Tepepa (Giulio Petroni, 1969)

Mexicans are no more likely to be clowns than anyone elseā€¦

The Mexican people are unfortunately always represent very stereotypical in SW.
Similar to the Indians in the U.S.Western. Or the Russians in Hollywood movies during the Cold War.

Just finished watching the Alan Young DVD (again) really love this film.
Interesting that Tepepa humms and la la las the filmā€™s main theme in the movie itself.
But man did they make a continuity error, Tepepa rapes the Doctorā€™s fiance while wearing the Doctorā€™s own gun, even though Tepepa and the Doctor havenā€™t met yet! :-\

Milian does the same thing in ā€œRun, Man, Run.ā€ :wink:

Sort of like it when this happens, bit of an inside laugh.

Me too. ;D

Definitively an improvement over Death Rides a Horse, but Iā€™m still not totally sold on Petroni. His direction feels a bit uninspired to me, I have to agree with Stanton about that, still he does a good job, itā€™s solidly directed and well-made, itā€™s just that there is a little something missing. But thatā€™s all for the slightly negative criticism because the movie as a whole is a superb, visually alluring, intelligent and emotionally engaging western. I loved it. Tepepa was one of the most memorable character I have come across in this genre, at first he appears to be a flawed, but charismatic and overall a good individual, but then we learn what he did the the doctorā€™s wife and the way he minimizes his horrible crimeā€¦ you just canā€™t feel the same about him. Also, heā€™s a rather unique revolutionary too because, well, heā€™s just that, not a bandit-turned-revolutionary or a revolutionary-turned-bandit, just a peon who truly believes in the revolution, which makes his action all the more shocking. How can someone with such a noble ideal be such a bastard? Milian, Steiner, Welles and also Torres, they all did a great job and played fantastic characters.

I think my favorite part was the celebration scene, the alternation between the loud and boisterous dance of the present and the dream-like, hauntingly beautiful dance of the past, coupled with Morriconeā€™s brilliant score and the look on Steinerā€™s face, just perfect.

The history of the 20th century is FILLED with them. The romance versus the reality.

We used to joke about this. Such as, imagine the headlines in the newspapers when such-and-such revolutionary liberation front wins:

ā€œFreedom, Democracy and Justice Victorious!ā€

ā€œExecutions Begin.ā€

Unfortunately, youā€™re right and thatā€™s something that will continue to amaze me for a long time, Iā€™m sure. And great joke, Iā€™ll definitively remember that one! :slight_smile:

Morriconeā€™s soundtrack for this one is amazing. Fits like a glove.
You can listen to it here:

Itā€™s really no different from how women are portrayed in 99% of westerns: theyā€™re either passive victims, or treacherous backstabbing liars, or they are just to there to get beaten, shot, raped and humillated. As for the lack of indigenous blood, the spanish gipsys do look a lot like mexicans thanks to the arabian blood, which both mexicans and spanish people share in common thanks to the occupation of arabian tribes in spain in the past. Also, Xantos do takes up a rifle in CompaƱeros eventually, and his followers are fully aware that they need to fight back if they want to survive, For a far more one dimensional representation of mexican characters i would go for A Bullet for the General, where Gian Maria Volanteā€™s character is a super naive mexican bandito that gets tricked by an ā€œevilā€ gringo to do what he tells him to do.

Is there an english fanversion out there using the full dvd with subtitles for the parts in Italian?

Thanks

Yep there sure is.

There is a version on CG in compressed format

Would like to get a full DVD if there exists one

Have the full uncompressed dvd r 9 version to this. But my burner only burns dvd r 5 which I have done copies for people in the past. So if you had a copy from someone who has a dvd r 5 of this version for example it would still be compressed.

Yes but there is still a big difference to a downloaded version

DVD-r 5 is ok to me

Well yes I agree on that.

Does anyone have any info on the DSX version (i.e. audio, quality, length)? I that the claim English audio on their website, but Iā€™m not sure how accurate that is?

Thanks

The DSX DVD includes an anamorphic widescreen english language version. The transfer is not very good, looks quite blurry when you watch it in full screen. Hereā€™s a few random screenshots:

Length is 116:11 NTSC. Havenā€™t seen it yet so I canā€™t tell whatā€™s cut.

Thanks. That doesnā€™t look great. I sort of imagine the scenes missing might be the ones without English audio on the Italian DVD, but thatā€™s an uninformed guess.