The Mercenary / A Professional Gun / Il mercenario (Sergio Corbucci, 1968)

hmmm, guess Iā€™ll have to rewatch it. I do remember him being very upset about Sebastianā€™s death and also choosing to go completely butt naked when Sergei and Paco send him on his merry way. But I also remember him being surrounded by those ā€œtwo ladiesā€ at the beginning which he used as his queens in the card game.

I hope Koch keeps the english audio or I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be upgrading unless they do find a longer version which I doubt exists.

Homosexuality in SWs seems to be topic in a couple of threads these days. Maybe it would make a thread itselfā€¦

I like that one ;D

I showed a bunch of friends the duel on Youtube during a random Youtube session and it was weird the division of enjoymentā€¦The youngest of my friends found it awesome another was unimpressed and it went alot like that with everyone else. But everyone loved the music. Morricones music has a pretty much universal love like the Beatles.

I actually saw Companeros first but as Iā€™m watching Iā€™m asking myself which I like better. The score & the duel with curly put it over the top for me. The blood from the flower was one of the best duel moments ever. This was one of the last on the sw top 20 for me to see but worth the wait. Tony Musante was great in this movie & I donā€™y think Millian would have done a better job. As for Pallanceā€™s curly being gay, he did have a perm & the fact that he was surrounded by beautiful women shouldnā€™t mean heā€™s not gay. He could be overcompensating.

The majority of male fashion designers are gay and they spend most of their lives surrounded by beautiful womenā€¦

This was one of the first SWs I can remember seeing and itā€™s never let me down; each time I revisit it, the entertainment and the intensity strikes me anew. Itā€™s uneven like most of Corbucciā€™s films (and like 99% of SWs), but remains a firm favourite.

This is repeated by Alex Cox in ā€œ10,000 Ways to Dieā€ who specifically cites Marco Giusti as stating this scene to have originally been included.

This is one of my favorites by Sergio. Nero is great and Palance is as well. I also like Musante in the peasant turned revolutionary.
I too saw Companeros first but this one is better (I am not a huge Milian fan). The music is far superior even though Morricone did both soundtracks and I like Neroā€™s and Palanceā€™s characters in this one a lot more.

I just finished watching this and itā€™s the best SW Iā€™ve seen in quite some timeā€¦makes my personal top 15 for sure. Itā€™s my second favourite Corbucci (first is Il Grande Silenzio) and, I would say, edges out Companeros.

Fantastic score, excellent cast, very few flaws in this one.

Glad you liked it.

Did you already make a top 20? It was a bit calm at the voting front the last months.

[quote=ā€œPacificador, post:128, topic:177ā€]I just finished watching this and itā€™s the best SW Iā€™ve seen in quite some timeā€¦makes my personal top 15 for sure. Itā€™s my second favourite Corbucci (first is Il Grande Silenzio) and, I would say, edges out Companeros.

Fantastic score, excellent cast, very few flaws in this one.[/quote]

Couldnā€™t agree more, almost makes up for your flawed opinion of BLOOD AT SUNDOWN. ;D

Iā€™ll wait to rewatch it ntil the KOCH release arrives. This will be the best way to enjoy it once more.

ha ha ! heyoā€¦ ;D

Call me crazy but I didnā€™t like it that much. Sure, great music, actors, settings, directing, everything but it didnā€™t work for me. It doesnā€™t have this revolutionary mood of Companeros.

Blasphemer!

mabye iā€™ll finally get to see this film with this Koch release coming upā€¦exicted! seen most corbuccis but for some reason i could never find this fucking movie

[quote=ā€œSilence, post:133, topic:177ā€]Call me crazy but I didnā€™t like it that much. Sure, great music, actors, settings, directing, everything but it didnā€™t work for me. It doesnā€™t have this revolutionary mood of Companeros.[/quote]same here, itā€™s a great movie but somehow I never got that into it. Iā€™d easily give it 4/5 stars but itā€™s not a personal favorite.

For now, Iā€™m agreeing with silence. It had great potential and a welcome large budget but I found it a bit disjointed. However, the cheap direct source US DVD I first saw it on (and paid a $200 deposit to my vid store as itā€™s apparently out oā€™ print) could be to blame for this as it was fullscreen (I think) and possibly cut. Either way, I still canā€™t put it high on my rewatch pile.

OKā€¦you are crazy! :smiley:

I like COMPANEROS, but nowhere near as much as I like THE MERCENARY.
I am completely opposite of Bill san Antonioā€™s view of these two films.
THE MERCENARY is in my Top 3 or 4 among SWā€™sā€¦whereas COMPANEROS is just barely in my Top 25.

bought a bootleg copy of the japanese disc off ebay a long time ago, one of the first spaghettis I boughtā€¦ have loved it ever since.

its long overdue for a rewatch, but waiting for the Koch release

[quote=ā€œChris_Casey, post:138, topic:177ā€]OKā€¦you are crazy! :smiley:

I like COMPANEROS, but nowhere near as much as I like THE MERCENARY.
I am completely opposite of Bill san Antonioā€™s view of these two films.
THE MERCENARY is in my Top 3 or 4 among SWā€™sā€¦whereas COMPANEROS is just barely in my Top 25.[/quote]

Could this be down to the ā€˜Milian Factorā€™ for you Chris?