The Grand Duel / Il grande duello (Giancarlo Santi, 1972)

Yes, Phil…and if you do believe that then you also believe that Tom B.'s favorite film of all-time is MATALO!
:wink:

Watched the cut Google Video version… still enjoyed it though.

You’ve never seen Tinto Brass’s Yankee, have you? Brass had some strange philosophy regarding Chinese tradition or something of showing parts to represent wholes. Phil, you know of this I believe as I think it was you who knows abut it all.

I really want to watch Yankee. Will pick up the Koch version sometime.

Bought it yesterday watched today

Wast a waste of LVC and time, one of the worst SW I’ve saw.
One think that I dislike in a film (and especially inSW) is when they try to mix all different styles in one film it never works for me.
First the Italian locationsare always a drawback, even more in this case with the extensive use of the quarry, we can even see the marks of the machinery on the stone. The soundtrack may be cool on a separate listening, but it’s very bad integrated with film, also if Alberto Dentice can act, so can I, choosing that guy to act with LVC is like choosing a vespa to race a Ferrari.
The plot it’s predictable, but that could even be OK, if the film was well done, the problem is that it’s boring and with too many characters (and seing the guys running around the quarry didn’t help to it), the director more of a assistance director, made one film that I saw only because it had Hugo Pratt (the creator of Corto Maltese BD) on it, and that film not being a great one was much better than this boring piece.
LVC walks around in the film like if we wasn’t in it, how can it be possible not to make at least something watchable with Mr Cool of the SW himself, it´s easy for a director to take advantage of that fact, but in this case not, sometimes in the film I was left thinking if the director wanted to make a political SW or something but then I wake up and got back to the invoices.
After this one got the Death rides a Horse to recover

I find the movie good. As already described by many others, not great but good.
But the soundtrack is great. Very good. Good enough for Tarantino to reuse it.

The beginning in the unusual western town is filmed very nicely. OK, I’ll give El Topo right. The next 15 minutes are then a little boring, with lots of sand pits scenes.
But then the film will get better and better.
The story is a bit like THE BIG Gundown. LVC chasing an innocent man.
And then the final duel. Very good.
Too bad that it was the only Western from Santi.

I Don`t care that much for this Film!!!

I didn’t have any expectations when i popped this in my DVD player last night but in the end i was pleasantly suprised. Sure it isn’t van Cleef’s most spectacular performance in a SW but i was thorougly entertained throughout the movie.

The plot was little bit something different and there were few nice twists along the line to keep things interesting. Luckily no silly acrobatic stunts ala “Sabata” here, except for one or two scenes. The movie and the sets do look a little cheap but the cast of actors raises the quality a notch. Horst Franks is the ideal bad guy as well as the guy who plays his gay brother. Van Cleef has little to do here except looking bad ass. But he was probably hired just to give the film a little recognition among the hundred SW’s titles that came out around that time.

One scene did annoy me somewhat though. When Vermeer shoots Cleef’s character and he supposedly catches the bullet between his teeth. Now van Cleef is bad ass but catching a bullet between your teeth? Puhleez! But otherwise a very enjoyable SW which is well worth your time if you are a dedicated SW and Lee van Cleef fan.

The DSX Films DVD is correctly framed at 2:35 but sadly not anamorphic. The print looks somewhat rough in the beginning, but it get’s better a few minutes in the movie.

He didn’t catch the bullet between his teeth. He secretly emptied out vermeer’s pistol beforehand and just kept one of the bullets in his mouth to show off.

One thing doesn’t make sense though. Vermeer had no reservations in shooting Van Cleef. Yet that girl goes “he doesn’t look like a murderer”. LOL. And they end up falling in love at the end despite never actually talking to each other through out the movie.

Ah, my bad, i already thought it might have had mistunderstood what exactly happened. He did fire the gun at van Cleef and moments later he spat out a bullet. So i just assumed it was some kind of cheesy superman-esque hommage or something. ;D

The ending was indeed somewhat confusing and i doubt the relationship between vermeer and the girl is explained in the missing 9 minutes. But who cares in the end. I wanna see van Cleef shoot some bad guys. Who cares about the sappy love stories?!? :wink:

Extremely bad the quality of the German DVD is not.
I was pleasantly surprised. OK, it is comparable to a TV recording. But there are much worse DVD releases. The only thing annoying is that it is a little cut. But there is more. It’s just from the company KSM (“kein super Material” :wink: oder “keine super Marke” :wink: , KSM )

Have a look at:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Grande_duello,_Il/Comparison_VHS-DVD_(deutsch)

[quote=“Bluntwolf, post:132, topic:199”]Have a look at:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Grande_duello,_Il/Comparison_VHS-DVD_(deutsch)[/quote]

Great work, Bluntwolf. :wink:

I can not generally understand the massive criticism of this DVD.
OK, it is cut, but these are almost all KSM discs. The one knows at the company.
And too bad the quality is not. So there it is worse on the German market.
And I do not think that the Wild East or DSX disk from this movie are much better (correct me if anyone else knows).
Only at the beginning of the picture is very soft and pale. But then I think it goes upward.

As I said, that only what is really annoying are the cuts, even if they do not fall really matters. Only the price of some € 10 is completely exaggerated. But who buys it for 5 or 6 euro, I think, can live with it. :wink:

But the German TV version is longer, and people say it has better picture quality. So …

Yes, the TV version is longer. But only a little.
And the quality is similar. Or do we say there are only minor differences.

But the DVD is not as bad as the German DVD’s of “A Stranger in Town” or “The Price of Power”. :wink:

43.20 min

• Klaus GrĂźnberg (Adam Saxon) erschießt den alten John (Giovanni Filidoro). Es fehlt die Szene, wo John den weißen Anzug Adams mit seiner blutverschmierten Hand “versaut”…

But such a scene missing, even if it is a short one, is reason enough not to buy the DVD.

Well, all in all it ain’t a too interesting film either, so I wouldn’t buy it for one sorry buck.

Question how can it happen that KSM is not even able to have the German version? Not to talk of an uncut version. And such a cheap DVD damps down the chances to get an uncut DVD.

[quote=“Stanton, post:136, topic:199”]43.20 min

• Klaus GrĂźnberg (Adam Saxon) erschießt den alten John (Giovanni Filidoro). Es fehlt die Szene, wo John den weißen Anzug Adams mit seiner blutverschmierten Hand “versaut”…

But such a scene missing, even if it is a short one, is reason enough not to buy the DVD.

Well, all in all it ain’t a too interesting film either, so I wouldn’t buy it for one sorry buck.

Question how can it happen that KSM is not even able to have the German version? Not to talk of an uncut version. And such a cheap DVD damps down the chances to get an uncut DVD.[/quote]

Yes, you are right. Cuts are always annoying.
My question is: Is the German TV version cut or uncut. You know more?

I have the German VHS from Toppic which is almost uncut but it it missing one or two boob shots (can’t remember…). I wonder if it is the same with the German TV version…

The Italian Version runs 100 min, while the German one runs 98 min.

A bed scene is missing, and the closing credits run longer.

Just checked OFDB.

The TV version runs 92 min and a few sec. That’s 96 min in cinema.

What’s missing is 2 min with music but without a picture after the closing credits. These 2 min can be found on German VHS versions. Makes 98 min theatrically.