The Great Silence / Il grande silenzio (Sergio Corbucci, 1968)

thanks for the info.

ā€¦plus you get a nude scene with vonetta mcgee ;D

i was hoping for a nude picture :slight_smile:

umā€¦i dont like the look in this dudes eye

[attachment older than 600 days, deleted by admin]

Just watched it last night. The setting is brilliant. I especially like the score, because it is, well, kind of sad and really good. Cast is also great, but the technical problems of the movie or the print are really quite bad, and i normally dont care much about the picture quality.
One thing came to my mind in the love scene with Silence. Could it be that Rodriguez took that as an influence for the love scene in Desperado, Banderas has also a gunwound on the shoulder and she takes care of him. Just reminded me of the scene.

Is there any other movie with a good/evil constellation, where the evil side wins?
I canā€™t remember one.

Well, I can think of two, Cemetery Without Crosses is downhill all the way and, an American Western, McCabe & Mrs. Miller has a downer ending also.

No, No, No, thatā€™s not the same. There are many, many films ending with the hero dead (even John Wayne or Errol Flynn), some films with a downbeat ending, but no other movie with a complete triumph of the baddies.

There are surely some Horror films, where the evil forces triumphs over the good side, but is there another action/adventure film?

Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia

Hombre has a pretty bleak ending

No, No, in Hombre the antagonists of Newman donā€™t win, they are also dead.
Alfredo Garcia has no good/bad constellation. Oates plays a broken character, a loser.

I mean, the point is that Kinski wins, that he gets the money and that all the nice people are dead, everyone.
When the hero dies there is always a reason to justify his death. For example he sacrifices himself for the community or the future or something else, but he wins by sacrificing himself.

In Violent Rome Maurizio Merli gets gunned down at the end.

In ā€œThe Hunting Partyā€ everybody dies also.

Everybody dead isnā€™t the same as the victory of the bad guys.
In The Hunting Party Oliver Reed plays an outlaw, and outlaws dying at the end, even if they are the protagonists, is a genre convention, like in the Jesse James films and many, many more.

I donā€™t know Violent Rome, but it sounds like a Mafia picture. In these and in many political thrillers it is common usage to have an end where the protagonists fail to destroy the criminal and/or political structure, due to social reality. Part of the message and no surprise.

In Cemetery without Crosses is the tragic end also no great surprise. Manuel and Maria have become guilty by their passivity during the raping of the girl. (By the way, a brillant scene in the uncut version, a bit ruined in the german version by cutting and altering the soundtrack.)

Once again: a genre movie with a good versus bad constellation, with the bad guy succeeding.

Well in the wild bunch, the good guys die, but they sacrifice themself and kill the bad guys too. The ā€œgoodā€ guys are a symbol for the old west dying. They also get back to the place of the bad guys for idealistic reasons.
That is the same for Silence that also goes to the baddies only for idealistic reasons.
Maybe the wild bunch is close, but great silence is of course very drastic.

If you ask me, thereā€™s no any good guys in Wild Bunch. Just a bunch of killers and sons of bitches.

1 Like

Well Silence isnt the white knight in the shiny armor either. He does it for the money and kills everybody who draws first. The bunch are no saints, but they find their ideals in fighting for the people of the village. Who isnĀ“t a son of a bitch in the westerns, especially in the spaghettis ;D

ahhhh Spoiler Warning please

[quote=ā€œMusket, post:59, topic:122ā€]ahhhh Spoiler Warning please[/quote] sorry is there a possibility to do that in this forum? But anyway, i think we discuss about the movies in these threads, so they are obviously full of spoilers. If you donĀ“t want that, i guess you have to avoid these topics. Correct me if iĀ“m wrong.