The Grand Duel / Il grande duello (Giancarlo Santi, 1972)

Thereā€™s also Mill Creek box that has got the same print as WE

And the St. Clair Vision box has a widescreen copy without the English title card, not sure if there are any other differences

I didnā€™t like parts of the music as well. There are some funny saloon piano music parts. Same shit as in Bad Manā€™s Riverā€¦

It doesnā€™t really match the movie, for GD is a rather serious flick.

The main theme is not bad but some of the other music is not so good like you say.

God dang. I just cannot get this one. It has a reallygood beginning but then with the ho down chase scene and uneven focus from stagecoach to Vermeer and so on, it really loses momentum. And that talk from the Saxons about talking Washington DC by stomr! Give me a break. And the White House?! Thats what Acombar said and we know whathappened to him. Just to unrealisitc in the thought process.

[quote=ā€œCol. Douglas Mortimer, post:32, topic:199ā€]Good movie. Only thing wrong with this film is that the relationship between Phillip and Adamā€™s ex fiance could have been developed better. They hardly said a word to each other the whole movie, yet at the end they were kissing. That was wierd.

Also, does anybody know why Philliip shot off Cleefā€™s hat during the final duel? Was it throw off the 3 brothers since they were all planning on shooting at the same time?[/quote][quote=ā€œCol. Douglas Mortimer, post:35, topic:199ā€]He didnā€™t catch it with his teeth. He had it in his mouth the whole time. Phillip shot a blank. That was another wierd part of the movie. The girl claims that she doesnā€™t think Phillip is a murderer because he doesnā€™t look like one. But didnā€™t she just witness phillip attempt to shoot Van Cleef?

Perhaps she was just smittened by blind love. In a way this movie sends out the wrong message. That murderers have to ā€œlookā€ like murderers in order to be one.

You guys ever heard of Lombrosoā€™s ā€œAtavistic Criminalā€?[/quote]

Just quoting my posts from a couple years ago when first joined the forum and the Grand duel was one of the first SW"s I ever saw.

One thing I didnā€™t mention although it is extraordinarily spectacular and unique in SW history:

Horst Frank as old Saxon wears the most unbelievable beard ever seen in a SW!!!

[quote=ā€œDillinger, post:87, topic:199ā€]One thing I didnā€™t mention although it is extraordinarily spectacular and unique in SW history:

Horst Frank as old Saxon wears the most unbelievable beard ever seen in a SW!!![/quote]

LOL thanks for the info I didnā€™t even realize that was him!

I really liked this one. It does have two different styles to it but I like it - LVC is solid in it and the Saxon clan are a great bunch of creeps.

Then take another careful look at the black and white retro-scenes. Itā€™s worth it!!!

Yea I think I noticed that as well. Itā€™s pretty goofy.

They should have played the silly saloon music in that scene :smiley:

Has anyone on the forum ever managed to see a complete version of this?

I was hopeful the new UK release would come through but not only is it listed at only just over 89min, it has been further cut to remove a horsefall :frowning:

I wonder if there have ever been a longer English version than what is on the Wild East disc?

I have a German version which is almost 5Ā½ minutes longer than the WE disc, but the WE disc has about 20 seconds of footage that is not present in the German version. Plus theres maybe one or two places where a few seconds of footage are used at different times.

I donā€™t know if the German TV version (shown several times in Germany) is complete or not, as I only own the original Toppic VHS release.

No, there are about 2 min missing to the Italian.

A bed scene, which is missing, and the closing credits run longer.

Donā€™t want to beat a dead horse but I honestly couldnā€™tgive a shit if there was an extended version. Itā€™s poorly made enough. Quite possibly beyond repair. Good opening but downhill from there. Thatā€™s what happens when you mix Leone Stylization and spaghetti action

Cā€™mon korano, itā€™s still a good movie. Surely a top 40 flick for me.

But not for me, :wink:

Maybe Iā€™m just glad to see LvC in a SWā€¦ Iā€™ve just seen GD once. Back then I regarded it better than Beyond the Law.

Seems like it`s time for a double featureā€¦

Should be merged with [url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,199.0.html[/url] where ā€œIl Grande Duelloā€ should be added to the topic title to make it easier to find.