Tepepa (Giulio Petroni, 1969)

I thought this was the weakest scene in the film. The change of music all the time was annoying and the fiesta didnā€™t look that lively. I think Fidani made better job in Dead Men Donā€™t Make Shadows with his fiesta of 12 people :smiley:

But the movie is fantastic. I watched it first time with english subtitles on the missing english parts which was a huge improvement. One of my favorite scenes in the film is now the Milianā€™s dialogue in front of the dead monk, very powerful scene.

I hope to see dvd (or blu-ray) release with italian audio and english subs for the whole movie some day.

I just saw it and enjoy it quite a bit. It had some parts in Italian so thatā€™s not whatā€™s cut in the DSX DVD.
Reading what Bill San Antonio said, when Tepepa sees the hanging monk he just goes away in this version so that scene was cut. Iā€™ve no idea what else.
Despite this and the lesser quality of the DVD I still liked it, and the pacing didnā€™t seem off as it can happen with cut versions.

Have to watch this again, I donā€™t remember too much about this. The instant I saw it, it became my top 20 stuff at once.

Didnā€™t noticed till now that my Filmax dvd has about 30 minutes cut.
Is the Medusa dvd a good upgrade? Can anyone suggest which is the best release?

[quote=ā€œp.pereira, post:104, topic:532ā€]Didnā€™t noticed till now that my Filmax dvd has about 30 minutes cut.
Is the Medusa dvd a good upgrade? Can anyone suggest which is the best release?[/quote]

I have the Alan Young release and Iā€™m pretty happy with it. There is a bunch of scenes where the English audio drops out but, as I understand it, these never had English dub in the first place.

Thank you!

stay tuned for my german review of the bluray. uncut, finally :slight_smile:

Iā€™d be interested in hearing about it, would love to get a proper version of this filmā€¦

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Tepepa_BluRay_Rezension

There it is. Highly recommended! (Disc and Review :wink: )

[quote=ā€œLode, post:109, topic:532ā€]Tepepa BluRay Rezension - The Spaghetti Western Database

There it is. Highly recommended! (Disc and Review :wink: )[/quote]

Well done, Lode, a fine read

DidnĀ“t really care for this the first time I watched this film and was quite bored with it, but that was years ago. Will be buying the Koch dvd and give it a second chance.

[quote=ā€œLode, post:109, topic:532ā€]Tepepa BluRay Rezension - The Spaghetti Western Database

There it is. Highly recommended! (Disc and Review :wink: )[/quote]
You write about the restoration of Alan Young Pictures, but the version on the Koch-disc is different. The credits are different, the framing, in some scenes the colortiming. I actually donā€™t think itā€™s the same restoration used on the Italian AYP-DVD.

It is said in the commentary by Petroni himself. Maybe the AYP-restoration was use as the basic master and was restored again or so. So I am basically just quoting. I am not very sure if it was in the commentary or the featurette. I also donā€™t know if the commentary was produced especially for the Koch release. If it was on the italian DVD as well, it should be a mistake then. So correct me if i am wrong.

Lode, do the extras have English subtitles? I think Iā€™m going to take your reviewā€™s advice and Kaufen anyway!

No, it hast just complete german subtitles. There are only english subtitles for the italian parts. But you have the english audio track, so itā€™s just fine :slight_smile:

Lode, he only asked for the audio on the extras.

Ah, damn it. I m not very conccentrated today. Unfortunately, there are only german subtitles for the extras.

I didnā€™t think much of Petroniā€™s direction in Death Rides a Horse, but in Tepepa it is much better. Good from start to finish, especially the start with opening sequence that immediately illustrates misunderstanding between British doctor and local peons. Also, Steiner was great in his role, Wells is only support and a marketable name.

SPOILERS follow.
About the message film sends, especially the ending: Iā€™ve read in Petroni interview (Petroni on his westerns (interview) - The Spaghetti Western Database) that Solinas had not written himself the scene in which the kid and the ghost of Tepepa are riding off, and that he didnā€™t like the allegory of it. Itā€™s easy to see why he didnā€™t like the allegory: with that scene Tepepa is installed as romantic legend, it ignores the twist that happens near the end of the movie when we learn that Tepepa is in fact guilty of the crimes doctor is pursuing him for (although during the film it looked like he may be innocent). Solinas probably wanted to warn that we shouldnā€™t mythologize revolution, and especially its leaders (but revolution is still good and necessary thing to do), that is why Tepepa is idealistic revolutionary from the beginning, not the standard ignorant peon turned revolutionary. I also donā€™t like the killing of the doctor, although that is something that was maybe in original Solinasā€™ script, because the message its send feels just xenophobic. Unlike the ending in Quien Sabe? where it is very easy to support the elimination of foreign mercenary/CIA agent.

I also think that Petroniā€™s directing is better in Tepepa. But still messy in parts. Damiani would have been the better choice for the directorā€™s seat.

I think the ending is ok. The boy kills the doctor imo cause he assumes that he has killed Tepepa, or at least not really tried to save him. Otherwise it wouldnā€™t make much sense.

Tepepa probably is a better directed film than Death Rides A Horse in my view aswell, but still prefer watching Death Rides A Horse :smiley: .