They Call Me Trinity / Lo chiamavano Trinità … (Enzo Barboni, 1970)

I have stated here before that i am not a fan of the comedy SW’s and this, being a classic aside, is no exception.

I feel the comedies make a mockery of the genre.

Hill & Spencer are far better in Ace High.

well i just watched it and thought it was great. Hill’s presence really makes it entertaining. i think its refreshing to get a comedic take on the genre after seeing so many serious SW’s.

i thought the Major’s character (actor was in hitchcocks Rope (!?) and the Mexican bandit (could be a stand in for mario brega) were pretty funny and well done.

the physical gags and fight scenes were fun to watch as well.

the soundtrack was good (micalizzi who also did some lenzi films, and tarantino used a song of his in death proof), the story was pretty good, and the acting was good. bud spencer looked very comfortable as the cranky tough older brother. kind of strange it has so little votes for the top 20, but i guess that is because its a comedy.

the picture on the hens tooth was very good, although the edges of the screen seemed to be chopped off a bit…the ends of the names on the titles were often not able to be seen.

I liked the music and the first scene, but for the rest I found it to be quite boring - not funny at all, and nothing else either. Maybe it’s because I can’t stand Hill when he has that stupid slight grin on his face or his fake looking draw trick, but I had the idea that it was the whole movie as a whole that bothered me. Lovely song though.

Love this Movie but IMO the second Trinity is a bit better.
The German Title : Die Rechte und die Linke Hand des Teufels = The Right and the Left Hand of the Devil is quite good.
The scenes in the town and the sheriff office reminded me on several Town Westerns. Isn’t Terence dressed like Bob Mitchum in El Dorado? Not to forget Bud Spencers Buddy Jonathan is somehow similiar to Stumpy from Rio Bravo. Whereas the protection of the settlers looked like The Magnificent Seven. ;D

…and it’s a western, just like Chisum :wink:

They used the same title in Holland, De rechter- en de linkerhand van de duivel

I remember I misread the title, or better, those guys who made up these titles, misspelled their invention, instead of ‘rechter-’ they simply wrote ‘rechter’. The hyphen in ‘rechter-’ means a part of the word (in this case hand) is missing, so for a good understanding of the sentence it’s essential.

Now ‘rechter’ (so without a hyphen) means judge in Dutch (I think in German it’s Richter) , so I thought the film would be about a judge who got some help from the devil’s left hand. I realized my mistake afterwards.

Interesting what about the Trinity is still My Name in German: 4 Fäuste für ein Halleluja = 4 Fists for one Halleluja.
In the german Version Terence has the the Name: Der müde Joe = The tired Joe which somehow fits perfect to him. :smiley:

Or a Comedy Western like Support Your Local Sheriff and yes there are some Cows too.

In Holland they continued to give the films with Hill&Spencer names with either ‘devil’ or ‘fists’ in it; they also retitled older movies ti this effect:

Trinity is still my Name = De vier vuisten van de Duivel (The Four fists of the Devil)

Boot Hill = Halelujah voor een paar vuisten (Halelujah for a few fists)

God forgives, I don’t = De Duivel kent geen genade (The devil has no mercy)

Why not God Forgives, the Devil Never

In Swedish Theatres: runningtime: 115 min

Originaltitel:
CHIAMAVANO TRINITÀ, LO (They Call Me Trinity)

Regissör:
CLUCHER, E.B. (=BARBONI, ENZO)

År och land:
1970 Italien

Distributör i Sverige:
SUCCÉFILM AB

Beslut:
Från 15 år

Beslutsdatum:
1971-04-14

Längd i tid:
1:55:07

Format:
Film Spelfilm Cinemascope Färgfilm

Antal klipp:

Skådespelare:

HILL, TERENCE
SPENCER, BUD
GRANGER, FARLEY
ZACHARIAS, STEFFEN
STURKIE, DAN
ROSSI, LUCIANO

1 Like

This is among my prefer westerns! A masterpiece of the history of the italian cinematography. Here in Italy the movie is idolized by everyone, like to everybody. Is even transmitted almost every month on tv. I’ve seen it at least 100 times, is one of the greatest spaghetti western ever made.

We had a Hill & Spencer special a while ago, among other things, I wrote this article on ‘Trinity’

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/A_Man_called_Trinity

Good to know that. I am wondering, is Anthony Steffen, Gianni Garko, Giuliano Gemma etc… still well known in Italy or have people forgotten them?

Giuliano Gemma is still remembered, also because he is frequently guest in some italian tv shows and recently he did a tv serial.

Anthony Steffen and Gianni Garko are almost forgotten :frowning:

You must know that spaghetti western in Italy aren’t much considered, they are see by almost everybody like low cinema, aside the fans like you/us. The true is that the italian cinematography, today, is unwatchable, infinitely worst than spaghetti western. Along with Neorealismo, the SWs are our high cinema, not the actually.

I hope my english is readable :-[

That’s sad… and your english is fine - better than mine after a few ciders!
Good to have an Italian on board - welcome amigo!
(I’ll keep my views on the Trinity films :stuck_out_tongue: to myself for a while - shame to ruin a new relationship ;))

Thanks!

Come on, pard! I want know your opinion about Trinity. My great respect for your opinions :slight_smile:

Ahh hmmm eeeh hum. My thoughts have been expressed elsewhwere on the forum. I’ll point you there another day hmmm … ;D
Ahh, is that the time? Feeling tired (where’s the yawning smiley?). Busy day tomorrow - early night an’ all that. Must rush :wink:

I agree that many Italian intellectuals look down on the genre, but things are changing a little; some of them have discoreved (or rediscovered) the spaghetti western as the Italian genre cinema par excellence

Just look at this site:

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:39, topic:300”]I agree that many Italian intellectuals look down on the genre, but things are changing a little; some of them have discoreved (or rediscovered) the spaghetti western as the Italian genre cinema par excellence

Just look at this site:

http://www.scudit.net/mdwestern.htm[/quote]
Great scherpschutter!!! Many thanks for the link!

Agree with rediscover, but it is always still impotent than about other genres. Excuse me… maybe this is not the right place where talk about this topic. Link me the right discussion, if there is :slight_smile:

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:38, topic:300”]Ahh hmmm eeeh hum. My thoughts have been expressed elsewhwere on the forum. I’ll point you there another day hmmm … ;D
Ahh, is that the time? Feeling tired (where’s the yawning smiley?). Busy day tomorrow - early night an’ all that. Must rush ;)[/quote]
;D Anyway, I’m always here. You are fantastic, hombres! I’m very happy to read and talk with you!