Tepepa (Giulio Petroni, 1969)

Well I didnt find any topic on this movie yet. And it is for sure one of my favourites. I hears that some find it overlong and boring sometimes especially when compared to companeros.
I think it shows the revolution in a more detailed way. The betrayal of the politics and how the success of the peasant is taken away again by the military.
So what do you think about this one?

p.s.: how do i create a link on the tepepa site to this forum topic?

For more info visit:
DATABASE LINK: Tepepa - The Spaghetti Western Database (spaghetti-western.net)

Give Tepepa your rating out of 5 stars!

0 voters

Done. Click on “external link” on the edit menu and insert address of this page (edit menu temporarily unavailable).

Or just type in the tags *[ Forum Topic] around the address:-
*[http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,600.msg8738/topicseen.html#msg8738 Forum Topic]

If you want to put any feature on a wiki page and don’t know how to, you could look for a page already with this feature, click on edit to see what tags have been used, then click on your back button (without actually editing that page) :wink:

Nice western. I like Milian way of acting. Great. But I have to rewatch it sometimes… I was very tired and didn’t get everything 100% :slight_smile:

Good film but I’d like to see it in Italian language with subtitles. It’s very irritating to watch the AYP dvd because of the audio drop-outs on the english track.

This is quite different than the usual revolution-themed westerns and it’s one of the most serious and realistic spaghettis. Story is very good and characters are comprehensive. And of course, Milian and Welles are such a great actors which makes it really work.

I think its interesting that the role that john steiner plays never is mentioned. I think it is a cool role and it is played well. I also love the use of flashbacks in this movie. The german synchro that i saw on tv is okay. Of course i don´t know the original one. Would like to see a spag in italian to see how much I understand since spanish is quite close and im pretty good a t spanish. with italian subtitles it should be possible.

[quote=“valenciano, post:5, topic:532”]I think its interesting that the role that john steiner plays never is mentioned. I think it is a cool role and it is played well. I also love the use of flashbacks in this movie. The german synchro that i saw on tv is okay. Of course i don´t know the original one. Would like to see a spag in italian to see how much I understand since spanish is quite close and im pretty good a t spanish. with italian subtitles it should be possible.[/quote]That’s true, Steiner does a good job but with two gianst like Welles and Milian it’s obvious he will be overshadowed.

This was Orson Welles only role in a spaghetti, right?

I suppose, yes.

Well. Welles is and was very famous, but I think it is a mistake to concentrate on him in this movie too much. His role is of course important and well played. Dont expect it to be the Western with Welles.

I think this film is just standard viewing.

I think that Orson Welles is really bad in Tepepa.
He was one of the most charismatic actors ever, but he has acted in many disappointing films to get money for his own projects. It seems that he was very frustated over his unability to realise his own things. In the 60s he looked tired and bored in most of his roles, and unfortunately also in Tepepa, where he acts like a zombie.

[quote=“stanton, post:11, topic:532”]I think that Orson Welles is really bad in Tepepa.
He was one of the most charismatic actors ever, but he has acted in many disappointing films to get money for his own projects. It seems that he was very frustated over his unability to realise his own things. In the 60s he looked tired and bored in most of his roles, and unfortunately also in Tepepa, where he acts like a zombie.[/quote]

Well, could not agree more really.

Orson Welles had done his best work way before this movie, and was just going through the motions.

His boredom in this film passed on to me while watching I think.

Maybe it was a mistake to cast Orson Welles in this film, why choose him really?

Why not Eduardo Fajardo instead? He had done this type of role many times before in spaghettis. He is always good to see.

That is what i wanted to say with taking the focus of Welles. Yes he looks bored, but the general doesn´t have to be furious, he thinks he is the bigger man in the end.
But the rest of the movie is just very enjoable for me. Milian and Steiner are a kick ass duo whose intentions are not clear to one another, some nice action scenes are shown, and the story is logical and good. It goes much deeper into the revolution than other movies and shows why the peasants are willing to follow tepepa. And he is no robin hood like good guy.
And there are really strong moments, for example when the priest is hung and the people tell Tepepa it was because " he was a friend of Tepepa". I wont give up fighting for this movie, hehe.

[quote=“stanton, post:11, topic:532”]I think that Orson Welles is really bad in Tepepa.
He was one of the most charismatic actors ever, but he has acted in many disappointing films to get money for his own projects. It seems that he was very frustated over his unability to realise his own things. In the 60s he looked tired and bored in most of his roles, and unfortunately also in Tepepa, where he acts like a zombie.[/quote]Well. he’s really on the edge on this role. At times you’ll get the impression that he’s just bored of being in this film but in my opinion he finally delivers a good role of real cynic who doesn’t give a shit about anything.

It’s sad that Welles had so much problem in financing his films. His last project, Other side of the Wind was never finished as well as some other films.

"The law is just for people who can read!"
I’m really surprised more people don’t rate this film. It’s definitely in my SW TOP 20 (along with 30 or 40 other films :wink: I can’t make them all fit!)
This movie looks fantastic and the music supplied by Morricone is great too. I don’t find Welles’ performance boring, in fact he does a great job, can’t think of anyone I’d rather see play the part in this movie. What makes the film so enjoyable for me though is Milian’s superb performance and the relationship between Tepepa and the English Doctor.
A film with a strong political message, but also some brilliantly humorous scenes. Tepepa’s fight with the priest for a cross when facing the firing squad, finding the Doctor in bed with the Prison Officers wife, the kid in the sailor suit and Tepepa’s bath are all hilarious.
The lack of sound on the AYP DVD can be distracting but better to have the scenes re-inserted as they are without any audio than not re-inserted at all.

[quote=“The Halitosis Kid, post:16, topic:532”]The lack of sound on the AYP DVD can be distracting but better to have the scenes re-inserted as they are without any audio than not re-inserted at all.[/quote]i couldn’t agree more :slight_smile:

Does anyone know if there is a comlete version (fan-made obviously) with Italian audio and subs inserted into the silent scenes. That shouldn’t be too difficult to make.

1 Like

Yes, Orson Welles was a great actor, but as a Mexican, he’s not beliveable.

Milian rocks. Poor guy :’( :’( :’( I hate that gringo. (He acts well, too…)

I fell in love with Tomas. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Sean Mallory, post:19, topic:532”]Yes, Orson Welles was a great actor, but as a Mexican, he’s not beliveable.

Milian rocks. Poor guy :’( :’( :’( I hate that gringo. (He acts well, too…)

I fell in love with Tomas. :P[/quote]
You are such a girl! :wink: ;D

But tomas character is such an ass, i mean he raped the girl of the english guy. of course he wants to kill him.

I did not think welles was that unbelievable.