The Great Silence DVD/Blu-Ray

Not on the realase I got, either, but there is a guy who have uploaded it with sound (no voices though) at You Tube:

Probably here: Leak nudes - The Home Of The Sexiest Thots, Nipple Slips, Bikini Pictures, Nude Streamers From Patreon, Onlyfans And Much More!

I almost bought the new UK release the other day. By the way, any news on this release or is it just a rumor : Grande silenzio, Il/BluRay - The Spaghetti Western Database

There any plans for a review of the DVD?

Does anyone know if the two French releases are identical (one is from 2003, the second one from summer 2008)? Would suck to buy the newer one, and the new UK disc, to only realize they are the same as far as the image goes (it is possible). :stuck_out_tongue:

Of course I could just buy the older French discā€¦ but it costs several euros more and I still wouldnā€™t know how the new one looks. :wink:

[quote=ā€œSundance, post:94, topic:1926ā€]Does anyone know if the two French releases are identical (one is from 2003, the second one from summer 2008)? Would suck to buy the newer one, and the new UK disc, to only realize they are the same as far as the image goes (it is possible). :stuck_out_tongue:

Of course I could just buy the older French discā€¦ but it costs several euros more and I still wouldnā€™t know how the new one looks. ;)[/quote]

As far as I know it was a cheap rerelease, so Iā€™d say itā€™s identical, but Iā€™m not absolutely sure, Iā€™ll try to find out

So whatā€™s the final verdict on this release?

I got the ā€˜Blueā€™ Digital Classics DVD yesterday

Image seems 1,77:1 anamorphic (not 1,66:1)
Just checked the French disc too, it seems more like 1,84:1, so itā€™s unlikely that they used the same master.

Iā€™ll do a DVD comparison later

10 posts were split to a new topic: The Great Silence DVD/Blu-Ray

I have been waiting to see ā€œThe Great Silenceā€ for years. It does not look like they are ever going to release this film in a quality better than the 2009 Digital Classics DVD. I have a multi region DVD player now, and I am looking to buy this DVD. Of course it is out of print and the cheapest copy (used) Iā€™ve seen is about $100. That is absurd. Do any of you SWDB members know where I can find this for a reasonable price?

Closing my thread. Found a copy for $15!!!

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: The Great Silence (Il Grande Silenzio): whatā€™s holding back a decent BD?

Hello Amigos,

I bet there are tons of related threads, but I would like to try to come to the core of the issue: why is it, that one of the most highly regarded SWā€™s, The Great Silence, is having such a hard time to find its way to a proper Blu Ray release? SWā€™s of lower standing have found their way to Blu Ray, so it is hard to fathom that The Great Silence is still only available on a reasonable DVD (I know thereā€™s a Japanese Blu Ray, but itā€™s quality will make you cry). For sure, there must be a movie company out there thatā€™s willing to put up some cash and effort to have this great movie polished up a bit and then have it transferred in its correct aspect ratio (anamorphically) so that movie fans in general, and SW afficionados in particular, can enjoy this movie in the best way possible. So back to my question: who has the movie rights, is is really that hard/costly to come up with a clean and crisp transfer and why is this all taking so long!?!? If it can be done for The Big Gundown (Great USA and Germany releases), it must be possible for The Great Silence.

1 Like

Only a matter of time imo. Studiocanal had announced a Blu already in 2012, but it hasnā€™t surfaced yet, which must mean that there are probably problems to get a decent master.

1 Like

I hoping for a Arrow release of this now!!!

lol

Iā€™d always wondered why there was such a debate over the correct aspect ratio of this one: 1.85:1 or 1.66:1

I believe that, as with the original Django, the original aspect ratio of this one is also 1.66:1 ā€¦I did some reading about aspect ratios a couple times and this one was apparently a frequently used AR in Europe at the time.

No, itā€™s 1,85:1. Mike Siegel has a hard matted 1,85:1 35 mm copy of the film.

But I donā€™t have any idea why the first DVDs were matted in a strange 1,56:1 aspect ratio. Somehow irrational ā€¦

Also it seems that, while 1,66:1 was indeed used in Europe very much, the Italians preferred 1,85:1. But there are several Spagies for which 1,66:1 is correct.

Glad its 1.85 then.

:o Why isnā€™t the Fantoma DVD in 1.85:1 then? That sucksā€¦I hope the blu-ray will correct that. Is Django supposed to be in 1.85:1 too??

Django seems to be in 1,66:1.