Talk Whatever

Congratulations on the new grandbaby!

2 Likes

Congrats.

2 Likes

I think if George was still here heā€™d be against it all. I think heā€™d just be happy if people wanted to listen to his music. Sorry if I sound a bit pedanticā€¦being from Merseyside it was just very strange.

3 Likes

Congratulations.

2 Likes

Not at all ā€¦ itā€™s the sort of thing that might wind me up too, but I usually avoid watching these type of shows, in fact most TV. A quick scan of the listings, just in case thereā€™s something of interest, otherwise I canā€™t stand it ā€¦ also, I was never going to see the ā€˜Coronationā€™ concert ā€¦ but FFS, Gary Barlow ā€¦ bland, mediocre, tedious, but apparently still ambitious ā€¦ these events are for the same people who watch, Ant nā€™ Dec, Michael McIntyre, Noelā€™s House Party etc ā€¦ i.e ā€¦ simple folk! :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Feeling a bit under the weather, planning on watching either Une Corde, Un Colt or Le Cercle Rouge today.

1 Like

If you ever go to Amsterdam, then you must visit the media store Concerto (Utrechtsestraat 54-60). I never knew this was such a great store. Iā€™ve been there for the first time. They had the limited blu ray of Run Man Run and Big Gundown. And I found this Django LP. I was in doubt, but I didnā€™t buy it. I donā€™t collect the LPā€™s. But I do have the LP of TGTBATU on my wall.

6 Likes

Youā€™re much stronger than me. I wouldā€™ve bought that instantly even though I donā€™t own a record player :rofl:

2 Likes

The feeling when you go to a store that has a big dvd selection but the only spaghetti westerns they have are Django and For a Few Dollars more

Network DVD

Iā€™m not sure how true this is, but Iā€™ve seen a few rumours on the internet, that are saying (hinting), that the highly popular British site, ā€˜Network DVDā€™, has gone into liquidation in the past few daysā€¦

It would be an absolute tragedy if it has, because this wonderful company has been responsible for keeping TV and film nostalgia alive for goodness knows how many years now.

Does anyone have any information to confirm, or deny, the ā€˜liquidationā€™ rumour?

1 Like

Just that I also heard the same, but Iā€™ve no other info - I completely agree that it is a tragedy - Network are an exceptional archive for classic film and especially television shows, that are likely never to be seen again unedited, because of todayā€™s ā€˜ultra-sensitiveā€™ population ā€¦

Sensitive to their own needs that is, and completely ignorant to concepts of artistic integrity, historical importance and freedom of expression.

2 Likes

How very, very trueā€¦

1 Like

Hope this doesnā€™t turn out to be true. I have a lot of network releases on my shelves and theyā€™ve always made excellent releases

2 Likes

I heard it too, but even though boutique labels continue to florish (e.g. Radiance) other players come and go. There is some movement in Germany, too for example. Plaion is getting bigger and bigger, they are now distributing all Sony, StudioCanal and much of Warner Brothers exclusively, that is massive. And they are thus becomeing an anti-Leonine, an upstart that has consolidated much other distribution business, including with Universal etc.
Smaller labels exist that I havenā€™t heard from in years, but then again many German labels are basically 1-person shops, this includes Explosive Media, which is at least mostly operating like a bigger place.

I remember when Anchor Bay folded and Blue Underground emerged, sometimes a bit of movement is good, this is the nature of free enterprise, and often some legacy players struggle to make ends meet in an environment that has drastically changed over the last years mostly due to streaming and consumer behavior (only nerds buy discs, etc)

3 Likes

Nerds and old people
Or old nerds
Guess thatā€™s why my shelves are so heaving

1 Like

hey at least weā€™re not geeks, too :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t be so sure :nerd_face:

4 Likes

Make it deviant geeks. :laughing:

4 Likes

I donā€™t know what you all are talking about. I think Iā€™m cool. :sunglasses: :grin:

1 Like

Yes, thatā€™s us alright. By reliable judge