The Last Western You Watched?

Good to know I’m not the only one :grinning:. I’m Always tweaking the volume up and down when I watch it as the singing does get a bit overpowering!

JESSI’S GIRLS - A woman is after the killers who raped her and murdered her husband. Typical 70s exploitation western that, unsurprisingly, ain’t too good at all. The main theme of the score is repeated so many times during the film it’s pure madness. Oh well, at least the chicks were good looking.

The Hateful Eight. What a nice movie! I don’t understand people who hate the movie. Two of my work colleagues were very disappointed. But I loved it! Western and a bit of Agatha Christie. 5/5 Stars

1 Like

ii’m going to watch Sartana the gravedigger

Backlash with Robert Widmark, on that nice Explosive Media BluRay. Not the greatest movie but I liked his character in it.

Robert or Richard Widmark?

I think Robert Widmark was a pseudonym used by Alberto dell’Aqua

his secret twin brother :slight_smile:

The Revenant.

Breathtaking scenery is what first captured me in this one. But no sweeping main theme on the soundtrack, unlike the film before it based on the same character of the film…Man In The Wilderness. Did compare the two films alot, as I do like Man In The Wilderness alot. The thing I struggled with a bit in The Revenant is the main character recovered alot quicker than in Man In The Wilderness. Things re recovery were just more of a struggle in Man In The Wilderness, and alot more realistic in my view. Even though The Revenant is more violent than Man In The Wilderness, it just does not have that 70’s grittyness to the film which is a quality I enjoy alot. Do prefer the lead actor in Man In The Wilderness more aswell.

Rightly or wrongly I have compared the two films, and although The Revenant is an enjoyable film, its Man In The Wilderness the film I will be going back to view in years to come.

I agree with you on most points. The recovery is much better developed in Man in the Wilderness. The revenant reminded me in that aspect - as strange as it may sound - of 12 Years a Slave: that was a good movie, but when the slave was freed, you didn’t have the idea that 12 years had past.

I’m not a fan of Richard Harris, but I do admit that he was better than DiCaprio.
Well, I suppose Dicaprio will get his Oscar. Behaving like a fool, a beast or a autist is what brings you an Oscar as an actor. Btw: The film should get at least one, for cinematography.

The score? Don’t remember anything. Well, I remember that I noticed in one scene that the movie had at least some music.

Yes I agree the score in The Revenant goes for that low key style, and no I did not enjoy it. I want a nice main theme for that scenery, which would have contrasted well with the events to come.

Morricone did a score for The H8ful 8. Haven’t seen that movie yet, but I had the idea this would’ve been the right movie for a perfect Morricone score

Well score does not necessarily mean “music” as such. I loved The Revenant’s score, it was atmospheric, eerie and minimalist

1 Like

Today Me… Tomorrow You! Featuring a bug-eyed psychotic Tatsuya Nakadai, looking like a Comanchero version of Park Chang-yi.

I like how Horst Frank looks like a cat.

1 Like

I didn’t notice it, but that can be a good sign

Forsaken (2015)
While the plot obviously is not completely original, this (Kiefer and Donald Sutherland) western was a decent watch nevertheless. The thing about this Oater though is that it takes a little while to get going, but if you stick with it there’s some good action and at times pretty violent and decent performances from the Sutherlands. As for the rest of the cast they’re not bad either, especially (Michael Wincott) who IMO steals the film as a hired gun working for the lead villain (Brian Cox) a merciless land-grabber.

1 Like

Looks like one to watch as like the Sutherlands.

Funny, I always liked the older one, but not the younger one. Don’t know exactly why.

Dunno if you going to like this one Ennio, it’s slow and it takes it’s time to get going. But you like the Sutherlands… so yeah, give it go. :grinning:

It can be watched at “Rainierland” for free by doing a title search, just be aware that an account needs to be created first. Use your own discretion!

3.10 TO YUMA (2007, James Mangold)

Oddly enough, I had not yet watched this remake of the classic from 1957.
I didn’t have high expectations (I had loved Mangold’s first movie, Heavy, but disliked most things he had done afterwards), but it turned out to be an enjoyable and good movie. It’s not perfect, the action scenes were a bit dissapointing, but it’s well-scripted and very well acted, not only by the two leads.

Hopefully more later.