Top 20 Spaghetti Western Songs

And still do. My tastes are nothing if not eclectic. :sunglasses:

Mine too, but I prefer clearly a more atonal music, and I don’t like cheesy stuff.

Re-watched -Find a Place to Die -this morning, it had been awhile. There’s nothing cheesy about this song, for sure.

1 Like

Yes, but I was talking about the cheesy ones, and not about every song in Spags. And this is one in the film, I meant the cheesy ones which are mostly with the credits. And of those also not every one, but many. Stuff sung by Raul or Maurizio Graf.

I’m a Dutchman, so I like all things cheese …

I like those cheesy spaghetti western theme songs. I like Do Not Forsake Me as well, btw

That High Noon song is great, some others in 50s westerns are also good.

But the one in Django is already a problem, does not fit with the film. I wish there would be only an instrumental version.

Spaghetti songs I like them, part of the Spaghetti atmosphere for this viewer.

2 Likes

If you’re talking about Lyrics, then yes, they suck something fierce.

But in all honesty I never listened to music for the lyrics, the voice becomes another instrument to me, and for Spag’s they usually have some pretty good vocalists.

1 Like

No, I mean the songs, I mean the melodies and the singing.

I don’t care much for the lyrics in music either, and are also more interested in how they are sung, the voice as an instrument.

But then the lyrics are often terrible either when it happens that I notice them. “Django, after the shower the sun” … boy, that hurts …
But I have to admit, I have on the other hand no real problems with the songs in Keoma and Mannaja. :wink:

Not exactly great lyrics. But, as someone said, the song primes the plot of the film. No sun shining after the showers, though.

But Django took never a shower in his whole life. That’s the basic idea of the film, and the song ruins that.

I can see where you’re coming from, I mean the movies were made relatively quickly and the artists probably had to scrounge to complete those scores. I personally love the genre music though, even with all of it’s faults.

Right, in those days only the very rich people had showers. I think he was referring more to the following lyrics:

Django, have you always been alone
Django, have you never loved again
Love will live on
Life must go on
for you cannot spend your life regretting
Django, you must face another day
Django, now your love has gone away
once you loved her
now you’ve lost her
but you’ve lost her forever, Django

They kind of primes the plot of the film.

Just like the sound of the Django theme song and when I hear it I of course think of the film. Think Django was one of the first Spaghetti westerns outside the Leone films I viewed on VHS.

What the hell are you two talking about? These are rain showers.

Let me just set this straight. Not all the lyrics for the title songs for spaghetti westerns are perfect, sure. There are some very doubtful ones in Mannaja for instance that Stanton apparently like. But beginning to talk about a flaw in general in the genre in connection with these title songs I have no understanding for. If you only really appreciate the very best ‘serious’ spaghetti westerns that do not have a title song that you find ‘disappointing’, well you are probably better off watching the 20 or so movies in the genre that fits those criteria and move on to another genre :slight_smile:

2 Likes

[quote=“AvatarDK, post:56, topic:2508, full:true”]

What the hell are you two talking about? These are rain showers. [/quote]

Of course, don’t you think that was a joke from me?

Still, the lyrics of Django are terrible, very, very terrible. I would like to have the music only as instrumental version. It’s a big flaw for such a grim film to start with such dull song. And cheesy, yes.

[quote]
Let me just set this straight. Not all the lyrics for the title songs for spaghetti westerns are perfect, sure. There are some very doubtful ones in Mannaja for instance that Stanton apparently like. [/quote]

Actually I don’t remember the lyrics for this one, but I Iike the singing.

That’s a pretty strange conclusion. One flaw rarely ruins a film.

There are hundreds of Spags, and many have a lot of flaws, and when I don’t like most of the songs, than yes, this is then a general flaw for me (worse are e.g. stiff mass shoot-outs with, which most Spag directors had big problems), cause it happens too often. And it is a completely unnecessary one. One of the strenghts of Spags is their then unusual way of scoring the films, but with these songs they were still copying 50s US westerns, and these songs do mostly not fit with the score of the complete film.
The songs for Navajo Joe or Companeros are great, that’s Spagie style at his best, but the songs for Return of Ringo or taste of Killing are hurting a little bit.

I hate Scott Walker’s The Rope and the Colt. There, I said it. It doesn’t bear any relation to Cemetery Without Crosses whatsoever. “Oooh-Wap! Oooh-Wap!” It sounds like the sort of rubbish you’d find in a cinema at the intermission in the seventies. “Try our ice cream, on sale in the foyer now! Oooh-wap! Oooh-Wap!”

2 Likes

Not great either, but ok for me.

As much as I love the film, I cant deny that song grates on me.

LOL.

1 Like