Talk Whatever

Has anyone seen the new TV series about Billy The Kid? Is it worth checking out?

5 Likes

An interesting mash up of images there

A unique piece indeed! From what country is it?

Looks like a Ghanaian poster. They make some brilliant posters over there.

Yes, you van follow them on Instagram @deadlypreygallery Hilarious stuff.

1 Like

Hey everyone. I’ve recently started diving into classic American films and would love some recommendations. Most of my film knowledge is from cult films so I don’t really have much of an idea about what I should check out.

So far I’ve seen 12 Angry Men, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Maltese Falcon and Casablanca and I’m planning to watch the original King Kong and Citizen Kane soon. I’m really loving Bogart atm so if there are any other classic Bogart films I should check out please let me know.

5 Likes

I think The Big Sleep with Bogart will be a good choice.

5 Likes

HIgh Sierra and Key Largo are a couple of other Bogart films worth your time.

At least some of these I’m sure you’ve probably seen - like The Godfather and The Godfather Part II. The Bridge on the River Kwai, Apoclaypse Now, Chinatown, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, Bonnie and Clyde, Taxi Driver, High Noon, Frankenstein, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Those are some off the top of my head that I consider classic.

5 Likes

Actually, what do you mean with classic american films? From the films you mentioned I guess 30-50’s period?

2 Likes

Yeah, I probably should have specified that. Mainly 30-50’s like you said.

1 Like

Double Indemnity (Wilder, 1944) - in my humble opinion, the best movie I’ve seen made prior to 1950
Vertigo (Hitchcock, 1958) - My favourite movie of the 1950s
Gun Crazy (Lewis, 1950)
Key Largo (Huston, 1948) - A Bogart/Bacall movie
White Heat (Walsh, 1949)
The Big Sleep (Hawks, 1946) - Bogart/Bacall
This Gun For Hire (Tuttle, 1942)
Scarface (Hawks, 1932)
Dark Passage (Daves, 1947) - Bogart/Bacall
The Killing (Kubrick, 1956)
The Big Heat (Lang, 1953)
The Big Combo (Lewis, 1955)
The Killers (Siodmak, 1946)
The Killers (Siegel, 1964)
The Naked City (Dassin, 1948)
In a Lonely Place (Ray, 1950) - Bogart
Beat the Devil (Huston, 1953) - Bogart

:+1:

4 Likes

Oops! :grimacing: I just thought you meant movies that are considered American classics. At least a few of these fit though.

2 Likes

If you’re into melodrama: An Affair to remember, All that Heaven Allows, Imitation of Life.
I consider these as some of the best films of the Hollywood’s golden era.

1 Like

Thanks all. Got a nice chunky watchlist to work through now!

1 Like

The Public Enemy starring James Cagney is one of my personal favorites. Still really holds up today.

6 Likes

Bad Day at Black Rock starring Spencer Tracy is a must see from the era, too.

3 Likes

Today i visited Miniature Wunderland in Hamburg (fantastic work!) and found this Western Town, NOT in the Amerika sektion, but in Italy as a tribute to the Spaghetti Western industry.

If you look closely to the left, you will recognize the flashback scene from Once Upon a Time in the West. It doesn’t make much sense, as that scene was filmed in the United States (and this whole exhibit would arguably fit better in Spain) but still quite cool!

11 Likes

Wow, that’s really cool!!! Hopefully one day I can make it over to Germany and visit this location and Pullman City in the Bavarian Forest.

3 Likes

Well, I’m fortunate enough to live in central Sweden (about 60 miles west of Stockholm), which is just two days of driving from Hamburg. It’s a bit more cumbersome if you live on the other side of the Atlantic - but well worth the trip, I assure you.

3 Likes