The Mercenary / A Professional Gun / Il mercenario (Sergio Corbucci, 1968)

Oh my god, this has to be the BEST Spaghetti-Western ever! :o
I saw it yesterday on television, sadly in an edited version (I heard, that some violent details where missing), but “Il Mercenario” turned out to be a great experience, nevertheless. Very tough, then very entertaining in a sort of “Whooohoo”-type of way, never a dull second. I particularly liked that assault with the automobile and the mounted machine-gun. And of course the music. “Il Arena” by Ennio Morricone is pure goosebump kind of music and the final duel in the Arena must be certainly the greatest stand-offs I’ve ever seen. It felt so epic. I can’t think of a more perfect balance between images and music-score. It’s just sad, that this scene wasn’t the end of the movie, there were still some plot-twists to follow after, which felt a little rushed, but overall they didn’t affect the quality of the movie. I gotta have the DVD. But I’m afraid there’s not a lot of decent stuff out there, concerning “Il Mercenario”, right?

For more info visit:
DATABASE PAGE: Mercenario, Il - The Spaghetti Western Database (spaghetti-western.net)

Give The Mercenary your rating out of 5 stars!

0 voters

Yeah, I guess there’s only three dvd version available: One crappy fullscreen version from US (or Canada?), Italian release without english dub or subs and the Japanese dvd which is great. I have it myself but it was sooo expensive. It may also be out of print already.

But there’s always a chance to get it from e-bay.

MY VERSION OF IL MERCENARIO IS 106 min,DOES THIS SOUND LIKE THE ORIGINAL RUN TIME?

Japanese edition is also 106 minutes (in NTSC) so I guess it is.

you lucky folks :wink:
damn MGM for not releasing this

Yep SPO Japan did a great job.

it freaks me out that the MGM version on german TV is really nice widescreen and all, but they’re just too dumb to release it on a sabata-quality level DVD with reinstated deleted scenes! that can’t be so hard ;-)))

I cannot believe this too. it worked very well with the other MGM releases …

yeah i mean, i don’t need extras if the dvd is only 10 euros. just give me a good transfer, two audio options or three , subtitles and a trailer :wink:

Eventually you should produce and publish DVDs, amigo :slight_smile:

in my dreams, i am :wink:

DEFINTLY THE BEST" MATCH STRIKING MOMENT" IN OF ANY SW,when nero lights his match on the bandits teeth 8)

One of the best SW ever made!

Definitely go along with that…in fact I make it a point to watch this at least once a week. It’s just so much fun and makes me feel good at the end of it. A definite “blues-buster”.

Out of curiosity, can anyone identify the white enamel military cross that Franco Nero wears on his waistcoat throughout most of the film, and then around his neck towards the end of it. Tried a google search and couldn’t find it under “Polish military medals/decoration”.

i’d say it was just as good in Companeros when he lights the match inside the roulette table operators nostril, that’s gotta hurt! ;D

He lights a match on a woman’s breast in one scene.

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:2, topic:177”]Yeah, I guess there’s only three dvd version available: One crappy fullscreen version from US (or Canada?), Italian release without english dub or subs and the Japanese dvd which is great. I have it myself but it was sooo expensive. It may also be out of print already.

But there’s always a chance to get it from e-bay.[/quote]

There is also a spanish version which, i believe, doesnt have english dub. If i remember right it is called Salario para matar.

Some German guys started a online petition:
they want mgm to release navajo joe & il mercenario (a professionel gun)
perhaps someone would like to join in and to support this almost hopeless project:

http://www.petitiononline.com/mgm3791/petition.html

I’m also thinking about to put this link in the navajo joe & il mercenario database side,what do syoyu think Seb ?

and there is also a very cheap usa good version called Professional gun

and there is also a very cheap usa good version called Professional gun

But that version is fullscreen isn’t it? Not very good in that case :wink: