Talk Whatever

That’s great news … here in the British Isles, movies4men used to show a lot of B Spags, but since they’ve renamed themselves ‘Great Movies Action’, they aren’t making any effort … maybe once a year something interesting turns up, but it’s mostly endless repeats of Van Damme and Steven Seagal plop … The channel is owned by Sony, and seems to be a way of selling advertising space rather than a dedicated niche programmer … lots of filler, like episodes of M.A.S.H, which is hardly Action … Booooo ! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Could be @LankyGringo, I actually only first became aware of the genre myself thanks to the thread on here. so might be that word is getting around on them.

1 Like

I don’t have any streaming services so I don’t know if the popularity of Italian cinema has started to grow here in Finland.

On TV, Spaghetti westerns are shown a few times a year. The Dollars trilogy and OUATIW are on TV once or twice a year and one channel has “Western of the month”. They’re usually old American westerns (this month’s was High plains drifter) but there have been spaghs too, for example Death Rides a Horse, Trinity is still my name and Cemetery without crosses. If there’s a western on tv in Finland, it’s usually a modern American western like In a valley of violence and the same movies are recycled over and over again, which gets a little boring after a while. It would be refreshing to see a western that hasn’t already been on tv.

About other Italian movies I’m not so sure. I guess there are some Italian films on tv sometimes but they aren’t giallos or anything like that, but rather drama movies from 1990s or something newer.

4 Likes

I noticed that Svenska Yle showed it some time ago (Don’t know if the same content air on both Finnish and Swedish-language TV), but unfortunately it had expired when I saw it (and it’s probably not accessible from my side of the Baltic Sea). It seems then that Yle beats SVT on that issue, for the only westerns which air here - with extremely rare exceptions - are American ones and the mainstream SW canon - that is, The Dollars Trilogy and Terence Hill comedies.

2 Likes

Yeah, the Swedish/Yle Teema tv channel is the one that has The Western of the Month thingy. But the last time I remember them showing Death Rides a Horse was some years ago so there are some differences

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: UK TV ticker - spaghetti westerns on television

Has some western vibes… and looks like a shit ton of fun

2 Likes

Yes, that shot does indeed seem very funny and lighthearted. (Sorry, I’m not really comfortable with gory action movies).

But it’s about the lapland war, right? That’s an interesting setting… and yes, the western inclinations are nice.

Can’t say because I haven’t been to The US in years but I hope so. Hopefully then it’ll start to gain more attention here in The UK as well.

1 Like

Hello everyone! I’d like to broaden my knowledge of American history between 1835-1890 ish~
Does anyone have any good nonfiction book recommendations I can pick up? ^^

1 Like

These are just some that I really enjoyed reading:

Battle Cry of Freedom by James McPherson. A nice look at the events that led to the Civil War and the war itself.

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown. Very depressing but impressively researched and written account of the demise of the “American Indian”. It is considered a classic.

Blood and Thunder: The Epic Story of Kit Carson and the Conquest of the American West by Hampton Sides. Kind of self explanatory. :smile:

I found all of these entertaining and informative. American history is what I studied in college so I have ready plenty to recommend if you want more.

4 Likes

my go-to US history textbook in college was the Enduring Vision, but others swear on “a people’s history”. Another book I enjoyed was “dangerous nation” by Kagan. But that’s not as specific a timeframe as you asked.

1 Like

Thank you Brian! :pray:
Didn’t take long to find these, I’ll start with Battle Cry of Freedom and Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee

ooh I’ll keep you to that when I’ve finished these :+1: :sunflower:

1 Like

Oh that’s ok! ^^ Thank you for these recommendations! :raised_hands:

On Youtube, I,ve just found this heart-felt dedication by a father and his two sons to ‘The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly’ final shoot-out. Bravo to them… :cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

Hah, that’s awesome! Love that they matched the bears to the characters.

1 Like

Mike Malloy who does a lot of special features on Eurocrime flicks has just uploaded this video talking about Jorge Riviero’s lost Sartana films. It’s an interesting watch

8 Likes

Wow, very interesting. Lost trilogy of Sartana films, new holy grail for sw fans.

2 Likes

Yes most definitely! Just fact that they were shot in Almeria and produced by Siciliano is huge. Probably above the majority of the Sartana spin offs in terms of quality…

2 Likes

Very interesting

1 Like