Tepepa (Giulio Petroni, 1969)

Did Milian actually get on with anyone?

Just wondering, is this the only spaghetti western that stars Orsen Welles?

Yes.

[quote=ā€œscherpschutter, post:60, topic:532ā€]There something about this in Marco Giustiā€™s book, pag. 523

In short, this is what Giusti says (itā€™s based on two Milian interviews and a conversation with John Steiner):

Tomas apparently was afraid Welles had only come to Spain for the cash, and wasnā€™t really interested in making a movie with a young actor like he. At the same time Tomas felt that he was the star of the movie and told Petroni that he didnā€™t want to play second fiddle to Welles. according to John Steiner, Tomas ad Orson didnā€™t get along very well because Tomas was convinced Orson strongly disliked him.[/quote]Thanks Scherp :slight_smile:

[quote=ā€œMing, post:61, topic:532ā€]Did Milian actually get on with anyone?[/quote]For what itā€™s worth, Iā€™ve seen an interview where he said he wants to be buried in Rome next to Bombolo[url]http://italian.imdb.com/name/nm0093585/[/url] :wink:

Franco Nero and Milian got alongeven if they had a tif on set.

Eccoli :

E lasciami fini !

Que!

Viewed the fan edit version where someone has inserted english subtitles for the sections that had no english options. Subsequently the film flowed better as I knew what was going on at all times.

Not a favourite of mine, but did enjoy more this time round.

Where did you get it?

In a trade with someone.

I ended up getting the Cultcine version, but itā€™s only 126 minutes, so I want to try and find the full version of the film. Anyone know a good place to look?

This is the version, at least itā€™s the length of the version.

Yes there is confusion here though. The Alan Young Italian version I have says 136mins. That is the uncut length I believe according to Giusti also. Yet when you play the Alan Young disc it only lasts 126mins and I donā€™t think there is another 10 mins lying around anywhere. So I think 126mins is as uncut as you can get.

All this versions are from the Italian DVD, and this DVD runs 126 min (Pal = 131 min theatrical). Question should be only if itā€™s with subs or not.

I have a fan bootleg with German dubs from the same source. Unless Koch releases Tepepa Iā€™m more than happy with this.

I see, thanks for clearing this up for me.

There is a new Japanese DVD of IMAGICA.
Audio is Italian and Japanese. And with Japanese subtitles.

In volume 1 of ā€œWestern allā€™italianaā€, it states that in most versions of the film the final shot of Tepepa silhouetted against the setting sun has been cut. However, this is happily included on the Italian Alan Young DVD.

Apart from the audio drop-outs, the Alan Young DVD is really excellent and packed with lots of extra features. Most notable are the deleted scene with Tepepa and Madero, and Petroniā€™s directorā€™s commentary (shame I donā€™t understand very much Italian though as there are no subtitles :().

He is in good company. I know many, many, many Mexicans and one thing about the SWs-- very, very few feature anything like believable Mexicans. I just donā€™t worry about it. Just as I donā€™t worry about weird ā€œhistoryā€ or beautiful Almeria landscapes which do NOT resemble the border region (with the possible exception of that stretch between Del Rio and Langtry, Texas centered on the confluence of the Rio Grande and the Pecos).

Right, Mexicans arenā€™t as humorous as theyā€™re portrayed to be in SWā€™s.

SW depictions of Mexicans are caricatures ā€“ stupid, passive peones; outrageous banditos; extraordinarily cruel bourgeois villains; ridiculously idealistic dreamers (Xantos and Ramirez), for example. In addition, most Mexicans have Indian blood and that is not apparent in the faces of the Italian and Spanish actors or Almerian extras.