The Last Film You Saw in the Cinema?

Its just hard to justify spending $30 on a cinema outing, when the movie will probably suck and in addition to the stuff mentioned above… ($30 = I always pay for tickets for me and my girl, $8-9 a ticket plus some snacks/drink) That’s $30 I could spend on DVDs that I really want…

If there’s a film I really want to see, then I’ll go… but doesn’t happen very often these days as its mostly rubbish

I liked all the Star Wars prequels. :o And this is coming from someone who saw the original trilogy in the cinema as a child. Most people that were around for the originals don’t seem to be keen on the recent ones.
Phantom Menace was the one I liked least, but I do like it. My favourite thing about it is that they lay down the political background.
Attack Of The Clones was better as it resembled the original trilogy more than Phantom Menace & it had quite a lot of action.
Revenge Of The Sith is easily the best, and as I said earlier, I prefer it to Return Of The Jedi. I thought it was quite similar to Empire Strikes Back in mood - it was a pretty dark film. I think it’s excellent & the first glimpse of Vader is a great moment.

[quote=“autephex, post:21, topic:2027”]Its just hard to justify spending $30 on a cinema outing, when the movie will probably suck and in addition to the stuff mentioned above… ($30 = I always pay for tickets for me and my girl, $8-9 a ticket plus some snacks/drink) That’s $30 I could spend on DVDs that I really want…

If there’s a film I really want to see, then I’ll go… but doesn’t happen very often these days as its mostly rubbish[/quote]

My sentiments exactly. I want to start going to smaller cinemas that show classic stuff, but some of them are quite expensive… at least I’ll be able to see something I like though.
I still haven’t seen a spaghetti or giallo on the big screen as they always seem to be showing them when I’m skint… mind you, I’m often skint as I spend too much damned money on DVDs… :stuck_out_tongue:

Same here liked that one. Those animated movies are getting better and better … :slight_smile:

[quote=“Ming, post:23, topic:2027”]My sentiments exactly. I want to start going to smaller cinemas that show classic stuff, but some of them are quite expensive… at least I’ll be able to see something I like though.
I still haven’t seen a spaghetti or giallo on the big screen as they always seem to be showing them when I’m skint… mind you, I’m often skint as I spend too much damned money on DVDs… :P[/quote]

I’m envious of you… the theatres around here that show any older movies refuse to show anything worth seeing. Its always John Hughes films and the like…

I’ve searched for a theatre within hours of driving distance and cannot find one…

I prefer the smaller Art Cinemas. Unfortunately I don’t live near anyone.

In most of the shopping center cinemas they only show blockbusters and mainstream movies. I dislike it when morons are telling loudly their commentaries during screening. Though sometimes those stupid commentaries could be fun either … 8)

I live on the outskirts of London, and there are a handful of these small art cinemas in London that show some good stuff occasionally. But thay can be quite expensive, and most of them are on the other side of London to where I am. I will sort it out one day & get off my behind and go.
I’d love to see some Argento in a cinema. The only spaghettis that seem to get shown are the Leone ones - which, I suppose would be the most spectacular on the big screen - but it’s a shame they don’t try a bit more variation.

[quote=“Ming, post:22, topic:2027”]I liked all the Star Wars prequels. :o And this is coming from someone who saw the original trilogy in the cinema as a child. Most people that were around for the originals don’t seem to be keen on the recent ones.
Phantom Menace was the one I liked least, but I do like it. My favourite thing about it is that they lay down the political background.
Attack Of The Clones was better as it resembled the original trilogy more than Phantom Menace & it had quite a lot of action.
Revenge Of The Sith is easily the best, and as I said earlier, I prefer it to Return Of The Jedi. I thought it was quite similar to Empire Strikes Back in mood - it was a pretty dark film. I think it’s excellent & the first glimpse of Vader is a great moment.[/quote]
I agree with you completely. The prequels just got better.

They seem to be the only genre of films that are…

You are all very pessimistic about modern cinema. What a pity!

I usually watch one film every week in a cinema and I can’t say that I ever had really problems with idiots destroying the fun by doing all these things described above. But of course it can happen.
But the one thing that is true is that cinema is really too pricey meanwhile. Especially the Cineplex films are much too expensive imo with meanwhile 7 to 8 €.

