The Grand Duel / Il grande duello (Giancarlo Santi, 1972)

So his is uncut?

Where can I contact Jerksi?

Has he given up with the dvds?Last time i looked he was only selling musical equipment on Ebay unless thats another Jerksi.

I was really looking foward to this one and now having seen it I can say some aspects lived up to my expectations while others did not.

I must mention that I watched the horrible pan and scan version(pan and scan is already bad enough but this took it to a whole different level) so that didnt help and also, can someone tell me if the 1 hour and 28 minute version is cut down?

Theres seems to be some major plot holes in the film and it seems to jump around alot. Maybe the scripts just that poorly written in some areas?

Anyway, the incoherence takes some points off the film as does the weird scenes that just seem to come out of left field, like Dude getting the girl at the end. Its one thing not to linger on the relationship but we had no reason to belive either really wanted anything do do with the other. The major plot twist was pretty obvious as well.

But that brings me to the flashbacks, which were damn cool. Those along with the score and the final showdown were great. And Adam was a pretty interesting character.

I for sure want to see a decent copy of this film sometime.

Yes it is cut. Idf it was the pan and scan version, it is proboly the old storm rider release and missing a couple shots of nudity and violence. I think

Do you know how long the original cut was supposed to be?

98 minutes according to IMDB. They cut about 9 minutes!

Thats actually a decent size chunk.

I really want to see clean, uncut, widscreen version.

Yeah! Iā€™m goin to go look for one right now!

I watched the Prisvideo release of this film yesterday. Loved the score!

I rewatched this one recenly. Rented it (but only was interested in Beyond the Law which got better). This one was worse than I remember. I found the Leone imitation here sadly obvious and the suspense very pretentious and annoying. Took way too long to develope the plot and I could care less about the characters. Quite boring but all IMO.

I have the same opinion! Didnā€™t like some ā€œgreenā€ scenarios as well (waterfall, etc).

Yeah. Completely out of place. On the good side, the build up to the grand duel is a very great spaghetti moment. But the duel itself was terribly edited.

Iā€™m not even sure what exactly happened. I just saw Phillip Oā€™Brien/Alberto Dentice shoot Van Cleefā€™s hat off which prompted LVC to shoot the three brothers. Wierd.

What it was was LVC slowly walking to the cattle pens, pushing open each gate to get to the last one which contained the three Saxons. They waited too long and Oā€™Brien got impatient so he shoots of LVCā€™s hat to get things going. Terrible editing. But great build up.

I also thought they overused the word ā€œpatriarchā€. Canā€™t they just call the son of a bitch Dad! I donā€™t call my dad patriarch.

Thought the music started out good but got into the OUATITW imitation mode. LVCā€™s walk into the besieged village would have been cool without the msuic. It built up too much (the music that is) while the scene is trying to be small scale like the intro to a Leone film. The Tuscan locations did bother me. Too Italian.

Also, it feels like it is trying to be a Spaghetti Western. With the crazy Adam characer with all white and unmanly characteristics. I never did like it when the films try to create a bad guy simply by appearance. They should develope the character as a truly twisted bastard like in Shoot the Living, Pray for the Dead.

For all the bad things to say, I did like the plot but I thought it wasnā€™t handled correctly. I understand it is trying to build suspense but it got a little pretentious. To show offy. I dunno. Maybe I was in a really critical mood when I rewatched. I suppose it will be getting another rewatching in the near future. At least it will be another chance to see the great Beyond the Law.

Well sorta ā€¦ iā€™ve said this before but when LVC/Clayton hears the shot, and the hat comes off, his instinctive reaction is to draw and fire - if Oā€™Brien/Vermiere hadnā€™t have done this then Clayton would almost certainly have been killed by the Saxons, if heā€™d have waited for them to draw first. So Vermiere saves his life. Another ā€˜Freudianā€™ debt paid to the ā€˜fatherā€™ maybe - if ya wanna read too much into it ;)?

I just watched this one. Man, Itā€™s always nice to see LVC!

The happy end is a bit too happy for me, but I really loved this one. I think, this is the best example for a wannabe Leone. Santi tried to copy as many shots as possible and the music with its voices sounds like Morricone.

maybe ā€œwannabeā€ sounds a bit too negative, cause I really enjoyed The Grand Duel.

AND, I didnā€™t expect to see Hans Terofal in a SWā€¦

Right, he mainly appeared in the silly ā€œPaukerā€ movies (Die LĆ¼mmel von der ersten Bank) or German Soft-Sex flics a la ā€œAuf der Alm da gibtā€™s koa SĆ¼ndā€ ;D

He suffered from heart problems and asthmaā€¦ In March 1976 he fell into coma and died ā€˜cause of his strong alcohol addictionā€¦ :frowning: :ā€™(

There will never be a janitor like him in any movieā€¦

In GD he plays exactly the same role as in the aforementioned ones.

Unfortunately he doesnā€™t get shot in GD :smiley:

Is the Wild Eastā€™s dvd only decent dvd release at the moment? I have cheap Brentwood version and Iā€™m thinking of upgrade.

I have re-watched it also, since a good and uncut 2,35:1 version was shown again on German TV.

I liked it a bit more now, but Iā€™m still not sure about this film.
Some parts are well made, but their are also several more awkward scenes.

What else? Cheap locations, great music (main theme), bad music (country like shit), good cast, some shoot-outs too many but a good final duel, some over the top costumes, some unnecessary doses of humour, entertaining.

3,5/5