The Mercenary / A Professional Gun / Il mercenario (Sergio Corbucci, 1968)

I watched it one more time last night. Itā€™s not the best spaghetti western about mexican revolution, but still itā€™s very good movie. Advantages? Morricone made fantastic score (as always) and the duel is one of my favorites in all spaghetti westerns. I also love Neroā€™s charakter. He is so cool here. And he is from Poland, just like me :slight_smile:

In my opinion ā€œMercenarioā€ is much better than ā€œCompanerosā€. Mayby because Curly is better nemesis than John? Who knowsā€¦ I even like Musante here. Milian is brilliant actor, but how many times he could play the same role of mexican revolutionist (ā€œCompanerosā€ and ā€œTepepaā€)?

I hope all non-polish-speaking forumites can forgive me, but i canā€™t help myself:P
Witam, miło że pojawił się tu ktoś z Polski :wink:

[quote=ā€œalk0, post:102, topic:177ā€]I hope all non-polish-speaking forumites can forgive me, but i canā€™t help myself:P
Witam, miło że pojawił się tu ktoś z Polski ;)[/quote]
can we have a translation please :slight_smile:

"Welcome, itā€™s nice that someone from Poland have appeared hereā€™.

[quote=ā€œalk0, post:104, topic:177ā€]"Welcome, itā€™s nice that someone from Poland have appeared hereā€™.[/quote]cheers Alk0

Definately in my top 5 swā€™s.

Quite possibly Neroā€™s coolest performance,definitely Palanceā€™s best performance as Curly which he camps up brilliantly.Milian as Paco instead of Musante?Musante works well with Giovana Ralli and iā€™m so sure about a woman dominated Milian peon.

Morricones score is magnificent especially during the bullring arena showdown which maybe the best non-Leone gun duel (even if it is meant as a parody of the Dollar trilogy duels).The climax comes early yeah,but thereā€™s still plenty left in this movie to keep one enthralled. :smiley:

I managed to find a good quality copy of this with Spanish audio on a public torrent site. Does anyone know where I can find English subtitles?

I had huge expectations for this one after reading hiughes article about it. I was let down. It is not terrible but Iā€™m sure the direct source DVD I saw of this was.

still haven t seen it or found it made wild east wil release it
cross my fingers

I gave it 5 even though I sort of think the ending after the colosseum duel feels out of placeā€¦ I donā€™t think the fullscreen dvd is that bad the picture and sound are clear, iā€™ve seen it on widescreen on tv in italian, canā€™t wait for a dvd release.

[quote=ā€œdead-by-dawn, post:109, topic:177ā€]still haven t seen it or found it made wild east wil release it
cross my fingers[/quote]
Koch Media is releasing this spring next year. And let me tell you that is the best that could happen to this movie. They will give this movie the quality release it deserves.

I recently watched a widescreen copy of this that Turner Classic Movies ran a while ago, i think i liked this even more than Companeros. If only Milian had played the part of Paco it would have been even more fun.

Welcome to the show Spaghetti Monkey
There are some real fans of this movie on the forum
Thereā€™s even a Paco Roman

Thanks for the welcome, this film deserves every fan it has, shame it isnā€™t more easily available.

Hi Spaghetti Monkey welcome. Iā€™m certainly not agree with you. Tony Musante is the best for Paco. :wink:
With Tomas it would have been more like Companeros. :slight_smile:

Hopefully there will be a better release of The Mercenary this year!

You say that like it would be a bad thing. Just kiddin, itā€™s definitely darn good as is. Itā€™s in the running for my favorite Corbucci.

THE MERCENARY is not only my favorite Corbucci film, it easily within the Top 5 of my favorite Italian Western films.

Seeing as there is a lot of chat about Weisserā€™s errors recently, I have a couple of questions here too regarding Fraylingā€™s and Hughesā€™ analyses of this movie. Unfortunately I donā€™t remember what Weisser said and, having just moved apartment, my copy is still sitting in storage.

1. Why does Frayling in ā€œSpaghetti Westernsā€ (p.236) say that Jack Palanceā€™s character, Curly, is homosexual? I just donā€™t see it myself.

2. Hughes in ā€œOnce Upon a Time in the Italian Westā€ (p.214) says the international print cuts a scene where Pepote, which he misspells as Peporte, has his male appendage chopped off. Firstly that sounds too graphic even for a Corbucci SW (I never thought Iā€™d say that); secondly I have the Japanese SPO print, which I believe to be uncut, which just shows this horrible sentence being passed and Pepote being taken away.

1. You donā€™t see it? Palanceā€™s homosexuality isnā€™t shown directly, but is more than obvious in his habit, his hair-style, his behaviour, and especially in his scenes with all his nice young henchmen (especially Sebastian). He even mourns about their deaths.

2. Here is Frayling simply wrong. Unless the announced Koch DVD tells us different.

I agree with Stanton. Palanceā€™s homosexuality is a subtextual thing, which some people probably overlook, but itā€™s there.