The Last Film You Saw in the Cinema?

[quote=“Frank Talby, post:40, topic:2027”]I agree about the price - thankfully the local cable company has a program that gives 2 free tickets every Tuesday and discounted rates for other days. Without this I would not be going to the movies as often. I did pay regular rate to see Inglourious Basterds two weekends ago and that was fine with me.

and in regards to annoying teenagers (are all of us getting old and cranky? :D) I have told them to shut up on occasion. I have no issue dealing with rowdy punks.[/quote]

Where I live monday is ‘discount day’, but the problem is that on monday only the blockbusters are programmed. Tuesday is special films day with programming of third world movies, classic movies, occasionally a western - but at regular rate, and those films are programmed late at night, at 22h15.

I don’t go to cineplex cinemas, cause round here only scum goes there. So I can avoid negative encounters of that kind by avoiding those plixplex temples.

I like going to the cinema because it still is better than any kind of home movie entertainment.

I also don’t share the pessimistic view on today’s movie culture. Of course there is much crap to be seen, but hello?! Movie crap has been produced ever since the birth of moving pictures. The often praised 60s and 70s were a time of great flicks but also the origin of a huge pile of shit.

[quote=“I…I…Idiot, post:33, topic:2027”]sarcasm!
I love how these events happened before A New Hope but the technology got better the further back in time they went. I think George Lucas did not know when to say when with the special effects in the prequels because for me, the effects actually take away from my viewing enjoyment sometimes as opposed to adding to it.[/quote]
I think that the technology got better the further back in time was quite fitting, actually. As the films go on, the Dark Side of the Force gets stronger so the whole Universe is going into a sort of Dark age.

[quote=“Stanton, post:29, topic:2027”]You are all very pessimistic about modern cinema. What a pity!
I think modern cinema is great, and especially the last 2 years were fantastic, and generally said cinema has made a great progress in visual and narrative terms since the last 15 years. This phase (and it’s still going on) is as exciting and unpredictable as it was in the 60s and 70s. Modern cinema has of course the downside that it makes older films look really old as everything is so fast progressing.[/quote]
How easy it is (thank goodness) to foreget “Transformers 2: Rise of the Fallen”…

In England, in general, cinema-goers are much more behaved so I don’t have to suffer seats smelling of i[/i].

This kids 'round here just get worse if you say anything…

Same near me. When they are shouting abuse I just look the other way and ignore them, and then they seem to get annoyed ;D .

thinking about seeing Park Chan-wook’s “Thirst” at the local independent theatre in a couple weeks… but again, could just see it on DVD for a fraction of the price…

If you go for the dvd you can get some beers aswell :smiley: .

I think you make a very convincing case there…

Around here, they still actually have Drive-ins. I keep meaning to take the family there. Maybe next summer.

I’ve been to one drive-in in my whole life. The weather in England isn’t really suited to a drive-in… :cry:

That would be great, a classic 70’s drive in cinema with classic 70’s drive in films! Wish they had that in Stockholm!

The cult dvd company ‘Klubb Super 8’ sometimes show movies in Stockholm

[url]http://klubbsuper8.com/[/url]

Wonderfull!

I remember hearing the name somewhere. I wish I had been at the premiere of Inglorios Bastards, then I would have seen both Christina Lindberg and QT!

Klubb Super 8 is cool

They specialize in releasing swedish sexploitation movies from the 60s and 70s

In the late 90s they released a lot of movies on vhs, but lately they of course switched to dvd instead

Swedish sexploitation is a fun genre btw :smiley:

There is a lot of fun Swedish explotation cinema :D.

God the last film i saw at the cinema was Jackass :-[ That was what, 2002? Used to go every Friday with a friend but whereas he would go and watch anything, i generally only remotely enjoyed about 1/10 films we saw. And i agree about the sound systems…even the tv being on too loud hurts my ears at the cinema the dialogue often sounds unintelligible to me. Don’t miss going at all…

And the film I went to see was “Grease”. A movie I would rather not remember seeing.

You should go before they close down! :wink:

There’s a few within driving distance around here, but they are not the cool ones unfortunately. Back in my hometown of Kansas City, there’s a really nice one called The Twin, and its like a flashback to when the Drive In was king… its awesome. Plan on making at least one trip out there next year when it warms up again. They have two screens and play 2 movies each and then show the first again, so you can watch both on one screen and then see a third on the other

I love going to the drive in… just wish there were more quality ones around

The only downside with drive-ins (something you wouldn’t have trouble with in America) is the weather. If it starts to pour down… Well, it’s no fun, I can tell you.