The Ruthless Four / Ognuno per sé (Giorgio Capitani, 1968)

True.

The Outlaw (very obvious)
The Left Handed Gun
One Eyed Jacks
Doc
In My Darling Clementine Earp is obviously fascinated by the looks of Holliday and is himself shown making him pretty, and it seems it wasn’t for Clementine.

[quote=“Stanton, post:82, topic:858”]One Eyed Jacks[/quote]Really? It’s been a while since I saw this last time but I haven’t ever noticed any gay innuendos.

the ruthless bor, one or two gunfight after 1 hour and 15 minutes

What about The Wild Bunch?

Maybe not, I’m not exactly sure. It is based on the Billy the Kid myth, and it seems that the Billy the Kid and Wyatt Earp films have often a few gay undertones. There was this whipping scene and … well, I would like to re-watch it.

[quote=“Stanton, post:82, topic:858”]The Outlaw (very obvious)
The Left Handed Gun
One Eyed Jacks
Doc
In My Darling Clementine Earp is obviously fascinated by the looks of Holliday and is himself shown making him pretty, and it seems it wasn’t for Clementine.[/quote]

Been too long since I watched either Left Handed Gun or Doc but I don’t remember anything in them of that sort. My Darling Clementine I don’t buy at all.

Had to think about Doc for the moment. Would not have noticed unless you mentioned Stanton, but yes I can see some undertones now.

wild bunch? very good!

There is some of it in the way Billy’s gang plays together. And I have read ages ago that Penn uses images which are in the dream interpretation are used as symbols for homosexuality. Like shooting at the reflection of the moon in one scene.
Penn is the typical director to smuggle such things in his films.

In Doc it is again Wyatt who is connected with being gay.

I’m sure there are several more old US westerns in which the male friendship has a few gay undertones. But obviously there is none which shows it in an obvious way.
But that was probably avoided in all westerns before Brokeback Mountain. With the exceptions of underground (Andy Warhol’s Lonesome Cowboys) and parody (Blazing Saddles).

A film I have recently seen is Sam Fuller’s House of Bamboo, a gangster movie set in post war Japan.

Here Robert Ryan is obviously attracted by Robert Stack, and Cameron Mitchell is jealous about it. Ryan killing Mitchell is filmed like an orgasm.

Sure, but what about this Holden - Borgnine relationship, what about Borgnine waiting outside when the others are having intercourse with the prostitutes? There’s some homosexual feeling hanging over a lot of Peckinpah’s movies, maybe that was the soft side of this macho. I’ve never ready a Freudian study of his work, but I’m quite sure his films are diagnosed as being marked by repressed homosexual tendencies.

One way of looking at it I suppose :smiley: .

the only bore scenes i noticed was with robert ryan and his crap gang, all the other movie was great!

Yes, but that’s what I mean, I referred to these scenes in relation to the theme of American westerns & homosexuality.
I don’t like to read too many things into a movie, and especially with these things (freudian, homosexual) it’s all a bit arbitrary, but The Wild Buch always seemed to me a movie with homosexual symbolism written all over it.

just watched the Koch DVD. enjoyable flick with some great moments. nothing out of the ordinary though i would say. great actors however

I just watched it too and I think it’s above average. It has good acting from a star cast and lots of suspense.
And the print itself is beautiful. It’s in my alternative to 20 for sure.

I was expecting your average spaghetti western but it turned out to be quite a different movie. I was afraid that Kinki´s name was another one of those marketing scams but luckily he actually has a decent amount of screen time here.

This is probably one of the few spaghetti westerns that actually focuses on tension and suspense rather than action sequences. Capitani manages to create this tension between the characters which keeps things interesting throughout since there are only about 3 action sequences in the whole picture. Of course the solid cast and the other talents involved (Di Leo, Ercoli) made sure that we would get an above average spaghetti westerns. I can imagine that some people would be bored by the somewhat slow progress of the story, but if you take your time the movie turns out to be a rewarding experience. The only thing i disliked was Rustichelli´s score, but otherwise i can recommend this movie to any spaghetti western fan who likes his movies with a little bit of more substance.

I love this movie. I almost always appreciate those slow-paced films, with a strong emphasis on tension and acting. The only thing in this one, that sucks, is a bit strange Rustichelli’s soundtrack. It rather works good, but it sometimes sounds like an old adventure movie with Clark Gable. We have here not too many gunfights, but if you’re looking for action, better leave it.
Very good film with great cast and a beautifully looking ghost town. ;D
Certainly different kind of spaghetti western, definitely not a crap.

Excellent film but with some minor flaws. Directing and cinematography are awesome, the gunfight scene in the middle part is great and you can really feel the tension between the characters in the mining scenes and during the journey. Cast is superb, none of the four main characters are not overshadowed by others as they all give their best to the role. I especially like Kinski here who makes these little things that are really memorable like wearing sack over his head in the mine, something he probably invented himself.

But the flaws… in my opinion the beginning and the ending are the biggest let downs. The first 15 minutes of the film is quite awkward but it gets better once Kinski enters the film. And the ending was a bit of a anti-climax. It would have been better if the last fight had been between the four protagonist.

Still very good sw… 4/5