The Great Silence / Il grande silenzio (Sergio Corbucci, 1968)

If you Like TGS do this little exercise, watch TGS, then McCabe & Mrs. Miller, then Joe Kid, then Keoma they all have borrowed ftom TGSā€¦

It is indeed a great western.
Have you ever read the comic ā€œDurangoā€? It is a European Spagehetti western comic and the first part owns much to the film.

Everything fits together, the snowy surroundings, Frank Wolff as the sheriff, Trintignant as the mute hero and Kinski in his best role as Loco (Tigero). The atmosphere with all the clothing and rags are fine details. For me it is one of the best SWā€™s ever made.

A truly great film, but I hope the focus puller never got to do any more films after this oneā€¦the only thing I can think about in terms of criticism concerning TGSā€¦

Absolutely fantastic Spaghetti western from Corbucci. Klaus Kinski gives one of his best performances(even though heā€™s dubbed). I wonder if he thought this was one of the tons of bad movies he admits to doing for the money. Either way he creates a character that is the personification of human evil, which manifests itself at the end of the picture. Totally pessimistic with a convention breaking finale that is both beautiful and incredibly sad. If you end up hating the movie the ending will no doubt have an effect. Even with the clunky dubbing the actors are all fine. Iā€™ve watched it twice and have picked up details I missed. The script is very detailed visually and also in the character development. Morriconeā€™s score is very effective.

This film is great, and the snow gives it a different touch that helps set it apart form the others. The ending was refreshing too.

I really like movies that have no happy endsā€¦ Thatā€™s why I love Great Silence that much :wink:

Simply great !!! One of my all time favs !!! I love this movie including its soundtrack !!!

Iā€™ve read all sorts of complaints about the dubbing, and thatā€™s what has made me hesitate on buying the Fantoma R1 release. How bad is it exactly and does it take much away from the film?

The only problem I have with the dub is the gunshots. In the scene where an outlaw tries to turn himself in, there is lots of shouting and the victims mother screaming, and suddenly he falls down dead! Only on a second viewing could I distinguish the gunshots that killed him. Apart from that, the Fantoma release is well worth buying.

Cool, I think Iā€™ll take a chance on it the next time Deep Discount DVD has a 20% off sale.

So, youā€™d say the talk about Klaus Kinskiā€™s voice actor doing a disservice to his performance is unwarranted? Maybe all the complaints Iā€™ve read have been in reference to the synching of the dub and the actorsā€™ lip movements.

Iā€™m just afraid itā€™ll be as bad as the job found in ā€˜Djangoā€™. Good lord, the actor responsible for Neroā€™s voice on the english track ruins that whole version of the audio.

you should put these images onto the wiki :wink:

but iā€™m all done with my exams and all that and i will do more the next weeks, although i am moving.

I know but I think itā€™s nice to publish them here too, and it might not be allowed to just nick them for our wiki?

I love Morriconeā€™s score for The Great Silence. And the acting is quite good.

I also appreciate the depth of this very political film. It gives the viewer a lot to think about.

Sadly, the experience is diluted by some of the unacceptable technical and continuity problems. The moire effect of the cheesecloth filter is imfamous. I guess there wasnā€™t any money for Corrbucci to reshot those scenes. And the lighting is very inept in some of the scenes.

Continuity is problematic as there are places when it goes from footage that was clearly shot at different times of the day.

And the there is one major breach of the internal logic of the film: Frank Wolff (the sheriff) canā€™t use he gun when he first meets up with the Mormons because it has frozen. Later in the movie Loco (Kinski) pulls out a gun which had been left buried in the snow for days and it works fine. Clearly one wouldnā€™t watch an SW expecting reality - thatā€™s the opposite of what the whole genre is about. But the internal logic should be consistent, especially with those two important scenes.

Still, these are small matters overall. Powerful movie with the only appropriate ending; an ending that shows guts on behalf of the filmmaker.

Remember that when Loco pulls out the gun from snow he first unwraps it from some furs. I donā€™t know if that would really stop the gun from freezing but Iā€™ve never thought this scene as a mistake in story.

I do a lot of shooting, often in cold weather. Itā€™s all down to keeping the gun dry. If moisture buildsā€™s up in the mechanism, it can freeze and the ice jam the gun. Youā€™d have to let a lot of moisture get into it though. The only instance I can think of when that would happen would be if the gun was dropped in water, or exposed to heavy rainfall, then exposed to sub zero tempreatures soon afterwards.

Itā€™s more likely that the grease or oil used to lubricate guns in that period might freeze at a higher temp than modern ones. So maybe Wolff unaware of this, oiled his gun, while Klaus, living up in the mountains was aware of the low temps and didnā€™t?

as long as you keep it dry, if you take a gun from a warn environment and take it out side in winter the condesation alone will freeze it up, so that is what they are getting at.

I agree, the thing with the guns is not illogical, but it could perhaps have been explained a little more clearly in the film.

Regarding the end scenes shot at different times of the day, I have feeling this was done on purpose, it was probably meant to be early in the morning/break of dawn.

And it would also have been a little awkward to have Loco and his men ride off in complete darkness.

So The Great Silence is near perfect after all I think, it only has some minor technical faults, they can be overlooked.

Jean-Louis Trintignant is really well cast, he looks sensitive and has an air of melancholy to him, fits this film perfectly!

Morriconeā€™s score and the scenery is stunning!

And such a powerful message about religious persecution leading to mercenaries and massacresā€¦ Corbucciā€™s is still as important as ever today.

Yes, I really, really like the film, Iā€™m just a little sad that either a lack of funds OR a little sloppiness prevents it from being perfect.

The film looks like itā€™s been shot through a gauze a lot of the time (iā€™m not sure how to explain).
is this what you mean by cheesecake filter and what is the intention of it?