The Man Who Came to Kill / Doc, Hands of Steel / L’uomo dalla pistola d’oro / Doc, manos de plata (Alfonso Balcázar, 1965)

I don’t think he or anybody else did it for fun in this or that movie, but linking a character to a pig (or another animal) could have a symbolic meaning

The scene I’m thinking of is definitely played for comedy, as in Sancho is obsessed with food and can’t wait to turn his prize into sausages ( Can’t remember the exact quote ) - But I do take your point about the symbolism.

Yep. The reason I mentioned at the time that Sancho might have an issue with pigs was that I had just seen him in another spaghetti western where he punched a pig repeatedly in the head. I just guess that he was somewhat of a douchebag.

My idea as well. Pigs, especially piglets are often thought to be funny animals. They make funny noises and walk in funny way, as if they were in a comedy capers movie

Today a psychoanalyst would say he was acting out because of his self loathing :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

As a side note to your fine review, in which you mention Warlock as a possible influence on Spanish and Italian Western directors in general and on L’uomo dalla pistola d’oro in particular: In Italy, Edward Dmytryk’s “psychological Western” was released under the title Ultima notte a Warlock in April or, more likely, September 1959 (depending on the source). At that time (September), Sergio Leone, after having worked on the chariot race sequence for William Wyler’s Ben-Hur from April to the beginning of August, was ghostdirecting the peplum Gli ultimi giorni di Pompei, whose initial director, Leone’s mentor Mario Bonnard, had fallen ill. Years later, when he was interviewed by Christopher Frayling in 1982, Leone stated, “And Warlock I liked very much.” Leone’s fondness for Dmytryk’s Western was also emphasized by screenwriter Luciano Vincenzoni, who told Frayling in 1999, “Another one [of the movies Sergio liked and that he’d memorized] was Warlock with Henry Fonda, Richard Widmark, and Anthony Quinn. That was his favorite.”
Evidently, Leone’s fascination with Warlock lay less in the film’s “psychology” than its numerous ritualized gunfights: Deputy Sheriff Thomson (Walter Coy) versus Abe McQuown (Tom Drake), Clay Blaisedell (Henry Fonda) versus Curley Burne (DeForest Kelley), Clay Blaisedell versus Billy Gannon (Frank Gorshin), Johnny Gannon (Richard Widmark) versus Abe McQuown, Clay Blaisedell versus Tom Morgan (Anthony Quinn), Clay Blaisedell versus Johnny Gannon, each staged in a highly stylized manner.
Interestingly, Balcázar’s L’uomo dalla pistola d’oro (censura: November 18, 1965; release date: December 3, 1965) actually preceded the Italian publication of Ian Fleming’s identically titled James Bond novel in 1966. (By the way, I guess the date given on the film’s database page, November 7, 1966, is the Spanish release date.)

1 Like

Thanks. I knew i had read somewhere about the popularaity of the movie among Italian western directors and Leone in particular, but couldn’t remember where and when. I thought first that the Italian title of Warlock was L’uomo dalle pistole d’oro, but that turned out not to be true. I mixed things up, it was - as said - th_e french_ title that had golden pistols in it

Ah, yes, the sources: for the biographical data concerning Leone, see Christopher Frayling, Sergio Leone: Something to Do with Death, London: Faber and Faber, 2000, p. 72; both quotations (Leone’s and Vincenzoni’s statements) are taken from Christopher Frayling, Sergio Leone: Once Upon a Time in Italy, London: Thames & Hudson, 2008 (2005), p. 86 and p. 141.
Do you think we should change the release date on the database page? If yes, the film will move from the 1966 to the 1965 category. Could someone confirm the Italian release date, December 3, 1965? Maybe @Carlos or @JonathanCorbett?

Well anica has: censura: 46019 del 18-11-1965 so that release date seems about right. When @JonathanCorbett surfaces he can probably confirm.

The Bruckner book also has the release date 3.12.65. I changed it.

Efficient! :man_mechanic:

Yes, November '65 is right.

The rating was VM14, confirmed on appeal ‘‘per le numerose scene di esasperata violenza e per la insistenza compiaciuta con cui si mettono in evidenza atti di estrema crudeltà e di gravi sevizie’’.

Decided to re-watch this after falling asleep the last time and really enjoyed it. I can see this had the potential to be an even better film with but overall, it’s worth a watch. I have a widescreen TV print if anybody is interested in a trade. It’s better than the official DVD.

IMDb is right about the Italian release date of Warlock: public showing was authorized on April 15, 1959 (film length 3328 metres).

Grazie, JonathanCorbett.

Is this the movie where he says
“Bad men live on that hill. The badder you are the higher you live. I live on the tippy tippy top”

Last one for today… This film’s database page has been updated to the new layout. Please help us improve it by contributing information or material.

Credits page has been created for L’ Uomo dalla pistola d’oro (Doc, Hands of Steel)

1 Like

Copied from the Spagvemberfest 2023 thread:

1 Like

Wow, what a great surprise. A hidden gem. I really liked this one. Already the awesome catchy title song gives you an idea this is going to be something out of ordinary.

Carl Möhner as the protagonist gives as stoic performance as it gets (or wooden, you decide) and is overshadowed by excellent Louis Dávila who is super cool here.

The movie is nicely directed and I read in the review it was co-directed by Guerrieri and it makes perfect sense considering how well directed some scenes are. There are also scenes with these thrilling musical effects that Guierrieri later used so much in Johnny Yuma to a great effect.

4/5

1 Like