The Grand Duel / Il grande duello (Giancarlo Santi, 1972)

Again a great German title: Drei Vaterunser fĆ¼r vier Halunken : Three Lordā€™s Prayers for four scoundrels

Donā€™t remember much praying in this one, and I wonder who those four scoundrels are

I also wonder how on earth the Germans could name The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Zwei Glorreiche Halunken.
Was one of the three cut from a shorter version that was initially released theatrically? In if so, who?

[quote=ā€œscherpschutter, post:162, topic:199ā€]Again a great German title: Drei Vaterunser fĆ¼r vier Halunken : Three Lordā€™s Prayers for four scoundrels

Donā€™t remember much praying in this one, and I wonder who those four scoundrels are

I also wonder how on earth the Germans could name The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Zwei Glorreiche Halunken.
Was one of the three cut from a shorter version that was initially released theatrically? In if so, who?[/quote]

Those four scroundrels are supposed to be Lee (or Vermeer) and the three Saxon brothers, probably. Stupid German title anywayā€¦

I think ā€œZweiā€ = Clint and Eli ā€¦ while Lee is supposed to be the villain thereā€™s nothing ā€œglorreichā€ = glorious about himā€¦

[quote=ā€œscherpschutter, post:162, topic:199ā€]I also wonder how on earth the Germans could name The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Zwei Glorreiche Halunken.
Was one of the three cut from a shorter version that was initially released theatrically? In if so, who?[/quote]

I guess itā€™s just referring to Blondie and Tuco ???

The German DVD doesnā€™t look too bad at all. I thought it wasnā€™t supposed to be any good.

In this case it was only a translation of Leoneā€™s working title. So Leone is also to blame a little for it.

But doubtless every German release company has without any further help the ability always to invent creative new titles of crackbraining stupidity.

Donā€™t remember having read this, but could well be. The novel Deux Amis by Maupassant was major source of inspiration, and the Italian war movie (forgot the title) was also about two soldiers.

Frayling writes on page 203:

ā€œIn fact the film was not originally to be called GBU. The title I due magnifici straccioni (The 2 Magnificent Tramps) was changed just before shooting began.ā€

[quote=ā€œStanton, post:168, topic:199ā€]Frayling writes on page 203:

ā€œIn fact the film was not originally to be called GBU. The title I due magnifici straccioni (The 2 Magnificent Tramps) was changed just before shooting began.ā€[/quote]

Thanx

Must have read that when I wrote the review for Fistful of Pasta, but my memory is not what it used to be

I plan to do the film for this site in autumn (a lot of rewatching, rereading and re-evaluating ahead)
Already spoke to somebody by email who made an excellent study of the locations used and got permission to use his material

German TV (ARD) screenshots:

I was disappointed by this movie to be honest (I voted it a 2). To me itā€™s like Apocalypse Joe in that it has a great soundtrack but the movie just didnā€™t feel deserving of it. The main theme was used a little too much for my liking but still great. Itā€™s always nice to see Lee Van Cleef on screen even if I donā€™t particularly like the story. There was one scene spoilers in which the young guy shoots Lee in the face and he apparently catches the bullet between his teeth. This kind of threw the realism out the window for me. A decent movie but not one of my favourites.

Well, actuallyā€¦

Personally, I thought the film was fairly decent. I do, however, need to give it another shot, since the first time I watched it I took a quick dislike to the soundtrack and now I listen to the theme several times a week. Plus things like the anachronistic MG-42 really bugged me back then, but I donā€™t really care about those inaccuracies anymore. Oh, and the copy I had (well, I still have it) was quite awful quality-wise.

Wow, I edited this post so many time, I really need to go to sleep.

This is not a bad movie, but you have the feeling that the people involved in the project didnā€™t really believe in it. They knew the glory days of the genre were over and therefore gave only 50-60 %, with the exception of Oā€™Brien, who jumps, flies, kicks, flick flacks and summersaults through the movie.

The film is part of the 3DVD/9Movie set by St; Clair Vision, and the copy they used is good.

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/The_Grand_Duel_Review

The Grand Duel (Santi/72)

ā€œThe Grand Duelā€ (1972), directed by Giancarlo Santi, is a fun Spaghetti Western that is also one of Quentin Tarantinoā€™s favourite filmā€™s (he uses the music by Luis Bacalov in ā€œKill Billā€). The screenplay is not overly complex that has at least one quite surprising twist: Lee Van Cleef plays an ex-lawman called Clayton who protects Newman (Peter Oā€™Brien) from a false murder rap. In trying to find the real killers, he makes enemies of the powerful Saxon Clan. This, of course, ends in the titular confrontation that takes place in a series of Corrals and looks very, very good. Itā€™s not as prolonged as Sergio Leoneā€™ showdowns, but it is still really quite tense. The score is tuneful, the acting is passable, although Van Cleef and Klaus GrĆ¼nberg are honourable exceptions and the direction is very confidant, surprising when you lean that this was Santiā€™s only Western (but he was Leoneā€™s assistant director on ā€œDuck, You Sucker!ā€ [1971]).

Note: The version I saw was cut; I watched an 88 minute cut of the film. On the database it lists its running time as 100 minutes.

[quote=ā€œBill san Antonio, post:6, topic:199ā€]Personally Iā€™m not so fond of these ebay-bootleggers. Iā€™d choose the Wild East version even if itā€™s missing some scenes. Itā€™s better to support a company which is releasing so rare stuff as spaghetti westerns.

I once bought few titles from Jerksi and I wasnā€™t that satisfied. There are SW-fans out there who are making great quality projects available on dvd-r and are willing to trade or sell them for little money. Ebay bootleggers are only after our money.[/quote]
the scene with the bloody hand itā€™s available anywhere???

the last duel itā€™s one of the best i ever seen!! realy suspensful!

In the German version.
But it is not on the DVD, which for unknown reasons is shorter than necessary.

[quote=ā€œStanton, post:177, topic:199ā€]In the German version.
But it is not on the DVD, which for unknown reasons is shorter than necessary.[/quote]
itā€™s very good scene i have the wild east version and itā€™s cut for unknown reasons
i read also missing some others scenes as well

the duel was the best thing about this movie!

The duel was good but I found the part when Peter shoots LVCā€™s hat off to start the duel a little confusing.