The Hateful Eight (Quentin Tarantino, 2015)

HATEFUL EIGHT in 70MM was the best film ive ever seen in a theater. I saw it on Christmas day. The showing was sold out and I drove over fifty miles since my local theater weren’t showing it in 70MM. The score was haunting and spot on and Channing Tatum looked like a 1960’s actor, similiar to George Hilton, Franco Nero, and Terrence Hill, The film reminds me of something you would see on an episode of The Virginian.(TV series), something you might see on an episode of deadwood (mainly because of its ultra filthy language, and deranged vilian’s) and somthing you would see in a blaxpotation film. (Coffy, Foxy Brown, Across 110th, ) So, blending these ideas together really proves Taratino is a genius, weather or not you like him or the film. I loved it ( and him) and I think Hateful eight is a perfect film for 2015 (the year is was made for).

1 Like

I’m coming in late on this conversation. I saw it back in January, but not in 70mm. I would have liked to but it wasn’t screened that way anywhere near where I live. There’s a lot of interesting symbolism, shots, scenes, music included. It’s like the ultimate post-modern western. It’s more about our present day culture’s debates about racism and agendas than it is a classic western. My big problem was, as others have notes, was way too much dialogue exposition. I would have liked to be more visual in its statements. Like Leone’s films, which deal with similar themes in a visual fashion. Not much dialogue in his films, they’re long and detailed but never drag. The dialogue free opening of OUATITW is one of the great scenes because it doesn’t need dialogue. My favorite types of films are long on action and short on dialogue, as John Ford once said. That said, I’d like to see it again and in 70mm. And Jennifer Jason Leigh really did deserve to win an Oscar for her performance, which was the best in the film.

2 Likes

Sometimes I think Tarantino is better suited for writing books than making movies.

Absolutely not.
His films are not really talkative but very cinematic. It is more important how the dialogues are spoken then the content of the lines. And how he shoots all this scenes. Before his 2 westerns QT was one of the best filmmakers of today.

But then, surprisingly many praise his 2 westerns too.

1 Like

Oh come on Stanton, he puts a huge emphasis on dialogue. The real question is does he rely on dialogue? Generally speaking, directors who rely on dialogue tend to make bad films because they have missed the point of the cinematic medium. However, that does not mean to say that great dialogue necessarily precludes a great film. “The Sweet Smell of Success” is a perfect example of this; it would be a great film without its dialogue which only makes it even greater.

1 Like

Usually end up with a headache after viewing one of his films as way to much talking in for such long films.

Obviously, but still not really talkative.

Hmm … Sweet smell of success. I only watched it once, and thought it was ok. I was surprised when I learned that it has a status as a classic.

James Wong-Howe’s contribution certainly helped.

FOR THE GERMANS: Nur noch 2 Wochen bis THE HATEFUL EIGHT auf BluRay und DVD kommt. Vorbestellen:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B019QBI62M/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1638&creative=19454&creativeASIN=B019QBI62M&linkCode=as2&tag=thequentintar-21

Nice point, I went back back and rewatched Shoot the Living… Pray for the Dead and noticed that the hateful eight does take more inspiration from it then I previously thought. I haven’t seen Cut Throats-Nine, but it is on its way from Amazon.

I recently saw the new western , The Hateful Eight, on Netflix, and it is truly Quenten Tarantino to his logical extreme (Let’s just say the man clearly has issues!) The cast is outstanding, including Curt Russell and Samuel Jackson as well as Bruce Dern. It is very well written and superbly acted. Resisting the temptation for a spoiler, I will simply sat that nothing is as it seems. I will give fair warning that it has the typical Tarantino graphic effects and a real twist ending. It was a very depressing ending, too. It is well worth watching, but I, for one, will not watch it again.

A western set in the snow, where the characters dress like hippies and features a Morricone score. I wonder where he got this idea…

2 Likes

I was surprised how much this was like Cut Throat’s Nine, feels like the films biggest inspiration, imo… even that shot of someone getting their leg cut off from the shackles looked like the same shot

I didn’t think it was as good as TGS or ‘Shoot the Living…’ two others it’s definitely based on, but I thought it was a vast improvement over that one.

Always late to the party, but someone must have noticed the Return of Ringo reference at “No dogs or Mexicans allowed.”

2 Likes

Just to place the link

https://wiki.tarantino.info/index.php/The_Hateful_Eight

You also find some movie references guide there and all that…