The Last Western You Watched?

Cheers, will give it a try.

Do prefer Donald Sutherland aswell.

I liked him Eye of The Needle. Heā€™s a right bastard in that.

Yes, love that one :smile: .

The Bravados
-Good manhunt western with Gregory Peck and Lee van Cleef and Henry Silva as a members of villains.

1 Like

One of my favourite American westerns.

I just finished watching The Scavengers (1969). Not bad for a low budget film. Recommended for fans of exploitation westerns.

Especially with his ā€œNeedleā€.

Well acted, yes, especially by Crowe, but there is some stupid stuff in it, and for me it is a total disapointment.

I re-watched the the Daves film last year, and it was a positive surprise as it was better than remembered, and it was always a fine western. It is clearly Davesā€™ best film, and very stylish, with some stunning photography and of course also very well acted. Only the scenes with Heflinā€™s wife towards the end keep it from becoming a 10/10 film. But it is now 9/10, and only a few westerns are in that regionā€¦

TO ALL ,what are your favorite westerns? If youll indulge me and my thoughtful top 20 How long does your top ten last? I goā€¦
One Eyed Jacks
Rio Bravo
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
Johnny Guitar
True Grit (2010)
Warlock
Outlaw Josey Wales
Ride Lonesome
3:10 to Yuma (1957)
Ravenous
Ride the High Country
The White Buffalo
The Wild Bunch
Dances with Wolves
The Professionals
Buffalo Bill and the Indians
Day of the Outlaw
Dead Man
The Furies
From Noon Till Three

Thereā€™s a topic here where we posted these lists. Iā€™d definitely make lots of changes to my list now though.

1 Like

Broken Lance (1954)
A re-watch from a recent Blu-ray copy. Not much on action, but still an entertaining family feud western nevertheless. Good story, good cast, good cinematography and great acting by (Spencer Tracy) who dominates every scene that heā€™s in. One of the best western dramas from the 50ā€™s imo.

Just viewed this one. Same thoughts as you on the film. Thought Donald was going a bit on auto pilot mode.

The Valley of the Dancing Widows has much the same pace and tone of the directorā€™s Jaiderā€™s Gang. The theme of strangers in a strange land is explored from a different angle with the men trying to understand why they are not so welcome even though this is home. The confusion may transfer to the viewer :slight_smile: This is one of those movies that show the cast with pictures in the credits. Someone else was also confused :smile:

Just watched Big Jake with The Duke from 1971.

Just viewed Forsaken myself. Thereā€™s a severe lack of originality here, you can see where the plot is exactly going after the first 15 minutes, however the decent production values make it quite passable. None of the performances were truly good enough, save for that of Michael Wincott perhaps (he kept bringing Val Kilmer in Tombstone to mind, which was a bit annoying after some point). Youā€™re not missing much if you skip this one altogether.

Preferred Jaiderā€™s Gang more as had a hard time getting into The Valley of the Dancing Widows.

Lazaga: Vente a ligar al Oeste (1972)
-This actually not a western but spanish comedy set in Almeria during the spaghetti western years where spanish guy tries his luck in movie business playing all sorts of small roles and stunt tricks.

Kill or Be Killed (aka) Red on Yella, Kill a Fella (2015)- I turned it off after 25 minutes in, couldnā€™t take it anymore. The acting and dialogue in this low-budget film was really horrendous. Pffft!

The Homesman - 2014 - Tommy Lee Jones

My favorite directed film by Tommy Lee Jones (and The three burialsā€¦ wasnā€™t a bad film), this different type of western hard to classify.
The film works as on the road type of film, with Tommy Lee Jones and Hilary Swank travelling some dangerous path, while carrying three woman that had lost their mental sanity as the result of the hard live type of the western frontier, to a place where they could be treated.
Both actors are brilliant in their performances, the film like the story is very visceral clearly trying to be true to the period when the events take part, the land at times seems like something from another planet, I felt uncomfortable through most of the film, not as a result form to quality of the film, but how god things are shown.
Lee directs in a style similar to Clint Eastwood with a very controlled plot, I does a good job even if not a perfect film, for instance I didnā€™t like the ending or at least I didnā€™t understand, another thing is that contrary to Clint who always takes a more sober approach to his own characterā€™s, Lee takes more liberties that donā€™t work or look so well.
In conclusion I did like the film, hard to watch most of the time but, a good story definitely I would recommended, and pay attention to several cameos or small parts from Maryl Streep to James Spader.

Return of the Texan - Delmer Daves, 1952

Daveā€™s 2nd western, which is close to a melodrama, is a post-western set around too conventional characters and conflicts. Likable to a certain extent, but no wonder it wasnā€™t released in Germany. 4/10