The Grand Duel / Il grande duello (Giancarlo Santi, 1972)

[quote=ā€œDillinger, post:99, topic:199ā€]Maybe Iā€™m just glad to see LvC in a SWā€¦ Iā€™ve just seen GD once. Back then I regarded it better than Beyond the Law.

Seems like it`s time for a double featureā€¦[/quote]

LOL

OK, maybe a bit demanding for a double feature, I should drop one of them for a better LvC flick.

Like what, Kid Vengeance? :wink:

No, the Bounty Hunter episode of Lucky Lukeā€¦

Just watched this one yesterday (German VHS release by Toppic, 92:20 Min.) as I wanted to check the runtime compared to the DVD release. Some parts, the opening scene particularly, are really great - on the other hand there is also a lot of average stuff, even some really confusing parts as the story seems not to be developed in detail. So I would say 3 out of 5 points.

By the way: Why are the people in town clapping with their shoes as Adam (Klaus GrĆ¼nberg) killed the old man in front of the saloon???

Hmmā€¦ canā€™t remember that scene. Iā€™ll have a look.

Itā€™s a protest against the power of the brothers, against the killing of a defenseless man.

OK, but I`ve never seensomething like this as a kind of protest before.
Put off you shoes and clap them - the Saxons suck, show off your stinky feet :wink:

[quote=ā€œaxl_foley_01, post:108, topic:199ā€]OK, but I`ve never seensomething like this as a kind of protest before.
Put off you shoes and clap them - the Saxons suck, show off your stinky feet ;)[/quote]

I doubt the Saxons were offended by the stench as they looked pretty rank themselves. I liked the protest as it was different from most innocent killings in a spaghetti western.

In 5 Men army the crowd sings as protest against an execution. The basic idea is the same. But the smell of the feet makes it probably more effective. :wink:

The villagers are all members of the international coblers union and when a member dies or is killed they perform this ritual of removing their shoes and banging them together to make sure heaven knows another shoemakerā€™s sole is on its way to boot hill.

Iā€™d like to believe this but it sounds likeā€¦well, a load of cobblers :wink:

LOL

So I finally watched this. I had been eager to see it for two reasons: Giancarlo Santiā€™s previous connection with Sergio Leone; Luis Bacalovā€™s excellent score.

Unfortunately, it seems that Bacalovā€™s score was the only saving grace for me :frowning:

However, I did watch it as a horrible full-screen version which certainly did not do the film justice. In particular it was one of those full-screen versions where rather than simply cutting the edges off, they sometimes scan across the image to give you the complete picture. It certainly seemed like Santi wanted to use all of the widescreen image available to him which would have been nice to see on a widescreen print. Could someone please confirm that in the extreme closeups, the camera focused on both eyes at the same time and not one eye and then the other as it did in this fullscreen version ???

[quote=ā€œNovecento, post:114, topic:199ā€]So I finally watched this. I had been eager to see it for two reasons: Giancarlo Santiā€™s previous connection with Sergio Leone; Luis Bacalovā€™s excellent score.

Unfortunately, it seems that Bacalovā€™s score was the only saving grace for me :frowning:

However, I did watch it as a horrible full-screen version which certainly did not do the film justice. In particular it was one of those full-screen versions where rather than simply cutting the edges off, they sometimes scan across the image to give you the complete picture. It certainly seemed like Santi wanted to use all of the widescreen image available to him which would have been nice to see on a widescreen print. Could someone please confirm that in the extreme closeups, the camera focused on both eyes at the same time and not one eye and then the other as it did in this fullscreen version ???[/quote]

Watching shit ass versions of some good movies has, in the past, seriously swayed my judgement before. Iā€™m a big fan of watching these classics as god intended ;). Iā€™ve never viewed a SW where the director purposely panned in on one eye. Itā€™s definitely a two eyed genre as far as Iā€™m concerned.

LOL

Yup, that make sense - I should really give it a proper viewing as it was intended before reviewing.

I just checked out the trailer on youtube and yes both eyes are shown at the same time. One thing Santi appears to do well (although I am yet to appreciate it) is use all the image available to him. No wonder I felt so disoriented as the full-screen image scanned back and forth across the widescreen one!

Consequently I think Iā€™ll reserve judgment until a later dateā€¦

Howā€™s the current German DVD?

Cut.

And they say the picture quality ainā€™t good. Better to keep the TV version.

Well, but on the LCD screen the TV recordings always look pretty poor.