Tepepa (Giulio Petroni, 1969)

I also prefer Death Rides a Horse.

Watched it a second time. This time the Koch DVD.

The film is about as energetic as Welles in this one. The plot is rather simplistic and structure wise it doesnā€™t really work for me.

Acting is good and so is the music, but thatā€™s about it. 6/10

A nice western but not excellent.

Viewed this one again via the Koch dvd, and excellent quality as usual. As for the film this time around, well pretty much agree with Bad Lieutenantā€™s post above. The film is just to padded out for what it is. I could have crammed this into a 90 minute film. Overacting by the star and Welles looking bored as a fart are the killers in this for me.

custom cover, click image for full sized printable link:

[url]http://img.3ezy.net/a1/a_024a62dacc8f6.png[/url]

Watched this again the other night, this time the 132 minutes BluRay. According to Petroniā€™s introduction the first complete release ever (after ā€œbeing downright massacred by theatres over the worldā€). Certainly underrated, may be the best of the great Zapata westerns. I thought I had seen it all before, as the Koch Media DVD and the Italian DVD leave different things out. But to watch it completely uncut was something else. The Italian from General Video / Medusa Home Video by the way runs for 126 minutes, not 136, as it says on the SWDB Tepepa/DVD page, and the Koch DVD is not uncut either. Petroni introduces the BluRay as 136 minutes, according to the German translation, but it runs for 132, according to the cover (and my player).
Marc Biskupā€™s review should have an English translation!

Yeah? Which are the differences?

The discussion between Madero and Tepepa when the peasants lay down their weapons is left out in the Koch English DVD version. Some action scenes in the Koch DVD are not in the Italian DVD. If I remember right.

[quote=ā€œBill san Antonio, post:4, topic:532ā€]Good film but Iā€™d like to see it in Italian language with subtitles. Itā€™s very irritating to watch the AYP dvd because of the audio drop-outs on the english track.

This is quite different than the usual revolution-themed westerns and itā€™s one of the most serious and realistic spaghettis. Story is very good and characters are comprehensive. And of course, Milian and Welles are such a great actors which makes it really work.[/quote]

Iā€™m planning to make proper English subs for BluRay rip (131 min. version) of ā€œTepepaā€.
If by any chance good subs already exist, please let me know.
I am not talking about GOOGLE translated ones which float on the netā€¦

Yea, i have the eng subā€¦

tell me the duration.

[quote=ā€œReza, post:130, topic:532ā€]Yea, i have the eng subā€¦

tell me the duration.[/quote]

The rip Iā€™ve is 2:11:24; 23.972156fpsā€¦
Any chance u can share them?

Of courseā€¦
here it is:

http://uptobox.com/t542s4ka0a3l

Well I didnā€™t remember right.

At long last I found my Koch Tepepa DVD. It was inside a ZoltĆ”n KodĆ”ly CD cover (now I donā€™t know where that one is). So I had the opportunity to compare my three Tepepas: the Italian General Video from 2011, the Koch DVD and the Koch BluRay. And they are exactly the same. Only my memories of them were different. For this I must apologize, to Stanton and others. On my BR player the two DVDs run for 126 minutes, and the BR for 132 minutes. It had me fooled.

The best parts of Tepepa are in my opinion the dictated letter flashbacks and the last half hour.

Tepepa is certainly an interesting film but does it qualify as a western? In Companeros, The Mercenary and Bullet for the General, there are at least elements of the western genre. This one fails as a spaghetti western but works as a drama. I didnā€™t think much of Orson Wellesā€™ acting. Milian is always worth watching, however.

Why didnā€™t you think much of Wellesā€™s acting? Please elaborate.

Just watched this again recently, I give it a 3. Welles looks drunk as can be, glassy-eyed. Underwhelming. Some nice visuals and Milian of course but a tick above average for me overall after 2 viewings.

I thought that Welles gave a very lackadaisical performance. It may have been deliberate but I got the impression that Welles didnā€™t want to be there. It made the character come across as someone who just didnā€™t care about anything. If he was kicked out of the army and stripped of his position, I can imagine the characterā€™s responses to be exactly the same.

Yes, I guess youā€™re right, Welles didnā€™t want to be where he was at that time and considered the acting jobs he took mainly as a means to finance his own (mostly unrealized) movie projects. But still, doesnā€™t his haughty, world-weary, disdainful, maybe even arrogant performance perfectly convey Cascorroā€™s vicious, decadent character? For his La ricotta, Pier Paolo Pasolini made a brilliant casting decision when he gave Welles the role of a disgruntled movie director. ā€œIo sono una forza del passato ā€¦ā€

Tepepa is probably the worst acting Welles ever did. Only question is did he act at all?