The Guess a Movie Screenshot Thread

Probably near Rome … most of Europe’s woodland areas look like this in Autumn or winter - so as a location, quite boring for the Euro viewer (this one at least)

Wrong aspect ratio to be ‘Today We Kill’ … also, that one has no desert locations.

Wild guess from me … ‘California’ ?

1 Like

Shango has some wooded area scenes too I think?

It’s not Today We Kill, Tomorrow We Die, California, or Shango.

Thanks, Aldo. I have always wondered where they filmed these wooded shots because they use them so sparingly probably for the reason you specify.

Same sequence as above screenshot but this may be more memorable.

It’s more to do with budget, or lack of. None of the real cheapo directors got to go to Almeria, and as SWs at their peak in popularity were churned out 2 per week, producers got lazy and tight fisted. If they can make the same money on a smaller budget film, then why bother to spend more.

Much as we fans appreciate the films for their quirkiness or eccentricity, 50 years ago they were just product, rather than art.

Wintery woodlands maybe acceptable locations in traditional US westerns, but when we start seeing Mediterranean faces, posing as Mexican bandits in these locales, for me it lowers the production value and breaks the spell.

PS: Still can’t figure which movie this is :grinning:

1 Like

I thought almost all SWs had scenes shot in Almeria because that’s where the western town sets are. What are some that weren’t?

Sometimes the creativity is heightened by the budget and time restrictions. For example, multiple camera position setups take time set up so they find clever ways to capture a lot of information from just one continuous shot. I see it over and over again where they pan the camera, land on on actor, another actor walks into the frame, they start walking into a different background as the camera tracks them, or whatever… instead of cutting to different camera angles. In the same vein, they also wield cameras angles and zooms like master pistoleros where they zoom in perfectly on to extreme close up then quickly zoom out and speed-pan the camera and land precisely on another person. They had to master creative techniques that they wouldn’t have had to without restrictions.

I just showed stills from one sequence because it is a decent resolution 5 minute clip on YT. When I show other stills the quality will drop because the whole movie version on YT is very low quality. The movie has a popular SW name in the title, or at least the title that that I’m aware of.

1 Like

In Rome there were several western towns built as semi permanent sets, Elios Studios being the most widely known (Tuco’s first hanging takes place here)

The non Almeria films … almost too numerous to list. All the official Sartanas except for ‘Light the Fuse …’
The Trinity films, Most of the Anthony Steffen films, and Robert Woods movies - Robert never went further south than La Calahorra, which is where the train did stop at Tucumcari for Colonel Mortimer. There are just too many to re-call :thinking:

Almeria was essentially used because of it’s desert locations, and didn’t have any film sets until 1965 when ‘El Paso’ was purpose built for ‘For a Few Dollars More’

Many others were made around Madrid and even further North, near Barcelona. But Almeria is the best known, for it’s iconic landscapes.

IMDB, sometimes includes locations in their listings section … but not all are accurate.

1 Like

Thanks for the information. It will make me scrutinize these movies very differently. Do you know where the abandoned ghost town in Cemetery Without Crosses was filmed along with its other western town? Wikipedia says it was filmed in Almeria so I’m assuming one of the 2 western towns was filmed there? It seems to be a rare French western.

The ghost town was built on those famous sand dunes, explored by Tuco & Blondie in GBU on the Almeria coast - the dunes (and town) are no longer there, having been depleted by property developers who used the sand for construction. (One well known commentator suggested that the sand for the desert in GBU had been specially imported for those scenes - the area is massive, so that’s just another piece of BS that gets circulated around the web)

The town that Robert Hossein goes to, to find his brother’s killers is now a tourist attraction and some times film studio, named Fort Bravo , it was supposedly built by Spanish investors for use in GBU, but there was an argument over the price to lease the town and Leone refused to pay, so the ‘El Paso’ set was reused for Tuco’s 2nd hanging as Valverde, then as Santa Anna for Maria’s (Fresh young whore in the territory) scene. Thirdly when Tuco has walked 70miles back to town !!! … and robs the gunsmith and then again when he finally catches up with Blondie at the hotel. “Hooray, hooray for Dixie!”

Fort Bravo, or Texas Hollywood as it was previously known, must have reduced their rates … because the first film made there was ‘Death Rides a Horse’ 1967.

1 Like

Thanks, Aldo. That fills in a lot of missing pieces. I think a little bit like a producer when watching these, trying to figure out logistically how they put so many films together so cheaply and quickly.

I don’t know if this is clear enough to determine who it is, but one of the stars is in this screencap is the guy that’s closest to the cactus.

Probably not, but perhaps No Room To Die?

2 Likes

I had to look it up because I know it as Noose for Django, but yes, No Room To Die is correct. Great job, Mickey!

2 Likes

Not filmed in Almeria ! :rofl:

1 Like

Here is an example what I meant by “standard west coast desert shot look as well”(as well as the autumn woods).

1 Like

OK, here we go:

The Emerald Forest?

Nope.

C’mon guys, it’s pretty easy.

Easy for you to say! :grinning:

judging by the image clarity, it looks fairly recent … other than that, I’m clueless.

‘Mosquito Coast’ … as a wild guess.

1 Like

I wanted to stimulate somebody to guess finally. I know you know it.

See, it worked! A good wild guess. Up to ya, you devil.

1 Like

That’s a surprise … and released only 32 years ago - that is recent by my standards :grinning:

Ok … how about this one.