 up to 17 PTs for #4, but then I’ve given a special treatment to the top 3: 19 for #3, 21 for #2 and 25 for #uno.

The debate goes on… :stuck_out_tongue:

I think every movie which could be considered as a spaghetti western should be in the database.
For example I never thougt about Viva Maria as a western neither as a spaghetti western, despite there are a few western elements in it. But if some other guys think so, it’s ok. And everyone is happy.

Another example : “Guns of San Sebastian” is not really a SW but it was partly shooted in Italy and it’s an italian production…

So what about things like “The hunting party” :slight_smile:

I’m still curious about A TOWN CALLED BASTARD. I think we should include that one in the database.

Regarding votes, I have put together a tentative top 20 list but I really would like to see the full length GIU LA TESTA before I post my list. It goes in the top 20, but the extra footage could bump it up quite a bit.

For example the extra footage for GOOD, BAD, UGLY really improved what for me was already the best western ever made because it filled in some minor plot continuity gaps. By the way I’m hoping we have an involved discussion of GBU next month.

Sounds like “Once upon a time in the West” :wink: ;D

Yes, the studios were hell on Leone cutting his films up in Italy to make them shorter, and then cutting them again for the US/Canada versions.

I don’t understand this fetish for making films 90 minutes or less. I guess to get more showings per day? If it’s the same ticket price to see a 3 hour masterpiece as it is to see a typical 90 minute film I’d rather see the masterpiece.

I don’t Leone was fully appreciated until many years after ONCE UP A TIME was made.