The Great Silence / Il grande silenzio (Sergio Corbucci, 1968)

And sorry to again bring this discussion back up, but still aldo’s issues with Cox are a bit different than disliking a modern Hollywood name, as Cox is a regular contributor to modern SW related material - books, commentaries, intros and interviews.

If a public name is getting this much work relating information on some of the most respected SW material, then its certainly a subject which deserves attention and continued discussion. Afterall, this is the SWDB and not the BayDB :smirk:

Apologies to anyone who may have been offended by my recent remarks - On reflection I have to admit that I can get rather carried away, only because I am so passionate about this hobby and the history of our beloved genre.

Time to move on - Peace brothers! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

If it helps your decision it is pressed in funky green and brown vinyl. :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

Aldo

Il mio amore. :heart_eyes:

xxx

1 Like

Yeah I did see that… although it looks like maybe they did 500 pressings of the colored vinyl and 500 on straight black. I really wish they would’ve just done an unlimited or higher number release on normal black though… cause I think I’m tapped out on purchases for now

Incredible score from Morricone though…

Ha, ha yes indeed.

2 Likes

Has anyone seen the second, lesser-known alternate ending with Kinski’s ‘change of heart’ mentioned by the English Wikipedia and included in the Film Movement Blu-ray?

There are different versions of the closing credits, which one is included in the above-mentioned release?

One Damned Day at Dawn…

Yes, it’s badly edited. It cuts from the middle of the duel to Kinski just walking out of the saloon.

2 Likes

I would like to watch this film and add it to my collection, but I can’t find a good region 2 Blu-Ray version. What are the chances of this film to be re-released in the near future?

The German BluRay is very good. Not perfect but very good. The US disc, with slightly better image quality, is confirmed region free

1 Like

The German one doesn’t really interest me and the US one is a bit too expensive for my taste, so I’m probably gonna buy a DVD instead. Which one of the following two would you recommend?

I have the Scandinavian one (Second one you posted) but I didn’t like the quality. I picked up the Fantoma release wich was alot better IMO. You can find that one on Ebay for a reasonable price. It says it’s R1 but plays on my Ps4 anyways…

I have not! Is this online anywhere???

Yes the BluRay will cost a few bucks more than some DVD but you’re also getting the movie in HD… don’t really see why settle for a minor product on purpose? :slight_smile: if u really wanna enjoy this, one of the best ever made, u will feel better investing in a great version I think… maybe u find a used one somewhere?

2 Likes

The extra money for the US blu-ray is worth it. I just wish they’d been able to restore more SW’s as well as they did with this one.

2 Likes

This was included on the DVD I owned. Its referred to as the “happy ending” on the Eureka release.
I cant recall any other special features.

This is cool:

1 Like

First time I watched this some thirty years ago was by pure accident, zapping between TV channels late at night, I hit it right at the beginning, I didn’t know about it, but immediately recognized it for what it was. Last year it was shown by some alternative cinema’s chain in Norway, and I didn’t know until it was too late, and I could have eaten stone. I would go anywhere anytime to watch this film on a big screen.

Where’s Vonetta ? :wink:

I have rewatched Il grande silenzio. I must say it has fallen behind Il mercenario for me (witch I have also rewatched recently, Django is at the top, I have to check Companeros again).

What’s working for me:

• the snow,
  • Kinski,
  • Morricone’s haunting score,
  • romance between Silence and Pauline, their love scene is great, very tender and hot (Morricone was again very serviceable for that one),
  • Frank Wolff and Vonetta McGee, they are the human heart of this movie.

What’s faltering:

• the politicized message is too simplistic and forced down our throats, rich bad, poor good, I get it, but I would like to actually care for those bandits in the mountains but I did not; if the movie is an allegorical sad requiem for Che Guevara it would be helpful that we had as charismatic figure as Che in the movie, but there was no one like that,
  • Silence’s silence is just a gimmick to me, I don’t feel there is an importance to it,
  • the dialogue; I was switching between English and Italian dub, both have lot of very ponderous and over-simplistic lines,
  • sheriff’s costume, it looks like it was from a cheap school play.

I’m partial about the ending. It is the purpose of the whole movie and its main legacy, but it puts rest of the movie under the shadow of that ending.

2 Likes