The Grand Duel / Il grande duello (Giancarlo Santi, 1972)

[quote=ā€œscherpschutter, post:40, topic:199ā€]Itā€™s bizarre. Even on Italian sites thereā€™s hardly any info.
And then this name, Dentice. Iā€™m not Italian, nor have I grown up over there, but it doesnā€™t sound like a proper name to me (what do you make of it SD ?). In English ā€˜Denticeā€™ would be something like ā€˜Toothieā€™. I remember he had shiny teeth, so it might be a knickname or a pseudonym thatā€™s meant to be funny.
Anyway, a mysterious bloke, this Peter/Alberto.[/quote]

I think Tom B mentioned on the board at thebad.net that he was probably a stuntman.

I am not sure about this actor Scherp.

As you said ā€œdenticeā€ relates to teeth/dentures but it is his surname, he made 1 film only

MY ADVICE:

Forget this Peter 0ā€™Brien and his tiny credit of 1 film :ā€™( and have a good look at the man

HORST FRANK Prolific German supporting actor with screen charisma/charm/ability.

:o :smiley:

Horst Frank is great, recently seen him in the excellent Johnny Hamlet.

Yes Ennio I am getting Johnny Hamlet also, it sounds very inviting indeed.

I am looking at the very prolific career of HORST FRANK Rip 1929-1999

Horst Frank has acted since the 1950s in TOP CLASS Thrillers, SWs, Police, Spy, Actionā€¦

Truly one of the all time GREAT German actors and a distinguished screen presence :slight_smile: :o

Horst Frank appeared in the GRAND DUEL 1972 and numerous other Superb SWs :o

True, true !!! :slight_smile:

Aka : Il Grande Duello (I), Le Grand Duel (F), Drei Vaterunser fĆ¼r vier Halunken (D)

Dir: Giancarlo Santi - Cast: Lee van Cleef, Peter Oā€™Brien, Horst Frank, Marc Mazza, Klaus GrĆ¼nberg, Jess Hahn - Music: Luis Bacalov (and Sergio Bardotti?)

Unlike the moody twilight spaghetti westerns of the second half of the seventies, or the numerous comedies spawned by the Trinity movies, this film tries to recreate the myth of the previous decade. Although it was director Giancarlo Santiā€™s first spaghetti western, he seemed the right man for the job. After all he had been assistent-director to Sergio Leone and Giulio Petrone, and had walked on the sets of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Once upon a Time in the West and Death rides a Horse. The Grand Duel is not one of the great spaghetti westerns, but itā€™s not pompous or self-indulgent, nor is it too silly.

A man called Philip Vermeer - probably not a great painter but certainly an excellent shot - has been found guilty of murdering a local patriarch, but has escaped and is now on the run. He is persecuted both by bounty hunters, paid by the patriarchā€™s sons, the saxons, and an ex-sheriff, who claims Vermeer is innocent. During the first half of the picture, we see both men fighting off and escaping from bounty-hunters, the second part is largely set in Saxon town and deals with the question who actually killed the patriarch. Although the action is well-executed, the second part, with influences of giallo and noir, is by far the best. Van Cleef has more to do and the final twist, although a bit obvious, is well-prepared in a series of flashbacks, shot in de-saturated, heavily filtered colours.

Still cast as a Colonel Mortimer type of character, good old Lee hangs around most of the time, hiding his face under his hat or grimacing at Oā€™Brien. Even without looking he seems to know what is about to happen (or not): when Oā€™Brien tells him that an attack is imminent, he orders him to lie down and not to worry, there will be no attack, tomorrow will be a long day and they need their sleep. Oā€™Brien, on the other hand, has an hyper-active role, jumping from roof to wagon and making summersaults during the gunplay. Oā€™Brien had only two un-credited brief appearences, on his account, the kind of appearences most actors wouldnā€™t even want to be credited for: he had been a naked hippie in Franco Bursatoā€™s The girl who couldnā€™t say no and a hippie with a hat in the episodic Capriccio allā€™italiana. After The Grand Duel he spent some time in India and finally earned a living as a journalist for Espresso, under his real name Alberto Dentice. The villains are particularly well-cast: Frank, creepy as always, plays both the patriach and his oldest son, a cunning, knowing man with political aspirations, French actor Mazza (best known for a small part in My Name is Nobody) is the middle son, a simple man of action, and German actor GrĆ¼nberg steals the show as the youngest son, a white clad homosexual maniac who kills an entire community of dutch immigrants, in a scene so over the top it will leave you cringing. In a very nice reference to Shane, he puts on white gloves before executing a defenceless old man.

