The Hateful Eight (Quentin Tarantino, 2015)

I would have preferred it being someone else than Tarantino himself too.

At first I thought that the voice over was a bad decision and unnecessary for the film but I saw it without breaks. I think film this long is shown with an intermission in many places and considering it this way makes sense.

Classic Tarantino plagiarizing. A bit on the narration on the flashback scene where he tells of the owner of place, Tarantino came out and said he just got around to watching Wes Anderson movies so to me that scene is pure Anderson that Tarantino raped. Now i know we have a site dedicated to iconoclast directors, Anderson included but other directors like Leone and aforementioned did it with class and a purpose. Morricones weakest score ever. Theres so much more i can dissect but ive been through this with Tarantino too many times before. Hes done nothing of value since Pulp and hes never matched the real grittyness of Dogs, hes fucking tex avery and Kinji Fukusaku(thats sounds kinda cool actually). Either way hes shite. IMO of course.

1 Like

shoulda uploaded that instead Bill, you know , so you wouldnt have to quote Taylor Swift and look like …well , a taylor swift fan. To each his own…I guess?

Eh, didn’t understand a word. Taylor who?

OK back on topic guys :wink:

I guess we can all agree on the fact that Mr Tarantino tends to split audiences, and we can also agree that if we apply certain definitions of plagiarism to the realm of art and culture, we’d have none of it.

If we allow ourselves to always agree to disagree, nothing progresses. Tarantino’s homagiarism(new word) is a cancer, we’ll just have Tarantino copycats thinking theyre paying tribute to the works of him, when really theyre just inadvertently learning how not to be creative. Hes doing things that Godard has always been doing, but of course if you ask his big head he’ll tell you hes surpassed Godard lol Our greatest living director ,Scorsese (a true iconoclast and master of homage) has never given QT props, yet a peer of QTs , Wes Anderson is always being championed by Scorsese. One last thing, even Morricone hates the man lol and has said he doesnt know shit about moviemaking.

If I have to be the Fernando Sancho or Eduardo Fajardo or Luigi Pistilli of this forum then Im your huckleberry.

All in good debate amigos!

You need to read some of the interviews where he explains how things got misquoted and ripped out of context…

Scorsese is just as influenced by other movies as Tarantino is. You gotta leave it to a filmmaker to make the films they wanna make. Nobody forces you to like them, and Tarantino will always make the movies Tarantino wants to make. It is basically just a coincidence that his earlier movies kind of “met the spirit of the decade” and had such an impact. He always made hommages, from the very second he first switched on a camera. Those who dont appreciate that, just dont watch his flix :slight_smile: Totally fair, I am not saying everybody needs to love the man. Quite the opposite, as posted earlier, I do believe his movies split audiences… would be a shame if he made movies everyone likes… that would be mainstream :wink:

1 Like

In fact Tarantino is far from copying other films, only a few directors are as original and creative as he is, and only a few have changed the face of cinema as much as he did.

Yes, he clearly takes inspirations from older films (but who does not?), but his films are always remarkably different form his inspirations.

Seeing him only as a copycat is the oddest of all criticisms of his work.

But it is fascinating how much people want to hate him instead of simply ignoring him when they don’t like his films.

2 Likes

That is true, but I guess it is caused by the praise - often verging on worship - he receives from others, resulting in series and series of articles about everything he’s doing. I don’t dislike Tarantino, I even rate some of his work (notably Kill Bill) rather high, but I confess that this worshipping irritates me as well from time to time. Some critics or people who are otherwise writing about film makers, obviously find it difficult to keep a certain distance to the subject (be it man or work)

I know nobody who worships him, but lot of people who are always eager to bash him. But he has quite a name, and is maybe at present the only director who might sell with his name his films, at least partly.

I think people who really worship directors are pretty rare. I like a lot directors, but only as much as I like their films.

I still haven’t watched Hateful 8, and I’m curious if it is better as Django Unchained, which was a good one, but less good than all of QT’s predecessors.
Even a bit disappointing compared to my expectations.

Much better than Django Unchained in my opinion. I’d say it’s his best since Jackie Brown based on my first view. Time will tell if I’ll like it more or less with more views, there’s this mystery aspect that appealed to me.

I said that the praise often ‘verges on’ worship, meaning that it comes close, reminds me of worshipping; it’s of course not ‘worship’ in a religious sense. In relation to Tarantino, the praise or worship is of course related to the man’s work, not his person or ideology (in the case of John Wayne, for example, this is quite different: many of his fans worship him more for what he stood for, or the image he created than for his thespian talents). Some of the discussions on Tarantino’s work, are caused by different appreciation people have for postmodern cinema: some people simply can’t stand postmodern art (they describe it as ‘parasitical’) and therefore reject Tarantino’s work.

By the way: Funny that you notice the bashing and not the worshipping.

Met people at film memorabilia fairs who our obsessed with the director and his films, and just do not like it when you criticise the director.

Yes, ha ha, but worshipping seems to be the wrong term.

And if I spot some kind of religious “fanaticism”, then I spot this by those who attack him. It also seems often more himself than his films. And most of the attacks on him or his films I sense as pretty odd, because they mostly attack for things which are his films obviously not. Very obviously imo.
But there are of course also reasonable objections in the disputes of his work.

It’s kinda different than negative comments on other directors I like.

He def draws debates and thats what I love. I dont hate his movies , I just feel they are overrated to the extreme. He really dissapointed me starting with Basterds, because that was the film where I felt as a fan of his for a long time, he was supposed to mature, his writing def has but his mise en scene has become fluffy and cartoony and his characters dont carry that weight of a human like his older films (first 3 lol and some of kill bill) IMO. I cant even get started on Unchained(doent deserve the name Django in front) someone shoulda kept that mofukka chained.

For me his directing has matured in Kill Bill, Death Proof and in Basterds.

Fair enough. I personally like Django Unchained better, but each to their own.

To standing ovations, ENNIO MORRICONE won big last night with the OSCAR FOR BEST ORIGINAL SCORE: The Hateful Eight

1 Like