They Call Me Trinity / Lo chiamavano Trinità … (Enzo Barboni, 1970)

What the Rev wants to say is that he is actually a great fan of the Trinity films, only that he does not know how to express it an appropriate way.
Or he wants not everyone to know about it.

Knowing him, we all know what he actually wants to say even if it sounds like the contrary.

Thank you and I understand you perfectly. I agree that Spaghetti westerns are looked upon as low grade cinema but to us fans, are actually high grade.

Felt it was time to take a trip back in memory lane, it wasn’t the first SW I’ve watched, but was the first I knew I liked and even gave me a nickname, so some nostalgia feeling involved in this view.
It’s not like a guilty pleasure for me; those are the ones that we are ashamed to like. No nothing like that, this one I’m proud to like and pleased by the memories from infancy that bring me along during every watch. Let’s call it a simple pleasure, things aren’t complicated here.

In a more clinical analysis to the film and not being an expert in SW (I’m an accountant), I must say that apart from one or two scenes, I don’t find many SW references in it, even the Mexican thugs look in some way different from the average Mexican bandido in SW, did notice the Rio Bravo/El Dorado similarities at the beginning, the story is quite simple and undemanding, the gags are more physical than literate, they are not extra funny but they work. The chemistry between Hill and Spencer worked perfectly, very different from the artistic efforts from their previous works, and I can understand why any child in my time would like this film (no PS3, internet etc). In my opinion these films (along with others) helped to set the ton of the Italian sex comedies yet to come, they followed the same type of structure of the Trinity films

So why these films were a success back then, if obviously not a great films really far from that, well something they must have done right, my guess is that they were different from the rest of the SW at the time, even from previous more comic ones, they were also not violent and lets face it, any kid would laugh watching Bud Spencer beating some poor bad guy.

Honestly and not having watched the film in a long time, I was expecting to find it kind of boring now, but no, simple pleasures do work fine for me.
So for emotional reasons, still in my top of the most important SW, along with the Leone’s and all that.

Personally I think it is a pleasant relaxation. Nothing serious, with a good sense of humor. I firmly prefer this film to the second Trinity movie, both are good though.

Agreed. Actually, this was the 7th spaghetti western I watched, so it’s very important film for me, even though it’s not on my Top 20.

i watch it from time to time and its fun, but i must say i have been always very suspicious against trinity films (and Nobody as well)
they were too much often on TV, which was little frustrating, when one is not very fond of comedy SWs and want to see some real action

Well, I guess comedy spaghettis are little frustrating for TV. Such flicks like Death rides a horse or The Great Silence are pretty gritty and it’s possible not too much adequate. :wink:
On the other hand, Trinity movies are watched by Hill&Spencer fans…

I’ve never been a fan of spaghetti comedy’s, but this one i do like. All others are garbage, imo.

Well, apart from They Call Me Trinity and My Name Is Nobody I tend to avoid all comedy westerns.
They are just silly and that’s not what I’m looking for in spaghettis. They’re maybe good to watch them once, but I search for those movies, which I want to watch more than one time. :slight_smile:

heh, me too, although Eh, Providence is on my watchlist

Well, I’d watch it too, as at last it has Morricone’s score…
But spaghetti comedy westerns are not something extraordinary and have nothing to classify them as the must-see films, with a few exceptions. So why should I waste any more time? :wink:

But spaghetti comedy westerns are not something extraordinary and have nothing to classify them as the must-see films

I love the Trinity movies they belong in the genre…a logical end to a genre that had run it’s course (it had reached it’s epoch of eterniy a few years before. and with the exception of a couple of latter spaghetti’s, it was the end)

For me the 2 Trinity movies are up there with. Laurel & Hardy, Monty Python & Bernard Bresslaw… plus The League of Gentlemen (Are you Local… Lines and lines and Lines…canican’t…There’s mothing for you here, you’ll never leave) not fogetting an american werewolf in london and the magical performace of Brian Glover (thats enough) (remeber the Alimo…)…

Yep, agreed.
I didn’t mean Trinity movies are not the must-see films, as I love them. For me those movies are undoubtedly 4 starers.
I meant such movies like Return of Hallelujah and so on.

[b]with a few exceptions[/b]
;)

1 star from me

in my case, word “love” would be a bit too strong - i’m tolerating them would be more precise
what i don’t like about trinity films that they are too soft, they try to avoid shooting and killing (as a kid i was very unsatisfied with that) - i know, there were some killings in the first one, but, you know what i mean…
btw, comedy westerns with killings are always welcome on my watchlist :slight_smile:

i don’t see anything funny on it :-\

scenes with mexicans are very funny for me, always have a good laugh

Yeah, the drunken mexican guy is hilarious ;D!

in my case, word "love" would be a bit too strong - i'm tolerating them would be more precise
To be more precise, I love them because it's a great way to relax (I didn't mean they are without any flaws). Apart from They call him Trinity and My Name Is Nobody (the former is very good and the latter is great - at least for me - I can understand those who don't like this controversial mixture of spaghetti and comedy), those films were usually craps. :)
i know, there were some killings in the first one, but, you know what i mean...
Yeah, that's why I prefer it to the second part which I found just OK. They still call him Trinity I watched a long time ago, but I remember that I was really disappointed with this rather boring comedy.

Remo Capitani recalls the good old times :smiley:

[url]Remo Capitani ricorda Trinita' - YouTube

Good to see the guy’s still going strong :D!