The Last Film You Saw in the Cinema?

This is true. But I lived in Australia for a while in the late 70s and early 80s and in one of the little towns I lived in the only cinema was the Drive in so I used to go every week. I loved it and would love to go again one day if I ever get the chance. I saw some cool stuff at the drive in back then.

The sound boxes in those days were pretty awful (little mono speaker that hooked on to your window) so not the best place to see something where you want to experience the big sound effect but apart from that my experiences were all really positive. These days I understand the soundtrack is broadcast on FM and you just tune in from your car radio so the sound will be as good (or bad) as your car stereo system.

This is true. Most of them that still have the soundboxes, donā€™t even make use of them any more.

Never seen a movie at a drive-in

As far as I know we never knew the thing in Holland or Belgium, probably due to the weather

I bought tickets once in Avignon, France. The film was Pink Floyd:The Wall. At the last moment the show was cancelled because of one of the worst thunderstorms I ever witnessed. Later, when I was in Munich, I spotted a drive-in on a map of the city. I went to the place to see if there were any showings on the program, but somebody told me they closed down the place a few months earlier. He also told me not to worry, there were numerous brand new multiplex cinemas in town. I guessed that already.

Iā€™ll possibly have to move to Australia too

Yes they are. The one I went to used the car radio thing and the quality was actually quite goo. A bit like your average TV.

Drive-ins are good fun, when i was a teen we used to go regularly. Unfortunately all the nearby ones closed down close to 20 years ago. Still a few around if you are up for a slight road trip.

Anyone seen Whatever Works yet? As funny as the usual Larry David?

Iā€™ve never been to a drive-inā€¦ probably because itā€™s too romantic :smiley:

There is a place here where you can rent a small movie theater to screen your chosen movies for a special occasion. That includes the lounge/bar/reception area outside the theater. Pretty stylish. The seats are made of red- cushioned recliners. Great sound. It fits like a dozen people.

Surrogates, which was nice.

Up in 3D, touching in parts, charming film, with some good animation, but would have been as good without the 3D.

I saw zombieland a couple weeks ago. Okay film but not as good as everyone is making it out to be.

yea I have wanted to hit one near my friendā€™s place.

depending on who you are with in the car the fun may just be beginning :wink:

There is only one movie I would refer to Zombieland and that is Dawn of the Dead by George Romero.

We went to see Where The Wild Things Are last night. My wife was worn out and saw about 5 minutes of the movie. It was free so we didnā€™t waste money for her. It was a very well made movie. Definitely not a fairy tale for little children. The F/X for the Wild Things was first rate and a really solid little movie. Highly recommended.

I saw it in 2D and was a bit worried that as it was released in 3D, that things would be thrown at the screen a lot. Thank goodness Pixar resisted!

I saw Shane Ackerā€™s 9 last Saturday. Very, very well down with excellent designs and script, boosted by top voice talent (Christopher Plummer, Martin Landau, Elijah Wood, etc. etc.). I have only two complaints with it: 1) is that the begining and end are exactly the same as the Acadamy award short, directed by the same man and 2) the corny content of some of the dialogue, otherwise, a brilliant animation. 4/5.

This Sunday Iā€™m going to be seeing three Hitchcock fims (The Lodger, The Ring and Sabotage) on the big screen, with introductions. Iā€™m hugely looking foreward to it. From four PM to nine PM, what more could you ask for?

Color me jealous, iā€™m quite fond of THE LODGER and SABOTAGE, i donā€™t think iā€™ve ever seen THE RING (havenā€™t seen that many silents, still too many talkies to catch up with). My wife and i actually just started working our way through Hitchcockā€™s works again, starting with his first talkie, BLACKMAIL (which i actually liked more than i remembered). Weā€™re up to RICH AND STRANGE this week.

Ah, Itā€™s good to see someone else likes Hitchcockā€™s British films as well!

Das weiƟe Band by Michael Haneke

Prosaic b/w film about a protestant hell in 1913 which gets shocked by a series of hard to explain incidents.

Saw Tarantinoā€™s Basterds again at the cheapie 2nd run theatreā€¦ Felt overly-long and somewhat lackluster the second time 'round. Still enjoyable though.

Anyone know when it will come to DVD?

I would imagin it would come out sometime next year. Maybe Easter (do you celebrate that in America)?

In Sweden we do and propably in America too.