I think modern cinema is great, and especially the last 2 years were fantastic, and generally said cinema has made a great progress in visual and narrative terms since the last 15 years. This phase (and it’s still going on) is as exciting and unpredictable as it was in the 60s and 70s. Modern cinema has of course the downside that it makes older films look really old as everything is so fast progressing.

I don’t know, except for the ticket prizes cinema is mostly a great experience (You only have to learn to avoid the bad ones). And mostly a great adventure.

I’m keeping my mouth shut! :wink: :-X

Cloudy With The Chance Of Meatballs in 3d with my son. it was very good.

There has been some good films, I guess my statements are more relevant to where I live… Because here, the theatres do not pay any attention to the good films, but only the blockbusters.

There are 16 screen Cineplex theatres and they will fill 15 all with blockbusters playing on multiple screens, and maybe run one interesting film for only a week.

It makes it very hard to see anything worthwhile here. The Indie theatre plays mostly cliche indie dramas I’m not interested in, and they don’t even show them until the DVD is already out and in a very small screening room

Yeah, me too
sarcasm!
I love how these events happened before A New Hope but the technology got better the further back in time they went. I think George Lucas did not know when to say when with the special effects in the prequels because for me, the effects actually take away from my viewing enjoyment sometimes as opposed to adding to it.

[quote=“Stanton, post:29, topic:2027”]You are all very pessimistic about modern cinema. What a pity!

I usually watch one film every week in a cinema and I can’t say that I ever had really problems with idiots destroying the fun by doing all these things described above. But of course it can happen.[/quote]

Try watching a film in some US theater’s. Yes it can.

[quote=“I…I…Idiot, post:33, topic:2027”]Yeah, me too
sarcasm![/quote]

JW & I are definitely in a minority when it comes to this, for sure.
But hey, I’ve always been in a minority of one sort or another. :slight_smile:

Inglourious Basterds (twice). The 2nd time there was only 4 other people in the cinema when it ended (two people left during it).

Wish I could have said the same.

I used to go to cinemas very often, but i’ve given up the habit for several reasons:

1. Multiplex cinemas that only program blockbusters
  2. The sound usually is far too loud - I have hearing problems, so you’d say loudness is not a problem for me, but it is: above a certain level, sounds become an indistinctive imbroglio of noises which really give me a headache
  3. Cinemas are mainly populated by groups of younger people who eat crisps, pop corn or chocolate and drink coke or worse, while commenting the movie at a high voice
  4. It has become too expensive

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:37, topic:2027”]I used to go to cinemas very often, but i’ve given up the habit for several reasons:

1. Multiplex cinemas that only program blockbusters
  2. The sound usually is far too loud - I have hearing problems, so you’d say loudness is not a problem for me, but it is: above a certain level, sounds become an indistinctive imbroglio of noises which really give me a headache
  3. Cinemas are mainly populated by groups of younger people who eat crisps, pop corn or chocolate and drink coke or worse, while commenting the movie at a high voice
  4. It has become too expensive[/quote]

Ditto for me unfortunately.(except without the hearing problems)
I am genuinely saddened by this as I have always loved the cinema. Obviously I love films (I wouldn’t be here otherwise) but I also get a real kick out of cinemas and theatres as places. Unfortunately most cinemas have now been closed and replaced by soulless multiplexes which cater for the lowest common denominator and are usually just plain uninteresting as well as unpleasant places to visit.
As a young man I used to go to the cinema twice a week. Once in the city centre and once locally. In those days it was still a cheap form of entertainment so if I was ever stumped for something to see which looked good I could take a chance on something else without too much financial investment. These days I watch a film almost every day but go to the cinema maybe twice a year. And I miss it.

Where the Wild Things Are…very beautifully made film by Spike Jonze… my 4 year old son enjoyed most of it too…especially the dirt clod war

I agree about the price - thankfully the local cable company has a program that gives 2 free tickets every Tuesday and discounted rates for other days. Without this I would not be going to the movies as often. I did pay regular rate to see Inglourious Basterds two weekends ago and that was fine with me.

and in regards to annoying teenagers (are all of us getting old and cranky? :D) I have told them to shut up on occasion. I have no issue dealing with rowdy punks.