The Grand Duel / Il grande duello (Giancarlo Santi, 1972)

Whatā€™s all the hate against this one? It was a long time since I saw it, but I remember liking it.

Some people like it, some people like it not so much, but thereā€™s no hate.

I donā€™t hate it, I actually like the film. But it has a few flaws for sure.

Everything has flaws, especially when it comes to Spaghettis 8).

But these are bigger flaws.

Even Gandhi? :wink:

LOL, and Cannibal Holocaust?

I watched this tonight for only the second time. I didnā€™t remember much about it to be honest, other than the camp villain. Rewatching, at first I thought ā€œoh, this is terribleā€ but admittedly the experience isnā€™t helped by the fact that my copy is dire (from the Diamond Entertainment LvC ā€œFive Films on 2 DVDsā€ set - ā€œFully Restored and Enhanced Digital Mastersā€ my ass!! ::). As the film progressed I started to enjoy it more though it still seems a mixed bag - Van Cleef is great as always but the film seemed to lack atmosphere with some of the music sounding like a rip off of OUATITW, seemingly trying unsuccessfully to add a sense of the dramatic to the scenes.

I rather liked Peter Oā€™Brien and had no idea until reading this thread that he is such a mystery man about whom almost nothing is known. I must say in watching the film I too thought Van Cleef was meant to have caught the bullet with his teeth and was thinking, ā€œdear oh dearā€¦ā€

Maybe when Iā€™m due to watch this again I might do well invest in a better quality copy - though isnā€™t it annoying that the recent UK DVDs of this and Kid Vengeance both have stills of Van Cleef from The Big Gundown on their covers? ???

Thatā€™s an exception ;D.

Very lazy and / or unimaginative.

No man is perfect; even he made mistakes.

The only great man I have known was my Dad :slight_smile: .

Spoken like a true son! :slight_smile:

there are no biger than django :wink:

Anyone who knows more about the uncut version, where it can be obtained etc, please immediately contact me! thank you

i will give even 100 dollars for the uncut version!! for me the movie itā€™s simple a masterpiece!
i donā€™t know about the others, i canā€™t believe they cut 7 minutes
wild east must be re-released it again with digital remastered picture and uncut
i wonder what scenes they will cut, i hope action

HORST FRANK forever!!!

KSM isā€¦ they are looking for the uncut material.

very good!!! i canā€™t wait to see the uncut versionā€¦

KSM can take the hand scene from the trailer but the other material must call director giancarlo santi
or the producers of the film