The Great Silence DVD/Blu-Ray

Excellent, thanks. I’ll add this to my shopping list.

Which ratio was this movie actually shoot on? I mean, I think its obvious looking at some of the shoots in the movie that part of the picture is missing, f.ex. when Kinski is holding up the wanted poster in the beggining. In comparison with other SWs the picture quality is really bad on every release of this one, except the french thats a little better.

Where is the original print?

[quote=“retask, post:72, topic:1926”]Which ratio was this movie actually shoot on? I mean, I think its obvious looking at some of the shoots in the movie that part of the picture is missing, f.ex. when Kinski is holding up the wanted poster in the beggining. In comparison with other SWs the picture quality is really bad on every release of this one, except the french thats a little better.

Where is the original print?[/quote]

We’ve been discussing this for quite some time, just read back this thread

I think it was shot in 1,66:1 (like for instance Django), which was a popular aspect ratio in latin countries in the sixties and seventies

Some still think it was shot in 1,85:1

The French disc, which has indeed good image quality, is in 1,76:1 approx; the new DVD seems to have the same AR, so they probably used the same master.

The Digital Classics DVD states that it is 1.66:1 enhanced. It isn’t. It is 1.78:1 enhanced. The IMDB has this movie listed at 1.66:1, which is most likely correct. I believe that the Fantoma release is still the best bet for English speaking fans. At least it is in the correct aspect ratio, even if it isn’t enhanced.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:73, topic:1926”]We’ve been discussing this for quite some time, just read back this thread

I think it was shot in 1,66:1 (like for instance Django), which was a popular aspect ratio in latin countries in the sixties and seventies

Some still think it was shot in 1,85:1

The French disc, which has indeed good image quality, is in 1,76:1 approx; the new DVD seems to have the same AR, so they probably used the same master.[/quote]

Ah, so the new UK DVD is the same aspect ratio as the French release? Interesting… I’m glad I have held back on buying the French release so far then.

No, if you’re adamant about 1.66:1 then definitely get the old UK Eureka disc which has both English and Italian audio options.

Well tonight I’m going to be getting a Phillips DVD player so I can start getting foreign DVDs. Should I skip on this one?

Do you have the Fantoma release?

If Italian audio isn’t essential to you, then it would probably be a waste of money. Although the picture quality is better.

Scherp, is this definitely the case? You couldn’t post a couple of screenshots could you to compare them? I’m still trying to decide whether to get the French R2 or the new UK R2 to replace my old UK R2 (regardless of audio).

I haven’t bought the new DVD (yet). I don’t know where I got the info that the new DVD has the same ratio as the French disc, probably read it somewhere on the net.

Well most everywhere else, except here, is saying the DVD’s aspect ratio is 1:66.1, which I thought was the original aspect ratio. Yes, I have the Fantoma release, but if this new release is anamorphic with better picture quality AND English audio, it seems like it would be the better copy.

Well there are screenshots from the new disc in this thread (15 posts backwards) and if you actually measure the aspect ratio from them, it is much closer to 1.78:1 (something like 1.76:1) than 1.66:1. I know most places say 1.66:1 and even the company releasing it claimed in an email it is 1.66:1 but if the screenshots in this thread are really from that disc, then it definitely is not 1.66:1. There are also images from the German disc in the same post and that measures into 1.66:1 and it is clear the new disc shows a bit more image at least at the right side. And left in the image with the crosses.
BUT, it also looks the german disc shows a bit more image at the bottom and top, and the amount of image between the two discs seem to vary between scenes.

And the aspect ratio itself means nothing… the image could have been stretched or squeezed into 1.78:1, the image could be cropped from some side or even all four sides. Only way to know how much image it shows compared to the others is to actually compare identical frames from the other discs (and the screenshots taken with computer and not photographed from TV screen as TVs have overscan).

How did the people here who actually got it, think of the new disc?

I have the new disc and I am very happy to have an anamorphic version to watch on my new 46" LCD. I think it looks great. Should be on blu-ray though. That ending still kills me. Haunts me for days.
The dvd is the best you are going to see of this movie to date. No exceptions.

anyone wanna write a review? please? :slight_smile:

[quote=“Sundance, post:81, topic:1926”]Well there are screenshots from the new disc in this thread (15 posts backwards) and if you actually measure the aspect ratio from them, it is much closer to 1.78:1 (something like 1.76:1) than 1.66:1. I know most places say 1.66:1 and even the company releasing it claimed in an email it is 1.66:1 but if the screenshots in this thread are really from that disc, then it definitely is not 1.66:1. There are also images from the German disc in the same post and that measures into 1.66:1 and it is clear the new disc shows a bit more image at least at the right side. And left in the image with the crosses.
BUT, it also looks the german disc shows a bit more image at the bottom and top, and the amount of image between the two discs seem to vary between scenes.

And the aspect ratio itself means nothing… the image could have been stretched or squeezed into 1.78:1, the image could be cropped from some side or even all four sides. Only way to know how much image it shows compared to the others is to actually compare identical frames from the other discs (and the screenshots taken with computer and not photographed from TV screen as TVs have overscan).[/quote]

Does anyone have the 2007 SPO release? According to amazon.co.jp[url]http://www.amazon.co.jp/殺しが静かにやって来る-スペシャル・エディション-DVD-セルジオ・コルブッチ/dp/B000NOKEN6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1261196764&sr=8-1[/url], the aspect ratio is 1.78:1

I would love to see a review.

Me too

I can’t find a good review on the net
I’ll write one if the company will send me a copy

The problem is I’m still not sure whether I should buy this release or not
I have the French release (great, but no English audio) and have a copy of the British release (good, but not great)

well you have an @spaghetti-western.net email account, feel free to ask the company for a copy. i mean they have posted in here havent they? i think i even have the email address of that one guy. we should get a review copy. we need one!

I just watched this release and it was interresting to see the alternative ending for the first time.
The sad ending does the film more justice though.

[quote=“Dorado, post:89, topic:1926”]I just watched this release and it was interresting to see the alternative ending for the first time.
The sad ending does the film more justice though.[/quote]

but it doesn’t have sound :stuck_out_tongue: