The Ruthless Four / Ognuno per sé (Giorgio Capitani, 1968)

Watched the movie last night and still (it’s been a long time since the last viewing) like it very much. The actors are doing a really good job… :smiley: and the Koch release is top-notch once again :smiley: !!!

I read a review on amazon that said they changed the scene at the beginning where Van Heflin gets attacked by bandits…that they changed the scene from daytime to nighttime…is that true? talking about the Koch release

This scene was most likely intended to be a night scene.
But it was shot in the bright daylight and then it should be turned with a day for night filter into a night scene.
But e.g. the version shown on German TV has this scene without the filters. Frankly said, it indeed looks better as a day scene. And the French master used for the Koch DVD is remarkable dark for this scene.

I don’t know about The Ruthless Four (haven’t got it yet), but it looks like some versions of Navajo Joe had the same thing:
http://www.spaghettiwesterndvds.com/movies/navajo-joe/screenshots/

Without knowing anything about the film, I’d suspect that Koch has got it right and the scene is supposed to be nighttime (but shot in the day because it was easier) and previous versions got it wrong?

(Addendum: it looks like Stanton has said much time same thing while I was typing)

Interesting, thanks guys!
I want to get a copy badly, as this is one of my favorites. I have a crummy version right now.

Please, can someone, who has a TV or VHS copy of The Ruthless 4, check if the scene at the beginning, in which Cooper is robbed by a river, is set at day or at night

Can’t find my copy, but I’m almost sure it was a day scene in the version shown on German TV

Yes, it was a day scene in the German TV version. There are some discussions cause of the difference between German DVD and TV.

But I’m asking for other versions (British TV and VHS versions were mentioned in this thread) to see what they have to offer. But not the Engl. Fandub, cause this one uses also the German TV version.

Enjoy gold adventure films where greed takes over and things often get nasty. Nice cast, with a good mixture of ages. Roland has the slight edge for me though. Its his moustache I think, and he even finds time to trim it. Kinski is sneaky as ever, and just knew he was the type of character who would order a milk at the bar. Was trying to figure out whether Hilton and Kinski were special friends… Not viewed in a while, so the Koch disc was a good time. Thought the print was a little dark most of the time, and just wish english subtitles had been provided re the extras.[font=times new roman][/font]

Just checked: in the cut italian TV version (88 min. with opening credits in English) the scene is set at day.

Thanks, another point for the day version.

Man with a Name or Ion Britton, wahat about your versions?

Heres some screenshots of the Koch disc

wow! nice quality…I want this disc but too expensive right now to get it here in the US

Yeah, nice screenshots, thanks for posting. :slight_smile:

Got this in my amazon.de cart, but will probably wait until the release of the overdue last rainbow film (July - August?), their postage and packaging charges are not that cheap to the UK. :frowning:

I am not satisfied with the colors on DVD. They are not resemble to glorious Technicolor.

I decided to try a dvdrip before ordering the Koch DVD. It is quite different than the average western spaghetti. Very slow paced and with an unexpected gay feeling between Kinski and Hilton.

Surprised me this. Did not notice when I first viewed I think.

Well it might be dubious but there’s definitely something going on between those two fellows.

It isn’t made obvious, but there is enough evidence to assume it.

I always thought it was pretty obvious. In fact it always surprises how many obviously gay elements are to be found in such a macho, catholic genre. $10,000 Dollars Blood Money, Fury of Johnny Kid, Django Kill are three others that spring to mind. I’m struggling to think of a single U.S. western that goes there at all.