The Hateful Eight (Quentin Tarantino, 2015)

Congratulations him! The speech he did was very heartfelt.

I’ve said this before, but… the award felt more like an apology than an award. It was like the Academy was saying, “We’re sorry we took your Spaghetti Western music for granted”.

Well in the end it is a ballot system, so this is never a purely objective or “fair” kind of award just the members of one particular industry association doling out awards to a few who made the nomination threshold …

He was overdue for recognition. I didn’t watch the ceremony I have better things to do like watching paint dry. Anyway congrats to the Maestro on his long overdue award.

1 Like

It’s a shame because back then, even the most well-crafted Spaghetti Westerns were considered B-Movies. More as entertainment than art.

Nice to see he finally got what he has long deserved.

Yes well done to Ennio Morricone. It’s not the best score he’s produced but still thoroughly deserved. The academy has probably also given him the nod with it also being a sort of tribute to his lifetime achievements.

1 Like

Yes well done indeed !

Overview: Upcoming BluRay/DVD releases of THE HATEFUL EIGHT for pre-order!

Exactly my point. He’s written better scores which the Academy had taken for granted.

1 Like

Thought Morricone was going to win an Oscar in the 80’s for The Mission…well he should have done :smile:

But he already won Honorary Academy Award in 2007, maybe they thought at the time the old geezer wouldn’t be around for much longer. :smiley:

Yes think this is more likely :smile:

That and “Malena” in 2000.

Or, maybe The Academy thought that the score for The Hateful Eight was the best of the nominated scores this year?

There is that of course, but I am not of that view.

:smile: Good point. And that does seem to have been the case this year.

However, the tacit implication in such a comment is that this whole Oscar thing is a merit based award system with the top honors going to the most deserving people (give or take a little subjectivity). And we all know how very far that is from the truth…

Could well be the case. BAFTA seemed to do a similar thing with Christopher Lee.

I think it was the best of the nominees, but feel that he has produced better work.

1 Like

Watched it today. Very forced, boring and VERY long for its storyline, some parts were truly agonizing to sit through. This movie should have been at least 90 minutes shorter. The amount of dialogue drives you insane. I didn’t like Django Unchained, this one here is even worse though. The only good thing about it is that I discovered that awesome australian folk song Jennifer Leigh sings at some point.

2 Likes

Hateful eight was incredible! Another masterpiece from the best modern director there is. I saw it twice in 70mm and twice theatrically. Own two different copies of the soundtrack on vinyl as well