Personally iā€™m not very fond of the score, but most people seem to like it and Tarantino used a part of it for Kill Bill. This score is attributed to both Luis Bacalov and Sergio Bardotti, but Marco Giusti sustains in his Dizionario that Bacalov wrote all compositions and that Bardotti only did some orchestrations. He claims that this is confirmed by Santi. And thereā€™s more: according to Oā€™Brien/Dentice the music played over the Italian end credits was written by the De Angelis brothers.
I donā€™t know, and I donā€™t know why Oā€™Brien shoots off Leeā€™s hat either.

Reviewed version: The film is part of the 3DVDs/9MOVIES box of St. Clair Vision. The film is presented in (more or less) its OAR and looks very fine for such a cheap release. The DD 5.1 virtual surround didnā€™t sound very surround to me, but is otherwise okay.

1 Like

I think he shoots it off to fool the lvc character to draw and shoot and into thinking the duel had started, the youngster knowing that the older man would almost certainly be killed otherwise - that he is fallible but isnā€™t prepared to atmit it to himself. It is finally shown that he doesnā€™t know everything that is about to happen.

Nice review scherp. !

The Grand Duel (the German title ā€œDrei Vaterunser fĆ¼r vier Halunkenā€ is pretty stupid again and means as much as ā€œThree Lordā€™s Prayers for four scoundrelsā€) is one of the first SWs Iā€™ve seen and I really like it. Itā€™s certainly no top notch SW but I think solid, slightly above average material. Back in the days, I immediatly fell in love with the score. To see German actors Horst Frank and Klaus GrĆ¼nberg is always a pleasure :slight_smile: !!!

[attachment older than 600 days, deleted by admin]

Yes, nice review again Scherp.
This was one of the first ā€˜non Leoneā€™ spaghettis I saw and it has always held a certain fondness as a result. Not a masterpiece but pretty solid stuff and I do like the score. Plus it has a bad guy in a white suit. What more could you want?

The last best western Van Cleef made for me.

I think I agree with Ennioo on this one. Van Cleefā€™s last decent Western.
Nice review, amigo!

A lesser, but entertaining enough spaghetti, some scenes are ok, others lack the inspiration. Another one which was made completely in Italy, with the typical cheap looking scenery as substitute for real landscapes.
The final duel is not ā€œgrandeā€ but good, with the now famous music theme for this scene being of course the best part of the film.

Saying that this was van Cleefā€™s best 70s western is not necessarily a praise of the film. Lee plays this with the same Sabata like self ironic attitude (and smile), which deprives great parts of the charisma he had in his early SWs.

And one time director Santi fails to prove that he would have been the right choice for Giu la testa.

:slight_smile:

I finally saw the version that is part of Mill Creekā€™s 20 SW set.

This was really good.

A good scenario and some really excellent cinematography in this movie. I loved some of the minor characters like the stagecoach driver and the butch bartender.

I watched the wild east release of this film. Good movie but a tad bit boring. Very origianl and suspenseful.

Iā€™de like to comment on the music. Geat stuff but when Van Cleef is slowy entering the besieged town in the beginning, it seemed to fit the scene but as the scene progressed, so did the music. To a point where it didnā€™t fit the scene any more. It started going into this Giu la testa esque opera like stuff which was a little bit overboard for just walking into a little town.

I seen the St. Clair vision version of this. I gotta admit for a st/ clair vision dvd it sure did look good. As for the movie itself, i thought it was great Spaghetti Western. Cleef plays a great character like normal. I would give it 4/5. The soundtrack for this is great. Oo yea one thing about this film. The man in the white outfit who was apart of the Saxons (seemed homosexual) what where all the red marks all over his face? They where very odd looking almost is if someone poked him a few time lol.

Very enjoyable movie with a great finale as many have already mentioned. Very cool dialogue at some points as well. The only thing that bothers me a bit is the score which gets too mellow every once in awhile. 4/5

Am I correct in thinking that the Wild East version is cut by seven minutes?
What can possibly be missing (besides the bloody hand print on Adamā€™s clothes)?!

I heard about it being cut too.

Though a while ago i did compare with the BIG SHOWDOWN version shown on ITV4 2/3 years ago (now shown on movies4men but i havenā€™t checked that) and iā€™m sure they were identical.

Iā€™ve been interested in getting Jerksiā€™s version just to see what the cut scenes are.