The Great Silence / Il grande silenzio (Sergio Corbucci, 1968)

Alex Cox is doing a live commentary tonight.

Costs $10

https://36cinema.com/programs/live-lot5c341y3c?categoryId=54971

1 Like

Nice to see 36 Cinema streaming Spaghetti Westerns.

1 Like

I know im a greenhorn but the great silence , other than the Leone dusters has got to be the best iv;e seen. any recomendations welcome.

Regards jimi

In many ways I envy you being a greenhorn. You have some great films ahead of you and discovering them for the first time is the best.

For recommendations I would always advise checking out our Top 20 and Alternative Top 20. These lists have been compiled based on our members votes and are a pretty good reflection of the best the genre has to offer. You can access them from the main page but here are the links anyway:

Also, as a side issue, if you want to comment on a particular film, check if there is already a thread for it before you start a new one. (Most films do have a thread by now) The thread for The Great Silence is here:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,112.0.html

Enjoy your journey through Spaghetti Land amigo and welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum rhodesboy66.

Does anyone have any idea about the copyright holder to this film, specifically the original Italian CR holders? I’m inclined to think that it could be 20th Century Fox or Adelphia Compagnia Cinematografica (the Italian production co.), but I just want to be certain. Also, why is it that Corbucci is credited as producer on this site? Other sources (such as Alex Cox’s 10,000 Ways to Die) state that the producer was Atilio Riccio.

No idea about the copyrights

The name Sergio Corbucci as producer is clearly wrong. Atillio Riccio is not mentioned on the credits (they come up with another name), but he’s mentioned by Marco Giusti in his standard work Il Dizionario del western all’Italiana. That’s where Alex Cox no doubt found the name.
Riccio apparently was some kind of executive producer for Adelphia CC (the company is mentioned on the credits)

Thanks for the correction, I’ll change the info later (I’ll check a few other sources first to be absolutely sure)

The Italian disc says on the back cover:

Copyright: ADELPHIA COMP. CIN.CA

Thanks! I’ll wait a while just to be sure, but I think I now have something to put on IMDB.

Merged some stuff, unfortunately it brought it back up. Anyways…

Pre-order this magnificent upcoming edition of The Great Silence:

2 Likes

To be honest I don’t think I’ll buy it. I’ve bought this film 4 times already.

1 Like

I don’t quite get the buzz of excitement over this release … nice packaging and a few meager extras doesn’t really do it for me these days.

1 Like

I never upgraded from the DVD, so I’ve already preordered a copy from Eureka. Free international shipping too!

1 Like

three audio commentaries though, that’s not meager I would say :wink:

I’m sure there are plenty of people who are busting to hear those commentaries, :wink: great if that’s your bag.
I’ve never really been wowed by this movie … and all the talk of it being a masterpiece actually wears me out. I think it’s a small film, that is well made, but it’s importance has been blown out of all proportion.
It’s nice that it’s getting a UK release, but that’s all … nice.

2 Likes

I’m waiting for the inventible 4K Criterion release of Shoot the Living, Pray for the Dead.

1 Like

You should do the commentary track for this one - priceless! :wink:

1 Like

I am so old I remember this movie not even being available on a decent DVD. Up until a few years ago, no BluRay of THE GREAT SILENCE existed. Now you can choose from various. And they’re almost all great (not sure about the Spanish gray market releases or the Japanese discs).
Puzzling: there is none in Italy.

Every fan should own it!

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Grande_silenzio,_Il/BluRay

2 Likes

Review for Eureka’s release of The Great Silence:

2 Likes

My review is in the works :slight_smile:

1 Like