Talk Whatever

I’m sure the multi billion dollar company will be fine with you getting one free product :joy:

3 Likes

Well, Eureka couldn’t cancel my order as it has already been shipped. So I will have these 3 movies twice soon. (sigh)
I should’ve been more patient and waited a bit instead of placing the order so soon.
Time to find someone who is interested in buying them from me, I guess.

They don’t allow returns for unopened items?

If you feel a bit guilty selling stuff you got for free you can always donate proceeds to a charity. Or even the SWDB. Others have done that before. :wink:

A Dean Martin western is coming from Vinegar Syndrome. Vinegar Syndrome is stepping up their game.

A follow up to my ‘tale of woe’

The laptop I have, running Windows 8.1 is now back to peak performance - Long story abridged, I downloaded a program to clean up the registry, Win Thruster, and after a few days of fiddling about … we’re back in business. Everything is working perfectly, if not faster than before.

The program cost me £26 for a year’s subscription … but that’s a drop in the ocean considering the worry this problem was causing - I had contemplated taking the machine to a high street tech shop, but like unscrupulous motor mechanics, who can be trusted?, and what would be the price for servicing the machine, or would it be a long term fix.

Anyway, I thought I’d mention the success with this clean up program in case anyone else was having similar issues.

Cheers. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Glad to hear that everything is back up and running okay, Aldo. :+1:

3 Likes

This started off in the ‘What are you listening to at the moment’ thread, but it turned in to me reminiscing about things…you know what I’m like for that… :roll_eyes:

Anyway, listening to ‘The Great Escape’ Soundtrack brought back so many childhood memories…

‘The Great Escape’ is not just for Christmas…

Not only my joint-first film of all-time (the other being ‘The Good, The Bad and the Ugly’), but one with a stupendous story-line that encouraged me to investigate the real-life 1944 tragic events of ‘Stalag Luft 3’.
It is a truly majestic, beautiful film, with a soundtrack to match, by the genius that was/and still is, Elmer Bernstein.

(Above: the iconic poster of McQueen that I had hanging on my wall for many years)

Gotta tell ya…the images and music from this film have been ingrained in me ever since I was a wee nipper, and they still continue to inspire me when things get tough in the ‘real world’…

My love for this film grows ever year…but that’s just nostalgic, sentimental me… :wine_glass: :grin:

Not that it matters; but I vaguely remember there being a photo in a family album (probably taken by one of my older brothers), which was in black & white, and showed the TV in the background, with Steve McQueen (Bud Ekins) jumping over the barbed wire. It’s like someone at home had taken that iconic image on camera either by accident, or by design. I remember the image, but don’t have the photo.
I think it must have been by accident…no such thing as video etc, to know exactly when that moment would happen.

I must have only been aged 6 or 7 at the time…but still have a vague - and I do mean vague - memory of the excitement that the family had when we received a weeks notice (Radio Times), that a favourite film would be shown in the next seven days on the BBC or ITV…
In those days, we had no computers, no internet…We relied on the news channels…and we know how reliable they are, don’t we… :roll_eyes:

But I still maintain that it was a better time. Pros and cons for then and now, as always, of course…

It is so strange how your mind clings on to certain things from the past, but can’t remember what happened yesterday…
I wish I still had that pic…

Sorry if I sound preachy for the next part
Wishing, remembering, being nostalgic and sentimental…that’s great, and beautiful and so what!
It’s okay to dwell in the past, to remember, and to mourn missed opportunities, and the girls we could have had.
We then have stolen chances, and stupid bloody choices…but that’s just us being us.

Anyway…for all of you young SW scoundrels, aged 20-75, I suggest that you heed the advice of a ‘middlin’ 60 year old, and go out there and enjoy life to the full.
But: always listen to Jimminy Cricket (your conscience).

7 Likes

Wise words @Toscano

Anyway, just wanted to ask everyone a quick question. Is it just me or have Spaghetti Westerns consumed your minds too?

Like I think of these films 24/7. I was doing my Swedish homework earlier, but became distracted and found myself watching Garringo. That really made me realize just how my bad concentration skills are nowadays, but also the fact that I can’t escape SWs. Or maybe it’s just because I’ve been a little stressed lately

Don’t worry, I did manage to finish my homework.

6 Likes

It’s not just you… :grinning:

We all love SWs to varying degrees…and I think that you are probably still in the ‘honeymoon’ stage, and simply can’t get enough of them - but that’s a good thing. :+1:

When I was at Secondary school in 1976, and had just seen ‘The Good, The Bad and The Ugly’ on TV, I couldn’t concentrate on lessons, or homework, or anything else really, except locating as much literature as possible on Clint Eastwood, and this strange new phenomena called Spaghetti Westerns that had ‘invaded’ my life…

SW’s are such a wonderful genre to be a part of, and interested in, so don’t worry if your new passion in life tends to dominate at times…and if they help you to deal with stress, then so much the better. Do what works for you.
Great films, great music, iconic showdowns, and meaningful discussions on ‘SWDB’ with a great bunch of like-minded folk…It’s no wonder your mind is so excited about it all.
Happy viewing… :cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

In the mornings, while I am working, I usually have on a channel we have here in the U.S. called Heroes & Icons as background noise. I’m fond of it because they have on a line up of old westerns in the morning including Maverick, Steve McQueen’s Wanted: Dead or Alive, Eastwood’s Rawhide, and The High Chaparral.

Another of the old westerns they show is Have Gun - Will Travel with Richard Boone. This morning, there was an episode that first aired on March 8,1958 called “Birds of a Feather” and in this episode, Boone’s Paladin jumps into the middle of a feud between two rival railroad companies who have turned a Colorado town into a battle zone. Armed guards are stationed outside their offices which face each other on either side of the street and all of the surrounding businesses are boarded up. Paladin ends up playing both sides, selling his gun to the highest bidder, in attempt to bring the war to an end.

Edited

Sound familiar? Given that this precedes Yojimbo by over three years and, of course, A Fistful of Dollars as well, it makes me wonder what the inspiration was for the story. Was it the work of Dashiell Hammett and, if so, was it Red Harvest or The Glass Key? The similarities are far too glaring in my opinion.

5 Likes

Is it just me or does the Jack of diamonds of my mom’s card deck low key look like Gianni Garko? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I think he looks like Trevor Howard … but the beard and ‘Tash’ are very Garko :wink:

4 Likes

Garko is way cooler. This guy looks cartoonishly weird.

1 Like

Garko didn’t look very cool in that Tilorer movie I recently watched

Tell us more, please?

Some Fred Flintstone funnies

Every “Hold it! HOOOOOOOLD IT!” in the Flintstones. (youtube.com)

The Flintstones | Fred Falls Flat On His Face | Boomerang UK :uk: (youtube.com)

Fred Flintstone so mad he’s Mumbling (youtube.com)

I like this…

The ‘Saw’ actor singing…I’d love to know if this is a ‘cut /mutilated version’… :wink:

Tobin Bell…is there anything this man can’t do?

“Let’s play a game…”

1 Like

It looks to me like Rik Mayall (or, at least, a character), from one of the BBC’s ‘Blackadder’ TV series.

Failing that, it could be Sir Walter Raleigh, who invented the bike… :wink:

2 Likes

Stopped at the Scarface house

5 Likes