Talk Whatever

I can second @Max…I can’t remember what exactly I’ve bought from them over the years but I’ve deffo ordered from them more than a few times and never had an issue.

1 Like

Thanks @Bill_Willer :smiley:

Bonjourno Amigos,

Has anyone else besides myself feel like Arrow Video’s been getting an unfair berating on Facebook lately?

While I’m not too keen they’re only doing Giallos, SWs, Poliziotteschi, and Japanese Yakuza genre films sporadically now, I still think they’re a fine quality company, even with Zavvi (who has the craziest up and down reputation I’ve ever seen) becoming a major holder in the company. Yes, they’ve dealt with a lot of discs having issues that need replacement, but I love their honesty in that they admit to these problems right away instead of tiptoeing around the issue like fearing some money hungry big boss will chew out an employee for being honest with a customer. You’ve gotta respect that integrity to not lie to your loyal fan base.

I’m probably still a little naïve on how business works, but still I feel Arrow deserves a little leeway for being a top notch company that never skimped on anything with its releases.

1 Like

As I typically try to avoid the insipid opinions of those on Facebook, Twitter, and a great deal of other mass consumption social media, I hadn’t heard anything about this. What sort of things are they saying?

And I’m not knocking anyone that participates in social media of those types. I just find it is better for my overall serenity and well being on the whole to avoid them. :laughing:

I’ll also add that Arrow may not release as many titles I am interested in as I would like but I do appreciate all of them that they do.

2 Likes

they may have gone ab it more coporate since the Hut group (which owns zavvi and a bunch of other places) bought them (but this is quite a while back already), but I havent heard anything much. what are they saying? arrow is is still a stellar company in terms of what they put out.
i am lately becomeing a huge Eureka fan though

2 Likes

The main gripes that people are having is that nearly every of their 4K releases has had some kind of QC problem. Although, James Flower tweeted saying that this month and next month are only going to have 2 announcements so they can step back and focus on improving quality control throughout the company and should return to the normal release schedule for the announcements in July.

I think there are a few general complaints as well like you said about the Hut group. Apparently delivery from the Arrow Site has become less reliable and I know I was personally annoyed that they increased the sale prices for regular releases to £9 this year.

I do think most people on social media are just being annoying cause Arrow seem to be very reliable with replacement programs and they always do stellar jobs on releases.

2 Likes

I’m afraid I’ve had quality control issues with Arrow relatively recently. The booklet I received with my Shaw Bros. boxset was faulty (the first 18 or so pages duplicated, several pages missing altogether), and Arrow twisted and turned and wriggled in every direction not to deal with the issue and send me a new booklet, even though I’d showed them pictures of the fault. To this day, their official position is that “rest assured, we are looking into this issue” (they also offered me a partial refund to accept the booklet as it is). In the end I bought a second set from Amazon and returned the faulty one to them. All sorted, no bother, in two days. Amazon 1, Arrow 0.

They release some terrific titles for sure but it seems abundantly clear to me that they are experiencing a hell of a lot more quality control problems since they were bought out. Many of their recent releases - more the UHD releases than anything else - seem to come with an urgent notice on social media about quality issues and for purchasers to stand by for news on disc replacement. Don’t get me wrong: Roughly 200 Arrow/Arrow Academy titles in my collection indicates that I’m definitely a fan, but they’re not untouchable or infallible and, lately, it just hasn’t been up to standard. I really hope they pull it around because, from the outside looking in, it appears they’re becoming more interested in their streaming platform than in their physical media and that’s sad news for the collectors among us.

I wholeheartedly agree with @admin in that, at present, Eureka are the firm to beat as far as I’m concerned. They’re about to bring out their first UHD release, a boxset of the first three Police Story movies (although since I already have parts I and II on blu tbh I’ll probably just go for the standalone blu-ray release of Police Story 3: Supercop).

5 Likes

Wow that’s some horrendous customer service. Hopefully, this upcoming restructuring can help prevent stuff like that from leaving the assembly line.

5 Likes

btw I review some Eureka titles on furiouscinema.com for those interested

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing Asa that’s really surprising. I’d been led to believe that they were better than that.

4 Likes

Oh I’ve no doubt that, for every bad experience like mine, there’ll be twenty tales of great customer service from Arrow. They have previously had a stellar reputation in this regard. But I am definitely among those who feel that, since the buyout, there have been some kinks which still need ironing out; Certainly in the area of quality control.

FWIW, I’m still a fan, still buying from them (albeit via some other outlet such as Amazon or HMV), and still rooting for them. :+1:

4 Likes

Deffo, I am too.

4 Likes

For all those folk who are celebrating Queen Elizabeth’s Platinum commemorations over the long weekend, please have a great time doing so. If you are not, then have a great time whatever. :smiley:

I’m not a royalist by any means; but, when all is said and done, Elizabeth is doing well for her age, and has done a wonderful job representing the UK. :champagne:

She is also the last of her generation, having lived through the Second World War, and known more Prime Ministers than we can shake a stick at.

I gladly raise my glass of red to her. :wine_glass:

Films of royal worth to watch are:
‘Anne of a Thousand Days’
‘Mary, Queen of Scots’ (Glenda Jackson and Vanessa Redgrave)
‘A Man For All Seasons’
‘Elizabeth’ (Cate Blanchett)
‘Elizabeth; The Golden Age’

I hope that this doesn’t sound ‘twee’, but however you decide to spend the next few days, please make memories that last with your loved ones; for I seriously doubt that we will ever witness such an event again in our lifetime. :+1: :smiley: :beer:

2 Likes

I like Queen Elizabeth too @Toscano, she’s a grand lady who’s led a very interesting life. She’s had her ups and downs like everybody else and had to deal with more scandals than she should have, but she’s a survivor and that’s what I love about her.

I first learned about her from from my Sophomore Year English teacher in High School, he and his wife vacationed in England every year, he showed us a little documentary on England and it had a good segment on the Queen.

She’s actually on my list of famous people I want to write a letter to one of these days, and I really should right now since she’s celebrating her Platinum Jubilee.

1 Like

Hey Amigos,

I found a copy of Koch’s Django Italo Western Box, brand new on Amazon Germany from a seller called Cover Music. They do ship to the US, but the price tag is 99.90 Euros, about 106 USD, plus 14 USD in shipping. Do any of you think the price tag is too much, or should I “grab the bull by the horns” and take a splurge plunge. I still have some B Day money coming as my parents had to hold off on giving me their gift as we had our central air in our Fall to Spring house fixed, and a few other things came up too.

Those are some excellent movie choices, my friend. :+1:

1 Like

Hard to say because it’s so expensive. Do you have any versions of any of them?

There’s a used copy on amazon UK for £43. If you aren’t bothered about it being used you can probably save a lot of money by getting it from there and using one of those reshipper services.

2 Likes

I just bought Kreator’s new album. It has a intro song called Sergio Corbucci is Dead. For a moment I thought I was dreaming when I saw that because… just weird.

3 Likes

I just had to pull it up and listen to it. Very short track but definitely kind of Morricone-ish.

1 Like